News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

402 oil pan question

Started by troy.70R/T, August 20, 2015, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have a 65 383 that does not have a number stamped on it that I can find. I held my 402 oil pan up to it and it looks very similar. I cant remember for sure but I think the guy I got it from had it in a 69 Satelite. would there be any reason why it would not fit in my 68 charger???  It does look like it might be one inch deeper.

cdr

the 402 is what fits a 68 charger.  others will fit & some not. one of the main problem areas is where the steering centerlink goes under the pan, some pans are deeper at this area & it hits the centerlink, if it was in a 69 sat, it will fit yours
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

troy.70R/T

thanks cdr. I will know more tomorrow when I get the pan off and can set them side by side.

John_Kunkel

The '62-'65 B-body engines sat further forward than the '66 and later so the sump on the early motors sits further back and will hit the steering link in a later body...not sure about the C-bodies. If it was in a later car the pan had to have been changed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

troy.70R/T

I see the non 402 pan is dented in. maybe they did that to clear the steering link. I just got it off today but have not compared them yet. If the pickup tube works with the 402 pan I will go with the 402 either way.

John_Kunkel

Steering link clearance dent is C-body, I know they work in an early B-body but doubtful in a later B.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cdr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 22, 2015, 11:38:09 AM
Steering link clearance dent is C-body, I know they work in an early B-body but doubtful in a later B.

and bb a body
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

I have a C body 71 in my 69, it has the 187 pan with clearance dent.  That one works fine but I forget how much oil it holds.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

troy.70R/T