News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't start engine when hot and stopped for an hour

Started by Cosmar76, August 14, 2015, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmar76

Hello guys
I'm new here
I live in Italy and I own a 68 r/t charger.
I have two problems:
First I Can't start engine when hot and stopped for an hour or more. I have to wait for 12 hours and put some gasoline in the carburetor to get it started
Secondly if I leave the car there for some days it gets very hard to start it. I have to pump lots of times with the accelerator and I have to try lots of times.
Can you please help me?

Thanks a lot

Marco

Baldwinvette77

Welcome!, just a guess, but how long have you had it? you may need to tune the carb because of altitude differences from where you bought it from.. but just a guess.  :shruggy:

Cosmar76

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 14, 2015, 05:02:10 PM
Welcome!, just a guess, but how long have you had it? you may need to tune the carb because of altitude differences from where you bought it from.. but just a guess.  :shruggy:

It's mine since 2011

Baldwinvette77

Hows your engine oil? clean or has gasoline in it?

and check your battery terminals, a loose terminal will cause a weak spark  :shruggy:

Cosmar76

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 14, 2015, 05:04:54 PM
Hows your engine oil? clean or has gasoline in it?

and check your battery terminals, a loose terminal will cause a weak spark  :shruggy:

Thanks a lot
I'll try

super77se

WHITE AND RED 69

What motor/carb/ignition are you running?

Try wrapping the fuel lines in a heat wrap, check your fuel pump pushrod to see if it has wore down, get a phenolic carb spacer, and check how strong the ignition components are.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

birdsandbees

Get a can of quick start and next time spray a small shot into each carb venturi and hit the key. If it starts you've ruled out a coil going bad from heat. It may even keep running if it was vapour lock to start with.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

lukedukem

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52284.0.html

This thread discusses the fuel boiling out of the carb and the steps you can take to prevent it

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Cosmar76

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 14, 2015, 06:15:39 PM
What motor/carb/ignition are you running?

Try wrapping the fuel lines in a heat wrap, check your fuel pump pushrod to see if it has wore down, get a phenolic carb spacer, and check how strong the ignition components are.

Hi
Motor 440, 750 edelbrock, msd
Where can I get the carb spacer?
Thanks

AKcharger

Welcome Cosmar! We're here to help

My '72 had a similar problem, don't worry! Step 1 is do what died and bees said and use quick start...that will tell us what system we need to focus on and we can go from there...

Cheers!

ACUDANUT

Pour some gas into the carb and see if it will fire up.  If not, could be a coil or something simple as a ground wire.  :Twocents:

Cosmar76

Quote from: AKcharger on August 15, 2015, 08:31:08 AM

My '72 had a similar problem, don't worry! Step 1 is do what died and bees said and use quick start...that will tell us what system we need to focus on and we can go from there...

Cheers!

You are great!!
Both with quick start (tried yesterday) and with some gas in carb it starts immediately

hemi68charger

Quote from: Cosmar76 on August 15, 2015, 09:08:38 AM

Cheers!

You are great!!
Both with quick start (tried yesterday) and with some gas in carb it starts immediately

Was this after the hot-no-start condition? Unfortunately, that's the time troubleshooting is needed...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Cosmar76

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 15, 2015, 09:22:28 AM
Quote from: Cosmar76 on August 15, 2015, 09:08:38 AM

Cheers!

You are great!!

Was this after the hot-no-start condition? Unfortunately, that's the time troubleshooting is needed...

Yes

fy469rtse

Modern fuel in a vented , carburettor car is evaporating over hot engine ,
Carb spacer ,
Before you go replacing fuel pump, it could just need the pump rod , usually overlooked and worn, pump won't pump fully , just partially,
Put a check valve in fuel line just after filter before pump , it help holds fuel up in the line
If this fails you could put a fawcett pump in line , electric pump wired in to crank only on ignition switch to prime line on starting 
Good luck with it  :2thumbs:

Cosmar76

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 20, 2015, 03:48:49 AM
Modern fuel in a vented , carburettor car is evaporating over hot engine ,
Carb spacer ,
Before you go replacing fuel pump, it could just need the pump rod , usually overlooked and worn, pump won't pump fully , just partially,
Put a check valve in fuel line just after filter before pump , it help holds fuel up in the line
If this fails you could put a fawcett pump in line , electric pump wired in to crank only on ignition switch to prime line on starting 
Good luck with it  :2thumbs:

Thanks a lot
Next week I'll try to follow your suggestions and I'll let you know if it gets better

Hard Charger

I just conquered the poor start issue this week I also had a stalling issue at low idle once the car got hot.

issues I did to correct the problems.

poor start when hot: Reduce the heat.
carb spacer, insulate the fuel rail, heat block valley pan

stalling issue:
jetted down, installed a fuel regulator, replaced coil.

all these parts were new after just restoring the car for 4 years. the OEM stock fuel pump was pushing 10lbs and flooding the carburetor. the gas was boiling with all the heat. the new coil had a poor intermittent spark.

it took a considerable amount of time to diagnose and repair the problems. nearly 1/2 tank of gas for short rides and idling in the garage to replicate the problems.

car runs strong today.

303 Mopar

Glad you got it all worked out!  I am doing some of the same things to mine, and it's good to hear it helped!   :2thumbs:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible