News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi extinction 2019 ?

Started by StoneCold, August 19, 2015, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneCold

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1099646_breaking-srt-hellcats-and-hemis-set-to-die-in-2019

If that's the case please kill the Challenger and Charger with it and don't resurrect a "Cuda" with a twin turbocharged V6 or whatever. Want a clean slate with engines, then do a clean slate with model names. I'm sure some would have said that with the current Challengers :)

Kern Dog

There was a lot of talk about the death of the V8 in the early 80s too...
Its all bullshit.

ws23rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 19, 2015, 07:06:35 PM
Its all bullshit.

I agree.---The current public desire for big V8s is naturally offensive to those that are haters of them.  Also a news report like this is bound to tickle many and is why it is in front of us.---It is news regardless the truth of it.

The folks that buy and drive cars dictate what the sellers make. The news has become something to laugh at as real information is at hand in an instant.

It must be a hard world today for someone breaking current news. :lol:

JB400

As I said before, probably just a lame reporter looking for a quick story.  If anything, if there's any truth to it, it's probably a reconfiguration of the Hemi.  Maybe one with direct injection.

greenpigs

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 19, 2015, 07:06:35 PM
Its all bullshit.

The V8's in the future will be turbocharged and small displacement is my guess.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Kern Dog

Your avatar is sexy.
Carry on.

teddy1500

The Big 3 have been trying to get away from V8's for years. Chrysler studied turbines, GM spent a ton of money on wankels. Ford got real serious about turbocharging. But the expected gas crisis in the 1980's didn't come. Gas stayed relatively cheap, we went from station wagon to minivan to big SUV, The big v8;s where almost gone, and the "small" 302 to 360 size became common place.
During the 70's and 80' the Europeans invested in smaller motors, but made some very respectable performance cars, the majority did not have V8's they engineered a very fun product, with small engines, we never had to learn how to do that, All we needed to do was design a car, to get X MPG at 55 MPH. and that became the formula.

Mike DC

The buyers will dictate what they make, but only within the Federal regulations that those same buyers wanted.  

My impression is that the average American is in favor of higher MPG standards on cars.  They mistakenly think this will save them money instead of costing more, but by the time everyone figures that out it will be too late.  The mandates are already in place and the cars will be built.  

People will individually not want a gas-sipper.  People will complain about the compromises and huge price increases this brings.  But these complainers about the future cars are the same people who responded "yes" when asked "should MPG standards on cars be raised?" 10-15 years earlier. (As if the auto industry can just wave a magic wand & improve mileage, without any indirect downsides or compromises . . )

The gearheads will blame Obama or maybe Hillary or whatever Democrat is in office, as if the public had nothing to do with it.  

Everyone will continue to bitch about gas prices.  It doesn't matter if it's $2 or $10, it's always too high.  (As if the oil industry & govt can just wave a magic wand & lower prices, without any indirect downsides or compromises . . )

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 29, 2015, 11:26:20 AM

The buyers will dictate what they make, but only within the Federal regulations that those same buyers wanted.  

My impression is that the average American is in favor of higher MPG standards on cars.  They mistakenly think this will save them money instead of costing more, but by the time everyone figures that out it will be too late.  The mandates are already in place and the cars will be built.  

People will individually not want a gas-sipper.  People will complain about the compromises and huge price increases this brings.  But these complainers about the future cars are the same people who responded "yes" when asked "should MPG standards on cars be raised?" 10-15 years earlier. (As if the auto industry can just wave a magic wand & improve mileage, without any indirect downsides or compromises . . )

The gearheads will blame Obama or maybe Hillary or whatever Democrat is in office, as if the public had nothing to do with it.  

Everyone will continue to bitch about gas prices.  It doesn't matter if it's $2 or $10, it's always too high.  (As if the oil industry & govt can just wave a magic wand & lower prices, without any indirect downsides or compromises . . )

I could read what you just said, but instead I'm just gonna bitch about it and claim all my uneduated guessing as fact!  So there!   :lol:

I have my V8, mileage sucks, I'm still happy.  My 4 banger is good on gas, lacks some torque, but still gets me going where I want while I try not to break the speed limit, and I'm still happy.

If I'm able to afford a Tesla S in the future, can it make V8 noises?  If so, I'll probably still be happy.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ws23rt

The new Tesla could indeed make any noise one could want.  A high end sound system is part of most higher end cars these days and can make just about any noise one could ask for.

If I were to buy a Tesla I would be looking for what it has to offer as it is.  Making it sound and feel like a vintage muscle car could be just a setting or two. :lol

I see no need to make new stuff feel like the old when the old is real and right at hand. :icon_smile_wink:

Dino

Quote from: ws23rt on August 29, 2015, 09:57:00 PM
The new Tesla could indeed make any noise one could want.  A high end sound system is part of most higher end cars these days and can make just about any noise one could ask for.

If I were to buy a Tesla I would be looking for what it has to offer as it is.  Making it sound and feel like a vintage muscle car could be just a setting or two. :lol

I see no need to make new stuff feel like the old when the old is real and right at hand. :icon_smile_wink:

So true, I was just kidding about the sound.   :icon_smile_big:

I saw a model S not too long ago and I can see myself driving that.  It was dead silent and I like it!

ws23rt

Quote from: Dino on August 29, 2015, 09:59:11 PM

I saw a model S not too long ago and I can see myself driving that.  It was dead silent and I like it!

I kid about the sound myself when this comes up with my friends. :2thumbs:   I have not had the experience to drive one but hope to soon.

I'm a gear head car nut from way back and am ready to feel anything new. Especially something like the instant full torque of an electric. :cheers:

Dino

Quote from: ws23rt on August 29, 2015, 10:05:24 PM
Quote from: Dino on August 29, 2015, 09:59:11 PM

I kid about the sound myself when this comes up with my friends. :2thumbs:   I have not had the experience to drive one but hope to soon.

I'm a gear head car nut from way back and am ready to feel anything new. Especially something like the instant full torque of an electric. :cheers:

I'm looking forward to that first drive myself.   :yesnod:

Mike DC

Electrics can be fast, no doubt about that.

But I'd rather be driving a slower car that sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5vFXv6T4XQ