News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Didn't need a broken trans in the wife's car....

Started by A383Wing, August 02, 2015, 05:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

We packed the 2 Corgi's up and headed out to our local annual Corgi meet at a private home 30+ miles away yesterday....all was going well, travelling on the freeway, AC going in the 90+ degree heat here....then it happened.....

scraping and grinding noises were heard even with all the windows up, RPM's went up like trans was in 3rd gear, would not go back into overdrive, check engine light comes on....we pull off the freeway into a gas station, I get out and look under car, no leakage or holes in the trans...get back in and put it in reverse, no go, but lots of gear noise...decide it's best to try and go back home...put it in drive and pulled out to head home, made it one block and even more noise from trans...mind you we are 20 miles from home at this point, me and the wife and our 2 dogs, in this heat....this ain't good....finally after 2 hours of waiting, tow truck comes and takes the PT home .....almost a $300 tow bill....

so now the hunt is on for new trans or a quality rebuild.....

sigh......

skip68

That's not good.   I'm presuming you had water for the dogs?    No warning or signs lately?   Just let go all of a sudden  :shruggy:   sounds like more than a rebuilding is needed if you heard grinding noise.  Probably your best bet is a remanufactured one with full warranty.   Just be glad you weren't hundreds of miles from home.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

A383Wing

yea, we had a thermos with water and a portable cloth style water dish for them...

no warning at all, everything was fine until it let go half way to our destination....I was thinking a reman one with warranty also....I'm gonna contact Jasper Engines here in my area and see what the price is....

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: A383Wing on August 02, 2015, 05:34:57 PM
We packed the 2 Corgi's up and headed out to our local annual Corgi meet at a private home 

Sorry to hear about your transmission problems, but.......you have two?

A383Wing

birdsandbees

Drum exploded.. just like my '98 plow truck did in Feb. Never heard a automatic sound so much like my sister trying to learn stick!  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 02, 2015, 07:39:50 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on August 02, 2015, 05:34:57 PM
We packed the 2 Corgi's up and headed out to our local annual Corgi meet at a private home 

Sorry to hear about your transmission problems, but.......you have two?

:smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A383Wing

Quote from: birdsandbees on August 02, 2015, 10:01:45 PM
Drum exploded.. just like my '98 plow truck did in Feb. Never heard a automatic sound so much like my sister trying to learn stick!  :lol:

talked to a trans shop today...depending on what's all wrong or broken inside...price is gonna be $1800 to $2500 which includes them coming to get the  car and labor. Warranty is 3 year, 50,000 miles

myk

Yup, I just did that dance with the 4L60E in my Camaro to the tune of $2600.  I hate transmissions.  If I blew the motor I would have no qualms about spending thousands to fix it.  But the transmission?  Give me a break...

The transmission is a forgotten piece of equipment. Without it all those thousands wont get put to the ground. I admit I'm not happy either about spending lots of money on a trans but it has to be done. A well set up trans can also turn a car from minimal into animal.

The C4 I just had rebuilt was $1370 (I removed it and dropped it off) and is probably good to about 400hp. The forward drum was the big hold up. My C6 was 2k (shop did removal and install).

moparstuart

i can get you a good used one way cheaper
with a 1 year unlimited miles warranty
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BrianShaughnessy

Most transmission shops just R&R rebuilt units anymore.     Your old one will just go back to the rebuilder.

Used transmissions for PT's are all over ebay or probably at your local boneyard.   Some boneyards will R&R for you... for a price.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

A383Wing

the shop that the car is at now actually rebuilds them and also installs all the updates as well....

I really don't want a used one or one off ebay....how do I know the one I'm getting is bad or will go out in a week?

skip68

That's always been my look at used trannies.  You've already got a used one.     :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

451-74Charger

Quote from: myk on August 04, 2015, 03:39:08 AM
Yup, I just did that dance with the 4L60E in my Camaro to the tune of $2600.  I hate transmissions.  If I blew the motor I would have no qualms about spending thousands to fix it.  But the transmission?  Give me a break...

I feel your pain, I have 2 needing rebuilt

Mike DC

QuoteYup, I just did that dance with the 4L60E in my Camaro to the tune of $2600.  I hate transmissions.  If I blew the motor I would have no qualms about spending thousands to fix it.  But the transmission?  Give me a break...

You might wanna look into solving that issue first before going any farther.

myk

Can't help it.  I love 4th Gen F body's almost as much as I love the Charger...  :shruggy:

6spd68

Now I think the real question here is ...  Will your Corgis make it to their next meet? 

If I were to get a small dog, that would be my breed of choice  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

A383Wing

Quote from: 6spd68 on September 02, 2015, 10:38:09 AM
Now I think the real question here is ...  Will your Corgis make it to their next meet? 

If I were to get a small dog, that would be my breed of choice  :2thumbs:

we have a meet this coming Saturday....only 10 miles away.....we will be there

6spd68

Quote from: A383Wing on September 02, 2015, 06:58:20 PM

we have a meet this coming Saturday....only 10 miles away.....we will be there

Take a proper Mopar that'll get you there, and lots of pictures  :coolgleamA:
Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 28, 2015, 05:25:54 PM
What  was the mileage on it ?

The wife's PT??  Just shy of 130,000 miles...I did trans services every 30k miles...all looked good every time I removed the trans pan......the shop says that these trans were a weak link...but with all the upgrades...it should outlast me, which at the rate I'm going, that won't be too hard to do

69wannabe

A friend of the family has a 2003 PT cruiser with only 78,000 miles on it and the tranny came apart in it recently. Cost $1800 to get it back on the road again. He called me about a month after the tranny rebuild and said it had a quiver to it idiling and the check engine light was on. He dropped it off and I just figured it needed a tune up so I picked up spark plug's and wire's and pulled the upper intake plenum and swapped out all the plug's and wires and put it back together and it is still slightly misfiring at idle. Cylinder #3 misfire according to my scanner so I pulled it back apart and done a compression test. #1 had 180 psi, #2 had 180 psi, #3 had 120 psi and #4 had 180 psi. I hated to tell him that the car has most likely got a burnt valve on #3 cylinder but it is what it is. And this just after an $1800 bill on the tranny. I told him I could pull the head and get it fixed but I guess they gonna let it get worse before they gonna get it fixed. It only misses at idle, once you accelerate it is smooth. Nothing easy on the pocketbook these day's!!!!

A383Wing

yea, the trans shop said that I got a lot of mileage out of my OE trans...he says usually they crap out between 65 - 75k on the clock

6spd68

Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke

A383Wing

A383Wing

6spd68

Project 668:
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke