News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How high is the front end of your 68-70? New picture 9-3

Started by greenpigs, August 31, 2015, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

I was looking at mine and it sits way up in the air like it is in 4x4 mode. From the floor to the top edge of the fender lip both sides measure 27 1/4 inches. I am going to lower it till it has a very mild rake and when I find the sweat spot get the front end aligned. Also I will have the front on jack stands so no weight is on the front wheels when I do my adjusting.

Just curious what others measure IF anyone has even checked their ride.

The adjusting nut is WAY up in there so I don't think anything is worn out, just over adjusted.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

myk

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to make adjustments to the car while it's resting on its wheels in full weight...

cdr

it is better to lift the car & then turn the adjusters,roll the car to settle the car & then measure. if not it is very hard on the adjuster bolt threads. mine is 25"
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Measure the height of the inner vs outer ends of the LCA.  That reveals exactly how your suspension is adjusted.  No wheel & tire & bodywork factors playing into it.

ws23rt

Quote from: myk on August 31, 2015, 09:00:42 PM
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to make adjustments to the car while it's resting on its wheels in full weight...

Agree---This is the way I've always adjusted mine.  Also bouncing the front end some between adjustments will help allow the bushings to settle in the new position.
Also the best place to measure is under the K frame at the lower control arm pivot points for example.  (the fenders could be???)

ws23rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 31, 2015, 09:44:12 PM

Measure the height of the inner vs outer ends of the LCA.  That reveals exactly how your suspension is adjusted.  No wheel & tire & bodywork factors playing into it.

:2thumbs:  And assumes a level floor to work from.

greenpigs

Quote from: cdr on August 31, 2015, 09:20:44 PM
it is better to lift the car & then turn the adjusters,roll the car to settle the car & then measure. if not it is very hard on the adjuster bolt threads. mine is 25"

Thanks

I have heard of adjusting bolts snapping from the stress of the cars weight so I will lift the front end as planned.

My way of measuring may not be exact but it should be a good enough guideline and I can check the LCA also to make sure.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dual fours

FRONT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT :Twocents:
First, see that the vehicle has a full tank of fuel and recommended tire pressures and is standing on a flat surface. Clean grease and dirt from steering arm knuckles and from torsion bar front mounting anchors. By hand, grasp the bumpers at the center (rear bumper first) jounce the vehicle several times, releasing it on downward motion.
1. Measure distance from the ball joint to the floor (measurement "B"), and from the control arm torsion bar spring anchor housing to the floor (measurement "A").
2. Subtract "B" from "A". The distance should be 1-7/8" (plus or minus 1/8").
3. Measure the other side in the same manner.
4. Adjust by turning the torsion bar anchor adjusting bolt clockwise to increase the height and counter clock wise to decrease the height. The difference from side-to-side should not exceed 1/8".  
5. After adjusting, jounce the car and recheck the measurements on both sides, even if only one side may have been adjusted.

You say that you will lower your cars front, in that form (decreasing height) you will not be lifting the weight of the car by the bolt.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

greenpigs

QuoteYou say that you will lower your cars front, in that form (decreasing height) you will not be lifting the weight of the car by the bolt.

That is correct.

But if you were raising the car you would be, and best to play it on the safe side.

Thanks for the picture.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dual fours

Quote from: greenpigs on September 01, 2015, 12:49:37 AM
Here it is

Looks nice, and looks tall. Just an after thought, when lowering front end be sure to turn front wheels all the way to the right and all the way to the left to make sure tires do not hit the body. Safe is the way to go.

photo credit "greenpigs"
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

303 Mopar

:popcrn:  I like the front lowered as well.  Can't wait to see a pic when done! 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Ghoste

It does have a 4X4 look to it as is doesn't it?

HPP

Your tires look like you have a pretty high aspect ratio, like perhaps a 70 series. You will need to be careful with lowering it so you do not create an interference inside the fender. As you drop the ride height, I'd recommend doing a full sweep with the steering to see if you are getting close to anything. Don't forget to allow for some suspension compression during this review as well. This could be the reason it was set so high to begin with.

If you drop it 2" or more at the fender lip, you will need a new alignment also. Alignment specs will also impact clearances as well, but to a lesser degree than lowering will. If you do go this route, get some modern specs under it; as much positive caster as possible, 0 to -.5 degree camber, and 1/16 total toe in. These will transform its road manners over the original specs.

68pplcharger

Mine sits about 24" don't know if I would go any lower than that. Can't get a floor jack under if it goes any lower

472 R/T SE

My blue Charger had that front end high in the air look.  I finally tried lowering it some ( 1st pic ) but didn't get much ( 2nd ) & sold it shortly thereafter.

My purple car sits at 24" & is perfect for me.  Both ends are up in the fender wells.  That's probably why I have such problems getting in & out of our driveway & didn't have the issues with my other cars.  I love the look but it's a pain in the butt for me.   :scratchchin:

myk

Yeah but your car looks perfect like that so it's totally worth it...

tan top

heres mine ,  not the  factory way  :P ,  was just curious as to what everyone elses was ,  but  not many wanted to play  :lol: :bawling: ;) :P :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85774.0.html
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

greenpigs

Quote from: HPP on September 01, 2015, 10:36:02 AM
Your tires look like you have a pretty high aspect ratio, like perhaps a 70 series. You will need to be careful with lowering it so you do not create an interference inside the fender. As you drop the ride height, I'd recommend doing a full sweep with the steering to see if you are getting close to anything. Don't forget to allow for some suspension compression during this review as well. This could be the reason it was set so high to begin with.

If you drop it 2" or more at the fender lip, you will need a new alignment also. Alignment specs will also impact clearances as well, but to a lesser degree than lowering will. If you do go this route, get some modern specs under it; as much positive caster as possible, 0 to -.5 degree camber, and 1/16 total toe in. These will transform its road manners over the original specs.

It has 215 70 15 on it and I went about a half inch lower the way I measure. I don't expect or want it to sit very low in the front and need to measure my LCR as dual fours and others mentioned.

Quote from: tan top on September 01, 2015, 05:27:19 PM
heres mine ,  not the  factory way  :P ,  was just curious as to what everyone elses was ,  but  not many wanted to play  :lol: :bawling: ;) :P :cheers:

I didn't see any other post when I searched but at least it was a couple years old, I will measure mine like you did and add to your post.

472 RT/SE it does look about the same in the front.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

cdr

i bumped your thread TanTOP the way you measured , mine is 21.5  15 in wheel

thread    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85774.0.html
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

I don't think my front end was that high after I pulled the engine out.   ;)

I never measured mine but it's in line with 472's purple machine.  The adjuster bolts were about halfway out I think, but I'm not positive. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

greenpigs

I was going for the straight axle altered look, that is my story and I'm sticking to it. :D
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

472 R/T SE

Quote from: greenpigs on September 02, 2015, 12:21:48 AM
I was going for the straight axle altered look, that is my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I'd heard that one before.  Mostly 4x4 comments.  The front needed to come down a little bit more with my blue car.

HeavyFuel

68pplcharger

Quote from: tan top on September 01, 2015, 05:27:19 PM
heres mine ,  not the  factory way  :P ,  was just curious as to what everyone elses was ,  but  not many wanted to play  :lol: :bawling: ;) :P :cheers:

Lol with that approach my measurement is about 20"