News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help! What is this noise?

Started by johnnycharger, August 16, 2015, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

I am thinking this can't be too good. It did this once about a year ago for just a moment and then went away. I have driven about 1000 miles since then with no issues until this morning.

johnnycharger

So I turned the distributor a hair ccw and it went away....

Lennard

johnnycharger

Lol. I still don't know why it started that all of a sudden when I was going down the highway. The distributor bolt was tight.

birdsandbees

I hear a collapsed lifter and an exhaust leak...  :shruggy:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ottawamerc

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

johnnycharger

Yup. The exhaust is leaking for sure. A possible collapsed lifter? How would I confirm that?
This morning  I took the kids to the first day of school in the charger as I do every year but then this problem came back half way there. It didn't go away with a timing change this time.  :'(

fy469rtse

You will have to pull the rocker cover  on the side you suspect its on and turn engine over by hand ,
To have rockers in closed position , affected lifter will push down fairly easy
You could run it , but it will be messy with valve cover off it , check push rods are straight also

johnnycharger

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 20, 2015, 04:01:17 AM
You will have to pull the rocker cover  on the side you suspect its on and turn engine over by hand ,
To have rockers in closed position , affected lifter will push down fairly easy
You could run it , but it will be messy with valve cover off it , check push rods are straight also

Thanks!  Added to my "to do" list this weekend.

johnnycharger

So I have both valve covers off and everything looks ok. I bumped the engine a few times and still don't fund anything  alarming.  I started it up (made an oil mess) and noticed the noise went away again. This one isn't fun! Any suggestions? ? :shruggy: