News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Transmission

Started by mopar0166, July 27, 2015, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

OK so after I spent the money last yr for a tci super street fight, which quickly imploded, I need advice from the friends here on what to do.   I'm currently using it for the rest of the summer cause, till it completely craps out.   Its not working as designed and I know the gloom and doom is on the way.

I did service it recently and adjusted the bands, it really didn't help.   although I did take it for a ride the other day  thought it could have been caused by the torque converter.  it seems to sparacticly work ok (meaning ok drivability).  

Car is a 1969 charger, date coded 440 built to about 550 hp, tci super street fighter 727 automatic

what are your suggestions?

what is the best 727 for handle a lot of power and being driven hard.  thanks in advance    :brickwall:

mopar0166

ive read and looked through many many posts, but I kinda just wanna clear things up and kinda start planning the path I need to go.

mopar0166

anyone have monster, make them a transmission?  they will do a custom order
and fully backed their product

mopar0166

does anyone know the warrenty on a cope racing transmission?   monster is a no questions asked 3 year full warrenty, it seems like they back up their work, where most others only have a 90 day one.  Ill never buy another TCI product, its crap and not ment for anything above stock. 

looking forward to those responses!    :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :yesnod: :shruggy:

justcruisin

If you intend on buying another trans, why don't you pull your one down and inspect it first. You have nothing to loose and there is plenty of help on here if needed. Get the FSM and Carl Munroes book. Post up the issues you are having and you will get a response as to the likely cause and what to look for.

myk

Agree with 'Just.  I would rather pull down what you have right now, get it fixed, and then get going again.  When it comes to something large like a drivetrain component I'd rather deal locally anyway...

Ghoste

A&A, Cope.  Those are a couple of good Torqueflite guys, there are others too.

mopar0166

Thanks for the input,

I guess for some back ground, I took my charger from NJ to MD for a show I noticed shifts to third, It squeaked and seemed to slip. I basically eased down on the abuse a bit and shifted without adding additional pressure. (the trans is apparently a manual valve body from tci even though it wasn't suppose to be)  I Haven't tried lots of different configurations but I could never get drive, so basically I have to drive it manually.  It has a 2400 b&m hole shot torque converter if memory serves me right.   AS for cooling its a stock setup through a 4 row rad. 

What I have done is did another service to the transmission ( has less then a thousand miles now)  I changed the filter fluids gasket etc.  (their was a bit of muck in the stock pan)  Also added a high capacity, alum pan while I was doing the work. 

Adjusted both bands using the directions in the FSM and test drove.   the 1-2 shift seemed fine but 2-3 not so great.  it seems to be still slipping, I then took it to my brothers house for dinner.  after about 3 hours I went to move it and it took a lot of throttle and pressure to get reverse to work and then drive.  after it running for maybe 5 minutes, it seemed to shift a lot better and I didn't notice as much slippage.  I was kinda thinking in the back of my head that something might be up with the torque converter.    Since I wanted to avoid chasing issues around and around I started to look at a new setup which sucks after the 2 k I spent last year to get this stupid tci setup. ( my own fault for not consulting here first). 

Any suggestions, ideas etc are always welcome.  transmissions are my strongest area but I do get the mechanics of it.  I just don't understand how a transmission rated for 700 hp would just blow up with a mid 500's motor. 

:shruggy:

John_Kunkel

Problems with the 2-3 shift and Reverse are related in the front clutch...the muck in the pan is likely the clutch lining. Time to remove/replace; Cope would be my choice.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

justcruisin

The front clutch pack is used for high gear and reverse. If as you say you beat on it hard - is it possible you have been working it hard in top gear at a low speed with the manual valve body when it should have been down shifted, that puts a lot of load on the high gear clutches, the less clutch plates in the front drum the more load each plate takes. For a 700hp performance build I would think it should have 5 or more. Might be an issue from assembly, but regardless sounds like it needs to come apart.

I recently bought parts from John Cope - good guy to deal with, worth a phone call at least.

mopar0166

everyone seems to be very happy with a cope transmission, any idea on any warranty ?

mopar0166

based on my research, think im goona go with a monster and not a cope.  A monster is fully backed for at least 3 years no questions asked, a cope isn't.  that is big to me  because TCI just ripped me off. 

im having it built above an beyond their hd 727 and they will fully back up the transmission to an 800 hp setup

Ill keep ya posted it takes about 4 weeks for them the build and test the transmission.