News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stalls with distributor vaccum attached

Started by LaOtto70Charger, August 23, 2015, 04:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaOtto70Charger

Been trying to my 318 with a edelbrock  4 barrel tuned better and keep running into issues.  The latest was after setting the points.  I set the points to .020 and tightened the screw down.  Than a .016" would fit nicely at high spot.  Car started ok.  The dwell was 32 with no drop from 1500 back to idle.  So I set the timing to 5 bdtc.  Than I tried checking vacuum advance and every time I would hit 15 on mighty vac gauge the car would die.  All checks were done with vacuum hose to carb off.  Since it was dieing that way I tired putting the distributor vaccum back to the carb.  On both ports car would star dieing.  Even with extra throttle it would keep missing.  I plugged both sides and distributor and went for a drive.  Acceleration was horrid and barely got to 60.  Came back and tried reinstalling vac hose between the carb and distributor and it would not start.  Even after closing points down some and multiple different timing locations.

myk

I'm going to guess that your initial is too advanced.  My car won't even run on anything less than 10* BTDC.  Try setting your initial to at least 12* and go from there...

69wannabe

You may have a bad set of point's. Unless you ask for the "good points and condenser" you will only get the cheaper one's that do not last very long at all. I never use the vacuum advance on the distributor whether it's a point's or electronic. Usually the vacuum advance pulls the plate the point's are on at an angle and it causes it to pull the point's to far and it run's bad because of this. Been a long time since I have seen a set of point's, may be time for a firecore set up!!!

LaOtto70Charger

Back to 10 I go!  That and new plugs. Probably points also.  Next year electric ignition.  Right now I just want to drive :)

69wannabe

Use NGK spark plugs and get a set of blue streak point's and condenser if you can. They are pretty good quality for these day's considering point's are out dated since electronic ignition is easy to attain now. Timing should be set around 12 BTDC and leave the advance plugged off and see how it runs from there.