News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

H pipe X pipe What do I need?

Started by Dmichels, August 17, 2015, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

I need to replace the header to muffler pipes. Should I just keep my duel set up or go with the x, h type. What advantages  if any? Do either the x or h pipe work better for any engine, cam , trans type?
 I am planning on welding them up form a kit. Looking for ideas
Thanks Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

myk

I just had an X pipe installed along with the rest of my new exhaust system.  X pipes are supposed to be the most efficient setup for exhausts, although many people don't like the way they sound.  Personally, I care more about the performance than the sound so I went with it.  Besides, with 2 inch primaries on Doug's headers into a 2.5" based exhaust system I assure you the car sounds mean and loud enough...

Dmichels

Have you noticed any performance or drivability changes? I am not just interested in top end power but also standard driving conditions. How did the sound change?
Thanks
68 440 4 speed 4.10

c00nhunterjoe

The exact change varies from car to car since they are all built a little different, but generally, the pitch will deepen and the overall volume will decrease a small amount. Performance goes up slightly with the h pipe and a little more with an x pipe. The x pipe is the most efficient at enhancing cylinder scavenging

myk

Quote from: Dmichels on August 17, 2015, 08:07:40 PM
Have you noticed any performance or drivability changes? I am not just interested in top end power but also standard driving conditions. How did the sound change?
Thanks

I have a stock 440.  I was told that with 2" primaries on the headers I would lose low end torque but in my case it boosted power throughout the entire RPM range.  Now, maybe my previous exhaust was just really choking out my engine but in MY application the 2" Dougs, X pipe and Dynomax Ultraflos boosted power, throttle response, sound, gas mileage, the whole thing.  I should've done this 20 years ago and I advise other muscle car people to seriously consider these mods....

Dmichels

I have a  med hot cam for street use my low end is in question  am I better offer with the old school duels?
68 440 4 speed 4.10

tan top

when I put a tti 3 inch system on mine  ,   went for the H pipe  :yesnod:    preferred  the look over a X   ,   although if TTI were selling true duel exhaust set up , would have gone for that  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

Quote from: Dmichels on August 18, 2015, 09:35:46 PM
I have a  med hot cam for street use my low end is in question  am I better offer with the old school duels?

Can't go wrong with 1-7/8" primaries on headers and a 2.5" exhaust...

Dmichels

Quote from: myk on August 19, 2015, 07:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dmichels on August 18, 2015, 09:35:46 PM

Can't go wrong with 1-7/8" primaries on headers and a 2.5" exhaust...
That's what I have now just wondering if an h or x pipe is going to help me anyhow
Thanks for all the input
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

68CoronetRT

I have a mild built 440, I went with the H pipe and 2.5" exhaust. I was explained it like this. A river is going down stream and if there is an H in the stream what happens? It equalizes side to side. With an X at some point the two rivers cross and casue turbulence/cross flow. I was all about the X pipe until I read that they can be raspy. Also an H gives you that muscle car growl at idle. The X will give you that European high end sound at upper RPMs. To each their own though.

Here is a clip of my car with the H pipe and 2.5" on Dynomax Ultrarflow 14's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdeZ_sCbFTk

myk

Yeah my Charger does have a hint of Mustang/Euro/raspiness but....that's what flows and performs better.  That's what I was after, the sound was a distant 2nd priority...

don duick

watched a you tube clip a few years ago where they compared a H to an X on the dyno and the X produced an extra 7 hp on a small block chev

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

myk

Every application is different.  The only way to know for sure is to mount it and test it.  Again, I don't know about you guys but I'll take the 12 HP over the noise an H pipe makes.  Just my preference...

Chargerguy74

Quote from: myk on August 22, 2015, 03:32:38 AM
Every application is different.  The only way to know for sure is to mount it and test it.  Again, I don't know about you guys but I'll take the 12 HP over the noise an H pipe makes.  Just my preference...

Seems like the right choice. I would too.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Ghoste

But for sure go with one of the two crossover types.

firefighter3931

The X-pipe is the best choice....hands down !  :yesnod:

The basic function of the exhaust system is to get the spent gasses from the exhaust port to the end of the tailpipe as efficiently as possible. Several conditions come into play here, most notably reversion. Reversion occurs when the exhaust system cannot properly scavenge the spent gasses. In this scenario dirty exhaust gets pulled back into the combustion chamber and dilutes the mixture...reducing power and efficiency. This is a problem with restrictive exhaust and is aggravated when using a cam profile with tight lobe separation. There's a reason the stock Chrysler camshafts are all wide (112*+) LSA grinds. The wide LSA is there to compensate for a flow restriction and poor exhaust port relative to the intake port.

The old school grinds are split pattern with extra duration on the exhaust lobe to compensate for this issue. This is why the Crower HDP271 & HDP282 cams work so well with factory heads and HP manifolds.  :2thumbs:

Getting back to the question at hand ; with any exhaust the idea is to reduce restriction and increase efficiency. The X-pipe creates a venturi effect because the design pulls spent gases from the engine rather than making the engine work to push them. This results in a cleaner intake charge and increased power. Think of exhaust as pulses....not continuous flow through a pipe. As the exhaust flows through one head pipe and reaches the X it creates a suction (venturi effect) on the other pipe pulling the spent gasses away from the engine. This goes back and forth between both banks of the engine so that they are working in tandem with each other. With an H pipe the pressures are equalized but you won't get the same scavenging effect as you would with an X-pipe.....making the X more efficient and hence the increased power & torque.

Hopefully this helps clear up some of the questions regarding X vs H pipe discussions.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs