News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help diagnosing pop in exhaust

Started by 68charger440, October 07, 2015, 10:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Hopefully you can hear the attached recording of what the car is doing.  I walked around from side to side so the volume will change a bit, and I kicked a tool when walking, so ignore the clank in the middle.  It is the random pops that I need help  with.  I think it is the drivers side.
725 rpm idle
14.4 a/f ratio
15" vacuum
Could this be a symptom of a wiped lobe on the cam?  I wiped the fuel pump pushrod about a month ago and now this.  The same cam is still in there, but new oil/ filter.

Basics of motor
68 Charger
440 bored 40 over with a balanced 500 inch stroker kit installed
Stock fresh 906 heads with stock stamped steel assembly
10.52 static compression. 190 compression across the board when adjusted for my altitude. Low 160s when not adjusted for altitude
edelbrock performer rpm intake
Edelbrock performer cam
MSD all in one dizzy
Blaster II coil
Mallory Hyfire VI ignition box currently disconnected due to previous electrical problems.
Proform 850 DP
Stock converter
3" exhaust from headers on back with x-pipe in the middle
3.91 sure grip
18 initial timing 34 total
5500 foot altitude
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

68charger440

I guess I can't post sound files.  I'll try to find another way...  Maybe Youtube?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Ghoste

I'd be more inclined to think it was something other than a lobe. 

cdr

a fouled spark plug can make a pop in the exhaust, my engine does not like that lean afr @ idle like 12.8-13.2   :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68charger440

Well, I did have my a/f in the low 13's, but bumped it up in hopes of clearing this out.  My car does like to foul plugs too, so I'll check them out.

c00nhunterjoe

Random pops will not be a wiped lobe. If a cam lobe is wiped, the miss pop or noise will be consistent on every rotation. Without hearing it, i will lean towards an ignition pop on the easy side or sticking valve on the hard side.

68charger440

I think my problems are all related to the fuel pump problem I had described in another thread.  I had something that somehow got into the new fuel tank and partially dissolved.  Maybe a piece of the fuller tube gasket when I installed it.   :shruggy: I don't know.  Anyway my fuel pump was clogged with this black stuff.  I wiped the pushrod on the fuel pump, and now I am wondering if maybe that clog prevented the pump from actuating without great force prematurely wearing out the fuel pump pushrod.  :shruggy: just a theory.  Any way I drained the tank and got probably a tablespoon of this black grainy stuff out and my filter was completely clogged.  Now with fresh gas it seems to be clearing out.  We'll see if it stays good now.  These old cars are full of surprises.

myk

My POP noise came from a weakened ignition/electrical system.  Once I installed an 'alt with enough output, replaced all of the wiring in the car including the plug wires, the pop noise went away...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68charger440

I had that problem once too.  Mine was caused by the main bulkhead connectors for the ammeter which basically feeds most of the rest of the of the car.

myk

Quote from: 68charger440 on October 09, 2015, 07:13:42 AM
I had that problem once too.  Mine was caused by the main bulkhead connectors for the ammeter which basically feeds most of the rest of the of the car.

Those damn bulkhead connectors.  BTW I really like your parts list/build from the first post; sounds like a very healthy machine...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68charger440

Yeah, it's kinda fun on the street, but the little pesky other things that keep popping up sure are a pain.  I guess its to be expected from a 47 year old car especially since I am the one who has been beating it for 40 of those years and when I was a kid I wasn't very nice to it.