News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small Rant About Vendors Shipping Prices

Started by A383Wing, September 12, 2015, 04:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6spd68

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 18, 2015, 11:42:39 AM
Quote from: ECS on September 18, 2015, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on September 18, 2015, 08:35:14 AM
Every mail order company should be able to have this figured out in their prices...

Let's look at this from a personal perspective.  If you were parting out a car and I was going to buy one of the parts from you, how much would it cost to have that part shipped to my residence?

Well I know I was going to have to ship said part if I had advertised it as such so the price I would have given you for the part would have included an extra $5 to cover my time to go to post office then I would charge you what it cost at the post office to ship it to you

:iagree: Honest business practices for the win
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

ECS

Well I know I was going to have to ship said part if I had advertised it as such so the price I would have given you for the part would have included an extra $5 to cover my time to go to post office then I would charge you what it cost at the post office to ship it to you

How would you know what to charge for the "part" if you didn't know what "part" was being ordering?  Would you charge the same shipping amount for a Voltage Regulator as you would a Wheel?  Would you charge the same shipping for a Headlight Bucket that you would an entire Front End Clip?  Would the effort & supplies to ship those different parts be the same costs?  How would you know what to charge if you didn't know where it was going to be shipped?  I can assure you that you'd become intelligent very quickly about shipping once you realized the "hidden costs" that many overlook in the equation.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

70 sublime

Quote from: ECS on September 18, 2015, 05:10:22 PM

How would you know what to charge for the "part" if you didn't know what "part" was being ordering?  Would you charge the same shipping amount for a Voltage Regulator as you would a Wheel?  Would you charge the same shipping for a Headlight Bucket that you would an entire Front End Clip?  Would the effort & supplies to ship those different parts be the same costs?  How would you know what to charge if you didn't know where it was going to be shipped?  I can assure you that you'd become intelligent very quickly about shipping once you realized the "hidden costs" that many overlook in the equation.

Guess you can not read

I said I would add $5 to my price (before you even knew what I was asking for said part) to cover my trouble to go find out the cost to ship from the post office THEN I would charge you what the post office said it would cost to mail it to you
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ws23rt

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 18, 2015, 06:58:00 PM
Quote from: ECS on September 18, 2015, 05:10:22 PM

Guess you can not read

I said I would add $5 to my price (before you even knew what I was asking for said part) to cover my trouble to go find out the cost to ship from the post office THEN I would charge you what the post office said it would cost to mail it to you

:2thumbs: What we should not lose from this discussion it is what we are talking about. - Listening to both sides of the marketing world.

We/I am a consumer. My preference is to deal with those that don't push me around for the last dollar.
The last dollar on a sale is only a deal on that sale. --I may learn a lesson and tell many about it.  That is part of sales and the marketing decisions that make it a risk for the those that chose to play us for all they can.

I find it a hard pill to swallow when I'm dealing with a company that dismisses the potential customer as a "mark" to be exploited.

ECS

Guess you can not read....

I guess you didn't understand the point.  Regardless of what the end shipper charges you, is your $5 blanket charge going to cover the time it takes to get an Engine prepared for shipping versus preparing to ship an Alternator?  Is your $5 going to cover the skid it will take to hold the Engine, the straps to secure it and the time it will take for you to perform those requirements?  The shipper will not provide those steps for you.  Are you simply going to eat those costs or are you happy with spending more than $50 in supplies while asking $5 in return for your time/expenses?

polywideblock

living in Australia can I just add  that you guys have NOTHING to complain about    :yesnod:    try being charged $500 to ship the $375 set of torsion bars or
$12  for a $ 5 laminated wiring schematic   :'(

and that's  without doing the math on a dollar that at the moment is worth 70cents US  :eek2:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ws23rt

Quote from: ECS on September 18, 2015, 11:13:38 PM

I guess you didn't understand the point.  Regardless of what the end shipper charges you, is your $5 blanket charge going to cover the time it takes to get an Engine prepared for shipping versus preparing to ship an Alternator?  Is your $5 going to cover the skid it will take to hold the Engine, the straps to secure it and the time it will take for you to perform those requirements?  The shipper will not provide those steps for you.  Are you simply going to eat those costs or are you happy with spending more than $50 in supplies while asking $5 in return for your time?
[/quote

How can we move forward with this discussion when it comes down to specific examples?

What is up with not talking about the issue at hand??

Is not the original question about leading a buyer??

70 sublime

Quote from: ECS on September 18, 2015, 11:13:38 PM

I guess you didn't understand the point.  Regardless of what the end shipper charges you, is your $5 blanket charge going to cover the time it takes to get an Engine prepared for shipping versus preparing to ship an Alternator?  Is your $5 going to cover the skid it will take to hold the Engine, the straps to secure it and the time it will take for you to perform those requirements?  The shipper will not provide those steps for you.  Are you simply going to eat those costs or are you happy with spending more than $50 in supplies while asking $5 in return for your time?

My point is I will tell you how much I will sell the said part to you for with taking into account what I have to do to make it ready to ship which I said was $5 for say a gas cap plus what the post office wanted to charge to mail it out

If you want my 426 hemi block I will add $500 to the price before I tell you how much I want because I know I will have to get it in a crate first before I add what the trucking company would want to haul it the rest of the way

The whole point of this is any person or company that is in the business of selling stuff on line for a profit for the world to see should have an idea of how much it is worth to them in time and supplies to ready their item to be handed over to the third party for delivery and only add the cost of the third party to the price of what they are selling period

ECS

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 18, 2015, 11:50:55 PM

.....was $5 for say a gas cap.......If you want my 426 hemi block I will add $500 to the price before I tell you how much I want......

Nowhere in your original statement did you convey a difference in shipping costs between various components.  Also keep in mind that someone will complain about the additional $500 you "masked" for shipping by saying that your asking amount is too high as compared to the average market prices.  It's nice to see however that as you think through the various scenarios, you are able to understand that a Vendor cannot always just blindly give a Customer a static cost for everything they sell.  You also cannot just assume a Vendors shipping costs based on the limited knowledge you have about their operations.

ws23rt

Quote from: ECS on September 19, 2015, 12:06:24 AM

.....was $5 for say a gas cap.......If you want my 426 hemi block I will add $500 to the price before I tell you how much I want......

No where in your original statement did you convey a difference in shipping costs between various components.  Also keep in mind that someone will complain about the additional $500 you "masked" for shipping by saying that your asking amount is too high as compared to the average market prices.  It's nice to see however that as you think through the various scenarios, you are able to understand that a Vendor cannot always just blindly give a Customer a static cost for everything they sell.  You also cannot just assume a Vendors shipping costs based on the limited knowledge you have about their operations.

This is an example of how some venders view the public they vend to. They are the providers and we are the accepters of their offerings.

We chose who we deal with for various reasons.

ECS

Quote from: ws23rt on September 19, 2015, 12:17:27 AM
This is an example of how some venders view the public they vend to.

Did we just change topics?  The last time I checked, I had nothing to do with the type of "over charging" that some Vendors have been allegedly accused of doing.  However, if you want to insult me with condescending comments like saying that I "can not read", then I will gladly put you in your rude & ignorant place. 

70 sublime

Quote from: ECS on September 19, 2015, 12:06:24 AM

Nowhere in your original statement did you convey a difference in shipping costs between various components.  Also keep in mind that someone will complain about the additional $500 you "masked" for shipping by saying that your asking amount is too high as compared to the average market prices.  It's nice to see however that as you think through the various scenarios, you are able to understand that a Vendor cannot always just blindly give a Customer a static cost for everything they sell.  You also cannot just assume a Vendors shipping costs based on the limited knowledge you have about their operations.

I give up
Some idiots are harder to convince than others

If anybody ever wants to buy stuff from me I will give them a price that I am happy with and the only extra charge will cover what the mailman wants  :icon_smile_tongue:

ECS

el dub

Here is the essence of mr wings comment, "price was $$$ plus $18 for shipping of single part. I thought it was kinda high, but figured it must come well packed and insured from damage for that amount....so I paid the price."  The condensed version, "price was $$$ plus $18 for shipping, so I paid the price."
       Next, he posted here about the company, charger specialities, charging so much extra for shipping. His rant. Which is valid. They did charger to much for shipping.
Next, some people started defending shipping and handling charges. But mr 383 wing already accepted the charges and was just stating they are too high, and he wont do business with them anymore. Which I wouldn't either. Or you shouldn't either if your smart. So why defend the shipping and handling parts of business? Its already built into the business model> You either buy or not. If shipping bothers you, don't buy.
     The point being, don't buy from charger specialties unless your do your research. And if they read here or other mopar forums, they may just lower their prices. But I doubt it as I think they're a small company like a lot of other small companies. Just trying to make a dime, or 18 dollars.

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ws23rt

I just recently sold an item on ebay for $800.  I answered the buyers contact with me about local pickup and payment and then I went to the invoice page and filled it out just for the record.

I got a copy of that invoice in my email that showed a "shipping and handling" fee of $800 for a total of $1600. :eek2:

I sent a message to the buyer about the mistake and am sure all will be fine but I was reminded of this thread and wondered how I would feel if I got an invoice like that had I been in his place.  :scratchchin:

So I'm "that guy" in this case (and responsible for the surprise hit) at the end of this deal (at least from his point of view until communication delays catch up to us).

I would like to add that because of this I'm left to wonder how many odd or seemingly out of place charges are just plane errors made. Either in someone's judgment or sloppy (as in my case) handling of the transaction.  

So a complaint comes in from a seeming out of place charge. Is the human reaction to be ---I didn't do it?? :slap:---And hope they pay and we all move on? :scratchchin:

I think it's more then appropriate to complain. It's an obligation we have that is a benefit for everyone. (buyers and sellers). It's a way to clean up misunderstandings from both sides.---As long as sheep pay the wolf will vend to them.--

1974dodgecharger

seems we are all passionate about shipping rates here 3 pages... :icon_smile_big:

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem