News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pretty cool vintage RC project that I had a hand in.

Started by 440, August 18, 2015, 06:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been racing RC cars for nearly 25 years and have always tinkered with design. I've always been limited by lack of CAD skills and not knowing anyone with a machine shop.

Many of us old timers think that modern RC cars lack the charisma and looks of the "now vintage" cars that we grew up with. On a vintage RC forum I belong to I struck up a friendship with a Finnish fellow and we started a mid motor RC10 project to compete against modern cars. The finnish fellow also struck up a friendship with a machinist (they created the NIX91).

The pathway was paved to make a great car, two NIX10M prototypes were made for testing. Unfortunately something happened with the machinist and the project stalled for quite some time. The Finnish fellow and I tried to find other sources but nothing could be done reasonably.

The Machinist is now back geared up again to make parts for these cars. I think they have big plans for these cars. The NIX10M is the car I helped with.

Machinist just started with facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CNCRC-Racing-Products/1567630093513190

Finnish fellow started with facebook too
https://www.facebook.com/nixconcepts

Here are a couple pictures of my prototype car........

warmpancakes

RC10, is the car I grew up playing with still have my gold pan ...Somewhere

el dub

:icon_smile_big:   You need one of these.   :cheers:
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote from: warmpancakes on August 18, 2015, 06:48:37 AM
RC10, is the car I grew up playing with still have my gold pan ...Somewhere

Good pick.  :icon_smile:  This one is based off the stealth transmission car, with a twist.

Quote from: el dub on August 18, 2015, 08:58:09 AM
:icon_smile_big:   You need one of these.   :cheers:

That's too funny, it's tiny.....

timmycharger

Love it!!! Ive got a pretty good collection of vintage RC, representing my favorites from Tamiya, Kyosho, Associated and Losi.  

I ran a stock gold pan RC10 and Stock 5 link Losi Jrx2 at a modern track here in Mass and it did pretty well considering the brushed motor and old technology. Certainly drew a big crowd!

I have may new RC vehicles as well, but my current favorite toy is my 1983 Tamiya Frog, all stock except for a Thorpe diff/shafts, 4600KV brushless motor and Lipo battery. Its barely controllable but loads of fun!!

Great to see folks still messing with the vintage stuff. I have fond memories of the RC10s and the cow paintjobs. Masami Hirosaka (sp?) would have loved that mid engine design, even though he dominated with his stealth car the way it was

Mike

472 R/T SE

I used to be in to the old battery powered ones.  I'm thinking around '84 or so my buddy sold me his 4 x 4 so he could get a new one.  His new one had live driveshafts, etc.  I remember him having nothing but problems with it.  I know it cost him a pile of money back in the day.
I never got into the fuel powered rigs thinking they were too much money when in fact I was spending just about as much with my battery powered wonders.

Then about '03 I bought a little Corvette.  I don't remember the scale.  It ran on nitro.  The guy at work I bought it from mentioned a few times that he had just installed some kind of "2 speed transmission" that was suppose to be way cool.  Our little area in the front of the house was too small.  The thing just gets up & flies.  I think that's why I never got into it.  I couldn't putt around whatsoever, it was balls out or nothing.  I tried it once out in front of our house but immediately crashed into the sloped part of a driveway curb & seeings how I just spent a pretty penny on it, said that's it.  So I went on the hunt for a giant parking lot and then shortly after I got hurt & just never picked it back up.

The buddy I bought the Corvette from is coming over Saturday to give me a hand in getting it running again. 

I've drifted towards the quadcopters lately.  I will have quite the array of RC rigs when all's said & done.

ws23rt

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 20, 2015, 07:11:42 PM
I used to be in to the old battery powered ones.  I'm thinking around '84 or so my buddy sold me his 4 x 4 so he could get a new one.  His new one had live driveshafts, etc.  I remember him having nothing but problems with it.  I know it cost him a pile of money back in the day.
I never got into the fuel powered rigs thinking they were too much money when in fact I was spending just about as much with my battery powered wonders.

Then about '03 I bought a little Corvette.  I don't remember the scale.  It ran on nitro.  The guy at work I bought it from mentioned a few times that he had just installed some kind of "2 speed transmission" that was suppose to be way cool.  Our little area in the front of the house was too small.  The thing just gets up & flies.  I think that's why I never got into it.  I couldn't putt around whatsoever, it was balls out or nothing.  I tried it once out in front of our house but immediately crashed into the sloped part of a driveway curb & seeings how I just spent a pretty penny on it, said that's it.  So I went on the hunt for a giant parking lot and then shortly after I got hurt & just never picked it back up.

The buddy I bought the Corvette from is coming over Saturday to give me a hand in getting it running again. 

I've drifted towards the quadcopters lately.  I will have quite the array of RC rigs when all's said & done.

A great way to have fun when we can't use our legs as we used to. :2thumbs:  This is just the sort of thing I would get into if/when confronted with a limitation. :cheers:--The world around us is huge--
My recent back surgery and recovery has been a big wake up call.--I have lived in a wheel chair in my mind and am ready for it. It is just a matter of time.

472 R/T SE

Sorry to hear about your surgery.  They've talked about that with me but the last MRI determined it was a degenerative disc issue so I don't know what's in store.  It's only taken 12 years but my shoulders are already starting to act up.

8WHEELER has been in a chair since like the 80's & he's been living through hell last couple years.

Sorry to hear of the bad circumstances here. Living in a chair would be tough, I've seen a few people wheelchair bound and it reminds you of how you take your health for granted. From one without legs to one who can hardly move their hands. I know I would struggle immensely if I were in that situation, but somehow they can accept it and make the best of it. I don't know what I'd do if I were wheelchair bound.

If everything works, nothing is broken and the engine is good I see no reason not to spend a few $$ on it. Leaving fuel in the engine and tank after using it and storing it that way for an extended period is the worst thing you can do.

472 R/T SE

The human body as well as mind is an amazing thing.  I, too said I don't think I could handle ever being in a chair let alone not be able to get a "Hard On".  The latter scared me more than anything.  
But you know, we learn to adapt.  One of the hardest parts for me was actually sitting in a wheelchair for the 1st time so they could size me up for a permanent one.  That was the 1st time I cried.  The finality of it was finally starting to sink in.
It's taken until this year actually to get it in my head that I'll never walk or be able to maintain the lifestyle we had become used to by working like I used to.  I was hurt day after Turkey Day '03.

Today was one of the better days that I've had in a long, long time.  The Dr. started me on one of the strongest anti depressants last Tuesday.  My mind is mush but I had an absolute blast today.

We went up to the hobby store for fuel, glow plug ignitor thingee.  Jim, a buddy who I've only seen once since I quit working '04 tore into it.  He's who I bought it from.

Besides the 2 speed transmission, it has upgraded shocks, springs, sway bars, 1/8 wheels/tires.  I lost track how much modifying he had done to it.

He cleaned out the old fuel & we jury rigged the battery pack on top.  The little "servo" thingee for steering wouldn't recognize the batteries so we hooked them up direct & zip tied the battery pack.  After about 5 pulls, the thing actually fired up & idled.
I took over the controls & was having an absolute blast until I barely clipped a curb & the battery pack came undone so I had no control.  We don't know what happened after that since we couldn't see it.  I popped off a steering arm & broke one of the rear A links, threw a driveshaft, popped off the fuel line.  It was epic, epic disaster, lol.    :smilielol:  It was probably a good thing I didn't see it crash.

After a few minutes of running it I had to yell out that I couldn't believe I actually owned one of these, hot damn this is fun!!!

It was a treat BSing with an old buddy & renewing or I guess starting up a new hobby.  I'm hoping this hobby can get my juices flowing again.

I will say when we got to my place I got out my Traxxas Alias Quadcopter & it just wasn't near as fun.  I'm sure once I get the dji phantom3 pro going that'll change.  

But I tell you what, it was an absolute kick in the pants out there if only for 15 minutes.  I know one thing, I need a way larger parking lot with no curb islands.  When that sucker shifts ( you can hear it ) into 2nd, it's flat hauling butt.  Maybe it just looks fast due to the size.   :shruggy:
Jim was a little taken back.  He had forgotten how fast it was & thinks it might give his little battery powered hot rod a run for his money.

I don't know what model his was.  Just that it's a Traxxas.  I have a pic of it.

Mine is an HPI RS4-2.  Supposed to be a high end racer from the old days.   :shruggy:
Jim did a nice job painting up painting up my Corvette when he had it but I'm thinking of going with a Viper body or Challenger.   Anyone know of a place that has a big selection of 1/10 scale bodies?

472 R/T SE

I was having issues with pix being too big so I only went with 2 last post.

These next 2 are of my hot rod & the last one is Jim's battery powered one.  The toy Jim has that's way cool is his Aprilla 1000.  He's not the edge of your seat type but I asked about what gears would pull a wheelie.  He said a professional could prolly get it up in all gears.   :o  Talk about a bike built for one thing.

472 R/T SE

Well, I got tired of waiting on parts for my RS4 so I had to buy a Traxxas Summit.  Also ordered 2 7600 Lipo batteries with it's designated charger.
Truck is pretty cool, it has remote lockers which I thought was crazy.

I ordered the Summit Tuesday & my A arm suspension pieces showed up yesterday.  I wanted something waterproof for this winter.  I did a lot of research on the E-Maxx & Summit & the Summit is just an all around better machine for me.  If I want to haul ass I'll just park the Summit & get out my RS4-2.

So I'll have my "Nitro" fix as well as "battery" powered.

472 R/T SE

Well, I've caught the R/C virus & they haven't found the cure yet.  I should have gotten the shot, lol.

Well, it's funny to read where I was when all this started.

I've bought another Summit.  This one's used.  It has the Mamba brushless system, all the pushrods replaced with aluminum, new RPM arms all around, etc. and the best part was the carrying bag it came with.
It's the red one.  I"m thinking about just dolling the blue one all up.  I have the billet to finish out the suspension, etc.
One of the Summits will be my FPV rig.  I've bought the camera, transmitter/receiver & monitor.  I don't want the goggles seeings how I'm paralyzed I want to be aware of my surroundings at all times.
Also the Taranis 9D Plus radio, 16 channels.
Pic of the 2 Summits:

Also preordered the new X-Maxx.  It's suppose to be here Tuesday.  This thing is a monster.  The side by with a Summit is crazy. 

Looking good, the Summit is a good truck. It's a perfect all rounder for bashing. The Xmaxx looks huge, the Summit is big and Xmaxx looks massive, almost too big.

Our one piece 7075 hard anodized alloy chassis are done which are pretty nice. It definately simplifies the design. The white arms are the 3d printed wide prototypes that push it out to the ROAR maximum width of 250mm.

myk

Just what does the modern RC world think about vintage cars?  I decided to revive my Kyosho Optima Mid that I bought in 1987 and brought it to a hobby shop.  I asked about getting it running again and they  told me to forget about it.  Went to another store and they introduced me to li-po batteries and electronic speed control; this buggy is way faster and more responsive  than I ever remembered it being.  Got some new wheel and tires to replace the 30 year old rubber and I'm in Junior High again!

I think vintage cars are making a comeback, quite a few manufacturers are now re-releasing vintage cars, many with slightly updated parts. I also think the appeal is that cars many couldn't afford as kids can now buy the ones they wanted. This would be similar to Dodge re-releasing a 69 Charger   :drool5:

myk

Well here's my 80's buggy I bought in '87, a Kyosho Optima Mid I bought with paper route money and a full piggy bank.  I keep it dirty because that's what you do with off-road vehicles, right?  Now I'm going to have to take it out soon to match the new wheels/tires to the car, lol.

Do you guys think they'd reissue this car?  I wanted to upgrade to a brushless motor, but they told me at the shop that a brushless motor would destroy the belt drive system in the car in a matter of minutes, lol.  The Optima Mid/Turbo Optima was Kyosho's car back in the 80's, but I'm so out of touch with R/C that I don't even know if they're still in business.  Hell I don't even use those fancy pistol grip transmitters; I still use sticks...

472 R/T SE

440, Wow, that's some incredible work.   :2thumbs:  I'd be too afraid to run it & lose the clean, crispness of it, lol.

I don't know a whole lot about the buggies.  I was always into the 4x4 trucks.  I have my little HPI RS4 'vette for non truck.  When that thing hits 2nd you best have plenty of real estate.  At least for me, I'm still needing extra room, ha.

My X showed up today, batteries a little bit later.  They're taking these things to skate parks & launching them 20' in the air over & over.

It's probably a bit big for me but I plan on this being my basher mostly cause it has the self upright feature.

My FPV Summit project's been at a standstill waiting on boats from China is my guess?

Here's my personal X-Maxx comparison using a 1/24 scale Teton.  I bought my nephew & I matching Tetons when we were visiting family during Thanksgiving.