News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo gear help

Started by keith88, August 30, 2015, 09:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

Quote from: ws23rt on September 05, 2015, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: keith88 on September 05, 2015, 08:06:20 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on September 05, 2015, 07:55:36 PM
Quote from: keith88 on September 05, 2015, 07:24:19 PM
Thanks but still not sure what one has to do with the other as far as how it reads the speed. I started out being 19 mph off got that down to between 5- 10 mph off  going from a 33 to a 27 tooth so i was just figuring on a 25 tooth should put me  with in  range of the cop not giving me a ticket issue. But if you find info on the odometer thing by all means i still would like to see it ..thanks.

One thing I learned many years ago is that knowing the speed one is traveling is the responsibility of the driver.  I have tried all of the issues that I thought would explain my speed when in front of a judge.---I do mean all of them-- :lol:

The overwhelming question from the judges is how long have you been driving?---Their is no answer to this question that will get you out of the conviction (that I have experienced). --If you have a license you should know how fast you are driving. :nana:

Getting a 45 year old car to be accurate in how any of the gauges perform is a task that is as big as how accurate is good enough?

If you have the right speedo gear for your rear gear and tires and the mph on the dash is not right (+-5mph) it has to be a problem with the mag. pic up in the speedometer.

I would say understand what you see on the dash and if it is +- 5 mph be happy. :Twocents:

well my issue will be that for 30 years i was used to driving a 69 camaro not a 69 charger that is a lot bigger and dose not seem that it is going as fast as it is because of its size . I had no idea that my speed was off until i got pulled over. i was never going that much faster then traffic around me to think it was more than a little and not a lot like it was.

I do get what you are saying. :2thumbs:  Some cars feel like they are going 60 when they are only doing 40. :shruggy: Also some cars look like they are going fast to a cop just cause it's a fast looking car. :slap:  I have a new car that feels like 80mph at 120mph.  :icon_smile_wink: The judge will not feel or accept your problem.
Yea i hear ya im prepared for that.. we can do it the easy way or the hard way ball in there court, ill find out Thursday
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

ws23rt

Quote from: keith88 on September 05, 2015, 08:29:58 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on September 05, 2015, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: keith88 on September 05, 2015, 08:06:20 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on September 05, 2015, 07:55:36 PM
Quote from: keith88 on September 05, 2015, 07:24:19 PM
Thanks but still not sure what one has to do with the other as far as how it reads the speed. I started out being 19 mph off got that down to between 5- 10 mph off  going from a 33 to a 27 tooth so i was just figuring on a 25 tooth should put me  with in  range of the cop not giving me a ticket issue. But if you find info on the odometer thing by all means i still would like to see it ..thanks.

One thing I learned many years ago is that knowing the speed one is traveling is the responsibility of the driver.  I have tried all of the issues that I thought would explain my speed when in front of a judge.---I do mean all of them-- :lol:

The overwhelming question from the judges is how long have you been driving?---Their is no answer to this question that will get you out of the conviction (that I have experienced). --If you have a license you should know how fast you are driving. :nana:

Getting a 45 year old car to be accurate in how any of the gauges perform is a task that is as big as how accurate is good enough?

If you have the right speedo gear for your rear gear and tires and the mph on the dash is not right (+-5mph) it has to be a problem with the mag. pic up in the speedometer.

I would say understand what you see on the dash and if it is +- 5 mph be happy. :Twocents:

well my issue will be that for 30 years i was used to driving a 69 camaro not a 69 charger that is a lot bigger and dose not seem that it is going as fast as it is because of its size . I had no idea that my speed was off until i got pulled over. i was never going that much faster then traffic around me to think it was more than a little and not a lot like it was.

I do get what you are saying. :2thumbs:  Some cars feel like they are going 60 when they are only doing 40. :shruggy: Also some cars look like they are going fast to a cop just cause it's a fast looking car. :slap:  I have a new car that feels like 80mph at 120mph.  :icon_smile_wink: The judge will not feel or accept your problem.
Yea i hear ya im prepared for that.. we can do it the easy way or the hard way ball in there court, ill find out Thursday

I hope you come back with how you did in court.  I've been in traffic court many times (with 80+ tickets) and plenty of seat time to hear all of the reasons for letting us go.---some are rather creative and entertaining but the bottom line is the offence. Good luck making your case. :cheers:

keith88

OK the odometer is right but the speedometer is off.. Its up to 5 off to 45mph than 10 there after. Now what?  can it be fixed and if it can what do i need to do. :brickwall: :shruggy:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

XH29N0G

It can be fixed.  I think there are several places people like (like redline gauges appears to be one - I have not used them).  I would put out a request if that is the route you want to go.  I think this might be the cheapest route.  You can also buy a reproduction one (I did) in part because I wanted to keep driving my car until replacing it.   By the way, mine is off by 4 mph at 65 and I just compensate.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

keith88

Dose anyone know of any info on how they work and what parts are the ones that generally cause the issues pictures would be nice to?

John_Kunkel

The speedometer is basically a rotating steel drum with a needle attached to it, a spinning magnet inside the drum drives the needle up against a calibrated hold-back spring. If the speedo reads high, the spring has weakened with age it can't hold the drum back, so the needle reads high.  OTOH, if the speedo reads low, the magnet has weakened and/or there is excess friction in the pivot bearings.

Any competent speedo shop (look in your local yellow pages) can repair and recalibrate the speedo head.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

keith88

Well just got out of Court and Roscoe lost again thought he had them duke boys but once again he was wrong. The prosecutor dropped the charges. She didn't even want to see my evidence but i showed it to her any way...... And to that Ledyard cop that stopped me a couple weeks back ........HAVE A NICE DAY sound familiar! A--HOLE. :hah: :rofl:

As far the the speedo tho odometer is right but the speed is off 5 up to 50 and 10 after up to 110 ( not going any faster) Im going to live with it. at least its a lot closer!! :2thumbs: :cheers:

VegasCharger

Was it confirmed that the cop who pulled you over that you were going 64 mph? Did he display his radar reading to you? You said that you didn't think you were going that fast so in actuality was your Charger going 64 mph or do you think that the cop was misleading?

keith88

He never showed me the radar only told me it was. And yes it looks like it was doing that speed ,i down loaded an app on my phone that uses the GPS for  a speed reading and that said i was doing 64 in a 45 as well,that is why i changed the speedo gear.