News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best value and experience with Steelies

Started by hemi68charger, December 09, 2013, 10:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..

I have rethought my future wheel selection for the Daytona. I was going to get a set of 15x8's with one pair with a 4" backspacing and the other pair ( for the front ) with 4.5" backspacing. I know there's the Stockton and Wheels Vintique versions, but are there any others out there? nearly $100 per wheel seems rather expensive for a powder coated steelie......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Cheaper than real Hemi Steelies! ..............Which I would be happy to sell you a set of!  :lol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 09, 2013, 10:48:52 AM
Cheaper than real Hemi Steelies! ..............Which I would be happy to sell you a set of!  :lol:

I don't need no-stinkin' Hemi wheels !!!!   :icon_smile_big:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Just 6T9 CHGR

Got my 15x7's from Summit Racing...Wheel Vintiques version.  I think I paid $92 a rim a few years ago?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoParJW

I bought wheel vintiques for my car.
One thing about them I don't like is that they are lug-centric instead of hub-centric like the originals, I also think the contact patch from wheel to drum is a bit small compared to the originals.

From what I've read on the net it shouldn't be a problem, but maybe it's something to consider  :Twocents:

Also, the wheel vintiques need painting.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

DadsCharger00

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 09, 2013, 06:47:33 PM
Got my 15x7's from Summit Racing...Wheel Vintiques version.  I think I paid $92 a rim a few years ago?
Which version?  I'm diggin the look but want the right wheels

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wheel Vintiques is the company that makes them.  The "version" comment was because there are other companies that make them (or made them...Stockton Wheel was one at the time along with Specialty Wheels as well) 
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1970Moparmann

Chris,

I tried to leave a PM, but your mailbox is full.  I figure I'll see if you get this by responding to this thread.

On the Steelies, a few questions - where did you get the center caps?   Also, how are they holding up since this thread is a while ago? 

Did you have your wheels painted or powder coated?   Not sure which direction I'm going to go.   Going to put them on my Coronet.

Thanks! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger-Bodie

I got a set of the repops from Summit. I thought they were very soft steel . The lugs gawled them quickly. I then bought a set of used mid 70s wheels and liked them much better.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 01, 2015, 03:11:57 PM
I got a set of the repops from Summit. I thought they were very soft steel . The lugs gawled them quickly. I then bought a set of used mid 70s wheels and liked them much better.

Brian, thanks for the note.   Any feedback on repo caps?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger-Bodie

Yes. The caps currently available are chromed aluminum ones. They look nice but not exactly like the original stainless ones. The last srt I got had 3 stainless and one chrome aluminum.  All they could do was send me 3 more aluminum ones.

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

I got my caps repro as well from Year One.  I had the same problem as Brian (3 SS & 1 crappy Aluminum one)  Got Summit to send me another set with the same 3-1 ratio!   Made me a set of four SS ones & sent back the rest.

I had my rims expertly painted by my bud Bill440RT :cheers:  Holding up real well.  Just swapped out my Cragars for the steelies last week for my annual "change of scenery" ;)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

oldcarnut

MRW racing wheels made up mine.  They were lug centered too but that's just a balancing issue to make sure your tire guys does it right  although it was a little surprising how many around here didn't know what I was talking about.  The have more centers than shown on their website.