News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Bogging And Losing Power...

Started by csx4590, July 23, 2015, 09:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx4590

While the vent line was hooked up wrong, I had a guy check the car out today and it seems the distributor cap and rotor were bad. This was brand new stuff from Mopar/Summit Racing included in the electronic ignition kit. I had an old cap and rotor laying around, put in on and it made a difference right away. Going to get a new cap, rotor and coil today for good measure and we'll see what happens...

c00nhunterjoe

Ive never heard of a cap causing an intermittant no start that requires 30 minutes of sitting to restart..... just throwing that out there. What was determined to be malfunctioning on the cap and rotor?

csx4590

He took the cap off to check it out and there was carbon and dust on all the contacts and the rotor tip. The metal strip on the rotor was also misaligned. Fixing both that and the vent problem seemed to make it run better but I still haven't taken it on a long enough run to really check it out. Now my alternator gauge shows a negative drain so I have to figure out what that is...

XH29N0G

Not sure on this one, but I wonder if he could have just drained your battery a little when doing the work and it just needs to come back up to full charge.  Someone else will likely chime in.  If not, maybe post on the electrical section.  I hope this solves your issue.  I have been following along and am surprised the gas vent did not address it.  Good luck.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 03, 2015, 05:48:35 PM
Not sure on this one, but I wonder if he could have just drained your battery a little when doing the work and it just needs to come back up to full charge.  Someone else will likely chime in.  If not, maybe post on the electrical section.  I hope this solves your issue.  I have been following along and am surprised the gas vent did not address it.  Good luck.
Almost sounds as if it is running off the battery till the battery voltage drops too low. Then the battery has a chance to recover a bit giving it enough voltage to run again. You might have a had a couple of minor problems pop up. :Twocents: Did you try to open your gas cap again to check for vacuum? The hole in my  vent on the filler had a spider web blocking it. So even though it looked vented correctly I still had vacuum when I poped my gas lid.. :shruggy:

csx4590

Before, when the car was running and shutting off, I ran the battery down. When the car was running, the alternator gauge stayed in the middle but jumped around a bit when you turned something on (lights, radio etc). I put a new battery in the other day and with nothing drawing power that I know of, the gauge now shows a discharge at idle. It does have a new alternator but I'll have that checked before I do anything else...

PlainfieldCharger

Did you put a voltmeter on it while not running and while it is running to make sure you are charging the battery? Sounds like a voltage regulator could be bad....does not sound like it is charging to me. :Twocents:

csx4590

I had been running it with the cap cracked open and it still had the same problem. I changed the fuel filter the other day when I changed the cap, rotor and coil. I drove it around the neighborhood with the gas cap closed and it ran fine but it wasn't a long enough trip to make me feel comfortable with it. There was no vacuum when I popped the cap. It was on this short trip that I noticed the alt discharge. I might take it out today and see what happens...

csx4590

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on September 04, 2015, 10:15:05 AM
Did you put a voltmeter on it while not running and while it is running to make sure you are charging the battery? Sounds like a voltage regulator could be bad....does not sound like it is charging to me. :Twocents:

I do not have many tools other than basic stuff. I have a neighbor that might have one. I'll check it out. Thanks...

XH29N0G

I suggest getting a voltmeter.  I have a very cheap one (probably like $20 from home depot) at home and slightly nicer ones at work, but for this purpose voltage and continuity tells you a lot.  It is worth it.     
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Latest harbor freight ads have been giving voltmeters away for free.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 04, 2015, 09:06:03 PM
Latest harbor freight ads have been giving voltmeters away for free.
I give them out as gifts so they don't ask to borrow my good one.... :icon_smile_big: