News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Richard Petty Mowers with Superbird Hauler

Started by PettyMower, August 02, 2015, 11:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PettyMower

I finally finished building the trailer to haul a pair of my restored "Richard Petty Special" riding mowers. Drove to a couple of shows this weekend.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

PettyMower

No seat belts required.  Just hold on and enjoy the ride!  LOL

wingcar

Nice combo.....and you can make some extra gas money while at car shows....LOL  :lol:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Arnie Cunningham

Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

PettyMower

Thanks!  The trailer was a fun project. It started with a crazy idea, then I designed it using AutoCAD which allowed me to figure out the required ramp length and angle with a chosen ride height.

The wheels are 13" Plymouth Arrow Chrysler Rallye's with 1980 Toyota trim rings to closely match the 15" Rallye's on the 'Bird. (Original Arrow trim rings are dull aluminum and just didn't give the right look.)

When I went to the drawing board I did not want a ramp gate that would block the view of the mowers from behind. I didn't want detachable ramps. And I didn't want the trailer to tilt. So I finally came up with an idea where the rear two feet of the trailer pivots down....but only the floor...the side frame rails do not move. So, with the canopy removed from the front of the trailer, the mowers roll forward, now no weight is on the rear floor section. Pull (2) quick-release pins, the rear floor pulls out 1" and is now unlatched from the main frame and pivots down to the ground.

Since the ramp was also designed using AutoCAD, I was able to move the ramp through it's travel months before building. The initial drawing when in the ramp-position, would kick up the front of the floor because the pivot point was below floor surface. So, I included an angle in the 1" travel that also dropped the front down the exact amount needed to keep the front of the floor flush while in both the ramp & floor positions.

nvrbdn

that sounds great. I wouldn't mind detailed pic's of the trailer. sounds like a project I would like to take on just to be able to move the go cart or the riding mowers around. would be easier than always hooking up the car trailer.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Dave Kanofsky

Nice work!  Obviously a lot of thought went into this project.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

billssuperbird

PettyMower

I forgot to mention the axle. It's a Dexter easy-lube torsion suspension axle, and tows smooth. It was also designed using AutoCAD, and manufactured to the specs sent to Dexter.