News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I have some questions two different 383's I am thinking of using.

Started by troy.70R/T, August 04, 2015, 06:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Ok so here goes.
     The first 383 is a 1967, standard bore with flat top pistons and 346 Open chamber heads.
     The second is a 1965 with standard bore with dished pistons and 516 closed chamber heads.

Both motors ran good.

So here are my questions.

1. Should the 65 have dished pistons or should they be flat top like the 67?
2. Shouldn't the 67 also have 516 heads?
3. Should I just put the 516 heads on the 67 motor and get higher compression?
4. also I have a mopar purple shaft cam that I was going to use in my Charger years ago but I remember the cam was .484 lift (on exhaust or intake I cant remember). IF these two motors are stock will this cam be better than stock in eithier of them?
5. I was just going to put new gaskets in the engine I wanted to use. Can I put front and rear main seals in and use the old bearings as long as I keep them in order or should I get new ones? Rod and crank both.
6. does anyone know what the stock compression ratio of these engines were? and what heads they should of had from the factory?

As a final note I am sure some one is going to tell me to rebuild it RIGHT. Well I am not spending money on a 383 as far as machine work goes. I just want a 383 to put in my charger so I can drive it while gathering parts and finding a 440 to build.

The crank in both engines look good. no grooves steps or lines at all that you can even feel if you use a pick and drag across the surface. I have had cranks just polished before and that is why I was wondering about reusing the old bearings.    Any help on the half A$$ cluster F$@! rebuild????:shruggy:

BSB67

1) Do the best rebuild on the 516 heads that you can afford
2) Use a 0.018" head gasket
3) Install on the 67.
4) Purchase the small Summit cam.
5) Use what ever else you have laying around.
Done

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

troy.70R/T

do you have any numbers (intake/ exhaust lift, duration) on the sumit cam? The purple shaft is new never been used. I have need for it other than to use it for this build. I know its not worth anything to sell cause I wouldn't but it eithier lol. thanks for your input.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph