News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

security

Started by tiki, August 27, 2015, 06:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

Looking at this 67 charger that was stolen makes everyone think? Whats the best security you can put on your car?(pride and joy)  GPS recovery (hidden) Mercury switch texting you if the car move,what is everyone using?

skip68

Garage and surveillance cameras.  2 inside the garage and 12 outside. 
Along with hidden ignition switch. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

303 Mopar

The bottom line is if someone wants your car bad enough, they will find a way to get it.  If they are pros they will have dolly's to put under your wheels to roll your car out to a flat bed waiting, know where the typical security devices are and how to deactivate them, and have your car sold on a ship or stripped in a few days.  That said, you can add things like GPS, alarm, steering wheel bar lock, and a kill switch to deter them so you are not an "easy" target they move on to the next car.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Homerr

Lojack + plenty of insurance.

myk

I've heard stories of cars being plucked out from inside of their garages.  If theft can go that deep then there's no sure-fire way to stop it.  Combining passive anti theft devices along with LoJack AND GPS are good steps to take.  Lastly, make sure the car is insured for the MAXIMUM amount of money.

What GPS systems are people using?

cbrestorations

i have a buddy that when he leaves town he chains the car to a metal pole that was cemented into the garage floor. im talkin like almost 3/4" metal on the link. they would have to diegrinder cut thru this sucker if they really waanted the car. the easiest way cars get stolen is a crooked tow truck operation, no one would be the wiser in broad daylight.

skip68

A long time ago I thought about anchoring the car down.   The agreed value of the car through Hagerty was enough for me in the end so I didn't want to bother with the hassle.   Like others have said, if someone wants it bad enough they'll find a way to get it.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

myk

I use something like that for my expensive road bicycles.  It's called the New York Fuhgeddaboudit by Kryptonite locks...

charger_fan_4ever

A large unfriendly dog stationed in roaming distance.

1974dodgecharger

Big rims....when are people gonna realize this? These cars stolen all have one thing in comen they are stock cars looking wise. 

Start adding your own tastes to a car and it becomes less desirable.

Ghoste

Unfortunately my taste finds big rims to be big ugly.  I like the stock look and if I have to alter it to keep thieves away, I don't want it so much then anyway.

wingcar

I agree.....Plus, it would be just my luck to have a thief that has the same tastes (good or bad  :-\) that I have!  And, no matter what you do to the car, there will always be something a thief will feel he can sell......Not to mention the "Joy Riders" that will steal a car just for the kicks of driving it around for a while... 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Actually I would think trendy wheels would be a drawing card for thieves?

cbrestorations

a $10 alarm system works good to detour thieves. a bypass switch accessible from outside the car tied into the horns with the dome light switch power used to run it. if the switch is activated and someone opens the door the horns will be a blairin.  gps on a seperate lawnmower battery hid somehwere but still tied into the cars battery power to maintain charge is probably one of the better ways to hope of getting ur car back

myk

I'd recommend GPS and LoJack.  It's expensive and could run you $30 a month for GPS, but it's worth it...

WHITE AND RED 69

Here is a new GPS unit over on the pro touring site.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/116434-Impressive-new-product

Lojack now offers an upgrade that lets you track your car on your phone. You can program it so if it leaves your garage your phone will notify you.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Plum Crazy 68

Scoped Springfield .308 M1A1

6pkrtse

I have a hidden kill switch on my 70 Charger. Another trick I learned is after I put it in park if I pull down on the shifter alittle not to pull it out of park but just enough. It won't allow it to start because of neutral safety switch. It thinks it is not in park but it doesn't release and put it in reverse so it won't roll away either.I also disconnect  the battery when at work or anything for long periods of time and throw little padlocks in the hood pins so the hood can't be opened to re-connect battery.

At home with my 70 Charger also shares the garage with my 70 Challenger so I have alarm system on house. Block the rear man door with a 4x4 between door and fridge and put padlocks in my bay door tracks to keep big door from opening. I also have the opener plugged in the ceiling on its own switch so power to it is off once I walk out so the pros with their door opener scanners can't scan the code and open it from the outside. All takes me seconds to do but is going to make a thief at least work for it.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

cbrestorations

those gps trackers only have a 4hr back up battery, if you hide sepperate small 12v battery for the gps alone you could track it for days if not longer. say ur at work and the car gets stolen and you dont have access to ur phone during that time, they have already stole it and disconnected the battery. by the time you get to ur phone and it notifies you of the alert, the gps may already be dead. just a scenario...

c00nhunterjoe

I put a confederate flag on my roof.... nobody wants a racist car... :smilielol:

RallyeMike

Got it. Now I just need your addresses, please   :scope:   :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 28, 2015, 10:22:56 AM
Actually I would think trendy wheels would be a drawing card for thieves?

There not.  My car has been left out in many bad neighborhoods out in the open hell even when I hit Vegas.  No one steals my car.....not even touch it.  I leave my windows down also since it gets so hot here in southwest.

It's the stock cars that get stolen....they know that aftermarket crap decreases a stolen resell value.

Kern Dog

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 28, 2015, 01:58:54 AM
Big rims....when are people gonna realize this? These cars stolen all have one thing in comen they are stock cars looking wise. 

Start adding your own tastes to a car and it becomes less desirable.

Funny.... :2thumbs:

tiki

Thanks white and red 69,a lot of valuable information,most people building a dream car has it insured while building it,I like some of the security details posted,mostly insurance,gps and siren and hood pins to secure your engine compartment

Mike DC

Quotea $10 alarm system works good to detour thieves. a bypass switch accessible from outside the car tied into the horns with the dome light switch power used to run it. if the switch is activated and someone opens the door the horns will be a blairin.  gps on a seperate lawnmower battery hid somehwere but still tied into the cars battery power to maintain charge is probably one of the better ways to hope of getting ur car back

The alarm can wail but it doesn't mean any bystanders will react to it or even turn their heads.  If you don't hear it yourself, and get out there fast enough to stop the thief yourself, then there's little chance of an alarm doing any good.  If you get there 10 minutes later the bystanders probably won't even remember what the guy looked like.

ACUDANUT

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 28, 2015, 01:29:56 PM

Lojack now offers an upgrade that lets you track your car on your phone. You can program it so if it leaves your garage your phone will notify you.

That's good stuff!  I was going to build my own unit but this is one hell of a service!  I think I might just get this once funds are replenished and the car's back on the road.

I also have an alarm system with a tilt sensor so it makes a lot of noise when it's being towed.  Of course this is only helpful when I'm around as nobody even takes their eyes off their phone anymore when an alarm goes off.  The nice thing about the alarm is that the keyfob goes berserk when the alarm goes off and the screen shows what's going on.  If I'm in a store then I may have enough time to run to the car...and hope the thieves are unarmed.

Lojack is great but check with your local police to make sure they have the tracking means.   Not all of them do so I hear.

Lastly you could install self-destruct like the Batmobile, if I can't have it, neither can they!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Lojack now offers an upgrade that lets you track your car on your phone. You can program it so if it leaves your garage your phone will noteify you.

Thanks for posting that link.  I'm currently auditioning GPS systems and that item you mentioned deserves consideration.  I've been looking at the Spytec GL 300 also...

Brock Lee

Insured for an agreed value. If someone stole it, I can replace it with 2.

ottawamerc

I have cameras setup around the shop and inside it, the way I figure it is if someone wants in all the security in the world isn't going to stop them, locks are for honest people IMHO. My brothers are cops and they told me the cameras are great as they capture the time and date of the occurrence plus (hopefully) a nice mug shot. I use the UV Trail cams hidden around, no flashes when they go off and they are designed to be camouflaged. I know they don't give the same satisfaction as my 300 WSM would but it does help me sleep at night.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

chargerbr549

I think this could be another great option for a car alarm, :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10PDouh09LE

ht4spd307

these work good

472 R/T SE

There's several GPS tags/blocks on ebay.

We have LoJak in my car & the SRT10.  One time payment.  Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you'll get a discount on your insurance if you have an alarm, LoJak.  My insurance agent is my ex girlfriend & she laughed when I asked her about it.   ;)

don duick

for home security, I heard of someone who puts his car on a hoist then disconnects the power.

4aThrill

Well its really all about you and where you go,(car shows,stores,drive ins,cruises, etc) its what you put out about it, watch yourself, watch what you say, watch when u leave, somewhere you might be followed. Do a couple extra turns before heading home. how are you gonna protect your pride and joy from someone else's hands if they want it bad enough they will do anything, anything to get it or try too.

A nice big dog
Security system(motion sensors) inside the garage 2-5 mins tops smokey shows up.
Cameras placed inside and outside(good idea to disconnect red light from camera so it looks like its off)
A nice security lock on garage door(its a pain for us, but its one more thing for them).

When not in use remove the battery at the house, but on trickle charger.
Install hidden kill switchs not so obvious ones(make them count, use them all the time)
While it's in the garage depends how often u drive her, put her on jacks(hide the floor Jack handle but close enough you can get to it).
Add in a little red blinking light somewhere running off a 9volt battery make it stock looking.

Now days mini cameras are so small, (just need a pin hole)place one inside somewhere (watch where u put it don't wanna give anyone ideas where them kill switches are if its a wireless camera, can ran off the main battery then have a spare hidden under the back seat or trunk plenty of room).
Lojac
Think out side the box on the kill switchs what would stump you or has stumped you in the past to start that beast, something so simple and to hard.(make the wires same colors as stock hard to trace).
Steering wheel lock or take the steering wheel with you.
Visitors/guests (have a log book)
There's alot more we can do to protect our rides, we all need to be aware look out for each over, do/go the extra mile, someone will see something, look at traffic cameras, neighborhood watch join them, protect your pride and joy. 

It happens we all read about it somewhere just plan, think out of the box and give no one the opportunity.

tiki

a lot of great ideas the orgasmic car alarm will make everyone look LMFAO

AKcharger

Both mine are insured for more than they're worth. If they got stolen I wouldn't be that broke up about it and go buy another one(s)

tiki

yes but how much is your insurance premium just for the 2 chargers?

ht4spd307

my house + shed & car alarms bellow out dixie :boogie: :patrol: now that makes everyone look.

1974dodgecharger

Leave windows down, please touch magnet, keep the car ugly as sin....

Works for me all the time......

A12 Superbee

Guys, just be careful exposing on here your own personal measures used to secure your car, whether its the physical barriers put in place at home or electronic in the car, the thieves will be on this forum too.

It doesn't take much to work out where you live, where your car will be on a certain day and how it is secured.

These pricks will use any and all means to steal your car.

Also, pay careful attention to who is following you as you get nearer to home. I've been followed once in my A12 and I picked him up early and led him on a merry route until he realised he was made.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

skip68

I've had signs that say "you're on camera"   I also make most of my cameras very noticeable.   Insurance is the best piece of mind.   

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

myk

Seriously, that was the worst idea for a thread I've ever seen on this board in the 10 years I've been here...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on November 13, 2015, 07:28:32 AM
Seriously, that was the worst idea for a thread I've ever seen on this board in the 10 years I've been here...
lmao..... :icon_smile_big:

Lord Warlock

I have a GPS installed on my daughter's car, problem is that the tracking service ends in January and cannot be renewed because they are moving from a 3G service to a 4G tracker.  Its been great, hooked to the battery of the car, I can tell if the battery goes dead, if it leaves a geographical fence area that I set up.  (it was a garmin GTU 10).  Now i'm forced to find something similar, I want to track that car until she pays It off. 

I don't track my own daily car,  figure if it gets stolen I can get another that is just as nice.  The charger however, has been so hard to get out of the backyard I didn't worry about it...fence gate wasn't large enough to fit car out until last week when I put a new gate up.  Now gate has several locks. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: A12 Superbee on November 12, 2015, 05:30:57 PM

Also, pay careful attention to who is following you as you get nearer to home. I've been followed once in my A12 and I picked him up early and led him on a merry route until he realised he was made.

This is what I do as well.  A couple jerk-offs followed me halfway across town to within a few blocks of the house, when I started the goose chase.

These two are small.....but loud as hell when something unusual happens in the middle of the night.   Then out comes the 9mm.

Lord Warlock

Back in the 80s, a friend pointed out that a cheap way to secure your old mopar was to simply remove one of the ballast resistor plugs, when the thief starts the car it runs for only a short distance and then dies, and only an old car mechanic would know what to look for to fix the connection.  I did verify that it worked on mine and used it when parking in undesireable areas. 

However, just got a firecore distributor and will be unhooking the ballast soon anyway, so can't use that anymore.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

myk

It's the tow trucks that I'm concerned about...

johnnycharger

I read on one of the threads that you could hook a toggle switch to negative off the coil. I haven't tried it yet though.

Bobs69

Very nice.  Something about being able to track it and show up with what the other member said about having a SCOPE....................

HeavyFuel

I had a dream (nightmare) last night that my charger was stolen.   When recovered it was beat to crap and half stripped.     :rotz:

Good to wake up from that one and realize it WAS a dream.   I better up the ante from just two little barky dogs and a handgun.   :yesnod:

Ghoste

More barky dogs?   ;)

myk

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 22, 2015, 02:24:42 PM
I had a dream (nightmare) last night that my charger was stolen.   When recovered it was beat to crap and half stripped.     :rotz:

Good to wake up from that one and realize it WAS a dream.   I better up the ante from just two little barky dogs and a handgun.   :yesnod:

I get that nightmare a lot....

redmist

Keeping my car in a constant state of modified progression (Read on jackstands and apart) is my best defense!!!   :rofl:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Dino

Hey you're not kidding!  With the engine apart and pushed into a corner while the car is on jack stands I can finally breathe easy!  This sucker's not going anywhere!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.