News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A bunch of paint questions

Started by Dino, August 15, 2015, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I'm half way though stripping the engine and engine bay so time to start ordering paints.

I want to paint the engine bay either in a wet/wet system or shoot a primer that's easy to scuff.  These engine bays are not exactly fun to sand.  So what's a good primer?  I have a paint gun and compressor so no need for spray cans unless there's a really good one.

What paints do you guys use for all the other underhood stuff?

I'm thinking of ordering everything from Eastwood unless there's something better out there.  I want this stuff to last as long as possible.

I will need paint for pretty much everything you can see when you open the hood: the k member, the engine, pulleys and brackets, steering column, steering chuck, 2 speed wiper motor, a/c fan, a/c drier bracket, battery tray, starter shield, lower splash shields that bolt to the valance, torsion bars, steering linkage, horns, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Since it doesn't have to be exactly as stock I'm thinking extreme satin chassis black for the k member and suspension/steering stuff, underhood black for the brackets and pulleys, cast iron gray for steering chuck and column.  Not sure what the fan and wiper motor used to be.

Oh, what about the grille frame and the front of the frame that you see through the grille?  I'd like a flatter or dull satin finish for that but it has to be pretty durable.

Are the bolts that hold things like horns and radiator and such painted black or body color?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Canadian1968

You can check out my thread " front frame rail and engine bay make over" . The best way I think to do the engine bay is strip down to the metal. Then shoot it with epoxy , there is no need to even scuff the epoxy you actually wait 24hrs before top coating most epoxy. For the engine bay I just used a single stage , again the easiest quickest way to get the job done .

As for colors look up the many reference threads on the site . The spi epoxy that I use has a very nice black satin finish which I used for all of black pieces / areas .

Dino

Your engine bay looks great!  Very nice work.   :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

I used Majic Tractor Paint on my grill frame....got it from Runnings.

Takes a long time to dry...like days....but super tough and nice finish, very good self leveling.

(pic is of red paint.....obvy I used gloss black.   :lol: )

cdr

this is what i used, it works great, it is all you need, spray it on & there is NO re coat time, read about it on their page.

http://www.clausenautobody.com/proddetail.php?prod=rust-defender
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

this is my doors done with it.  spray Clausens let it dry, then color.  Oreilly autoparts sells it for about 150.00 a gallon

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

That looks like the stuff I used a few decades ago.  Real strong and high solid dtm primer.

Those tractor guys have good stuff, I should check out Tractor Supply.   :yesnod: