News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My garage floor sweats - Charger home in Showcase car capsule.

Started by E86/A47, July 26, 2015, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Quote from: jesterCT on July 27, 2015, 08:47:01 AM
Or you could go like this.

It's pretty common to see some sort of climate controlled chamber like this all over Europe.

http://forum.bmw-02-club.de/img/uploaded/image3578.jpg

Not to be daft, but how did he get the car in that thing in the first place?

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

ITSA426

Mine used to sweat in the hot humid summer days.  Several years ago I redid my garage floor and put in a heated floor and then epoxy coated it.  It stays warm all winter so there isn't a lot of temperature change in the summer.  It hasn't sweat since.  Easy to keep clean also.

Old Moparz

Quote from: XH29N0G on July 27, 2015, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: jesterCT on July 27, 2015, 08:47:01 AM
Or you could go like this.

It's pretty common to see some sort of climate controlled chamber like this all over Europe.

http://forum.bmw-02-club.de/img/uploaded/image3578.jpg

Not to be daft, but how did he get the car in that thing in the first place?

How to get it inside.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

E86/A47

Here are videos for the car capsules, http://carcapsule.com/videos/

I am thinking dehumidifier and one of these car capsules. The Showcase version is tempting as you can drive in and out while inflated but $1700 plus shipping is pretty costly, still cheaper than some of the other options....

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

E86/A47

I decided to get one of these to protect my charger. I know it seems like a lot but my garage is really moist and this will make taking it out and putting it back in a breeze. http://carcapsule.com/showcase

E86/A47

I've been researching dehumidifiers and it seems like every one I look at has a decent number of bad reviews.

I went to the site old moparz suggested and found some suggestions like the fridgidaire 30 pint http://www.dehumidifierweb.com/frigidaire-fad301nwd/ but then go to Amazon and there are some really bad reviews. I guess for $140 what can you expect, maybe I need to replace it every year or so....?

Anyone have any good experiences with dehumidifiers?

Thanks!

64dartgt

I saw the same type of reviews when i bought two cheap Kenmore dehumidifiers seven years ago.  I bought an extended warranty on one of the two, but I didn't need it.  Both have been trouble free and one has a pretty heavy duty cycle in summer.  I figured buy cheap and if I need to buy again than at least I didn't spend a lot in the first place.  But do yourself a huge favor and get one that has the capability to run a hose outside then break out your drill first thing.  I finally drilled a hole through the wall for the second unit (the first was easily run into the sump pump well) and wish I had done it seven years ago.  No more dumping the reservoir every two days.

E86/A47

Thanks 64! I may try to get a kenmore and will instal the drain instead of emptying it. Will also get an extended warranty.

jesterCT

Years ago I bought a $200 70 pint dehumidifier at HomeDepot. I was just making sure that I can hook it up to the drain, so I dont have to empty it.
It's running daily 12h from spring to fall and I never had a problem. Just sometimes the tank fills instead of draining directly. Not a problem for me at all.

For a garage I would properly use two units.

Homerr

What was the result of the saran wrap test?  That really should have been the starting point...

Assuming you don't have a spring under your garage or some other outstanding water issue it doesn't seem like an entire garage rebuild is needed.  Jackhammer out the slab, maybe put in an interior drain line?, vapor barrier, and new slab could be done for in the neighborhood of $6-8k, cheaper if you can do it yourself.

E86/A47

QuoteWhat was the result of the saran wrap test?  That really should have been the starting point...

I put 2 pieces on 2 days ago and so far, there is not much change under or around the pieces. When I was drying the spot, I needed a piece of wood to prop my fan to face down and the area around the wood was really wet, under the wood it was dry. There is a creek about 20 ft away from the garage and about 10 ft below the surface of the garage.

I don't think I will re-do the floor, if anything I would build a new garage and have the slab done correctly. My girlfriends brother is an experienced carpenter and will help me build it. If I do a new garage it will be for the Charger and my daily driver (company car) will go in the old one.

CT, do you really think I need 2 units for my garage? It is less than 500 sq ft. Also, I will have the Showcase car capsule to keep the Charger dry.

Old Moparz

Quote from: E86/A47 on July 29, 2015, 05:40:10 PM
I've been researching dehumidifiers and it seems like every one I look at has a decent number of bad reviews.

I went to the site old moparz suggested and found some suggestions like the fridgidaire 30 pint http://www.dehumidifierweb.com/frigidaire-fad301nwd/ but then go to Amazon and there are some really bad reviews. I guess for $140 what can you expect, maybe I need to replace it every year or so....?

Anyone have any good experiences with dehumidifiers?

Thanks!

I linked to that site only as a reference & for figuring out the size you need, never read any of the recommendations or reviews.

Based on experiences in the past, small appliances to me are disposable, period. Seems that nothing is made to last beyond the warranty & it doesn't matter how much you spend. I have had very good luck with the dehumidifiers I have bought & the one I have now that runs everyday 24/7 from spring to fall is a cheap model from Home depot that is now at least 7 or 8 years old. I spent less than $175 for it & knew if it didn't work I'd return it. If it died during the warranty I'd have tried to deal with it & if it lasted a few years it was worth what I paid to keep moisture out.

Prior to that one was another unit from a discount store (Caldor) that was about $150 that lasted close to 15 years. I never buy extended warranties, they are usually not worth the paper they are printed on. My time is more valuable than fighting with a company on the phone, emails & letters, to make good on something that is prorated & will end up paying you $12.49 on a $1249.00 item.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

E86/A47

I see you are in Newburgh, I hope to meet you one day, maybe at Mopars in the Valley or ADK Nationals...?

I used that site to size one but came up with 30 pints and am thinking I should probably spend a little more and get a 70 pint unit. What do you think?

Old Moparz

Quote from: E86/A47 on July 30, 2015, 09:39:50 AM
I see you are in Newburgh, I hope to meet you one day, maybe at Mopars in the Valley or ADK Nationals...?

I used that site to size one but came up with 30 pints and am thinking I should probably spend a little more and get a 70 pint unit. What do you think?

It probably depends on how damp the space is, how much stuff is in the space, the ceiling height & whether the space is insulated or vented. Won't be a bad idea to by a larger unit if you can afford it, it won't work as hard. I don't remember the size of the one I have, I just bought it in a pinch because the old one died. It has a setting to adjust how often it runs but right now I have it running all the time. I will adjust it when the humidity breaks.

One day I'll make it to Mopars at the Valley. Timing never seems to work but I keep wanting to get there. I was just up in Lake George on Sunday to drive my daughter's friend home. How far are you from that area?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

E86/A47

I'm in Saratoga so about 20-30 minutes. You must know Brian S. Back when I was looking for my 1st Charger, he was nice enough to go look at one down there with me and advised against that one. I was then a dumb ass and bought one sight unseen on eBay. It was a matching #'s RT/SE which I did get my money back but the buyer made it into a GL.

Before mycharger1 by Loon Lake Landing, on Flickr

After mychargerasgenerallee by Loon Lake Landing, on Flickr

Old Moparz

Yeah, I know Brian. I see him at some of the cruises but I haven't been to any this year yet.   ::)

Is there still a big car show / cruise at Lake George? Labor Day weekend I think?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

E86/A47

Yes, that is the ADK Nationals. Sept 11th to the 13th. Registration is closed but I wouldn't enter my car anyways, just cruise up and check out the other cars. Last year there were only bout 6 chargers or so.

jesterCT

Quote from: E86/A47 on July 30, 2015, 08:50:04 AM

CT, do you really think I need 2 units for my garage? It is less than 500 sq ft. Also, I will have the Showcase car capsule to keep the Charger dry.

Just dont know your conditions, how bad is it? How humid is it at your place normally.

I bought one at first, tried it out and realized that I need to empty the bin every 3-4 hours. I thought thats bad (personal feeling). So I returned the first one and bought two new ones which have the direct drain ability. Thats why I have two.
I would suggest try it out, get one, let it run and see how it turns out. Scaling up is always a possibility later on.

miamivice

Quote from: E86/A47 on July 29, 2015, 02:43:09 PM
I decided to get one of these to protect my charger. I know it seems like a lot but my garage is really moist and this will make taking it out and putting it back in a breeze. http://carcapsule.com/showcase

Ive got 2 of these, 1 for my Charger and 1 for my Trans Am.   Have been very happy with them, both for the moisture problem, as well as just generally protecting the car while it is sitting in the garage.   Worth the $$ :2thumbs:

E86/A47

thanks CT. I will try 1 for now.

Thanks miamivice for the feedback. I talked with the owner Phil who was very nice and did a good job of up selling me to the showcase.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: jesterCT on July 30, 2015, 08:14:32 AM
Years ago I bought a $200 70 pint dehumidifier at HomeDepot. I was just making sure that I can hook it up to the drain, so I dont have to empty it.
It's running daily 12h from spring to fall and I never had a problem. Just sometimes the tank fills instead of draining directly. Not a problem for me at all.

On the flip side, they burn a lot of electricity. :brickwall:

jesterCT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 01, 2015, 09:46:31 AM
Quote from: jesterCT on July 30, 2015, 08:14:32 AM

On the flip side, they burn a lot of electricity. :brickwall:

true. its really a lot..... $30-$35 a month...... :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

64dartgt

One comment about my cheaper dehumidifiers.  The seem to cycle on and off quite frequently, which can be annoying.

I suggest one of these timers, which as a bonus will off surge protection.  That way you can give the units a rest too.  I started using one for my electric litter boxes to give them a rest four hours a night and they are both running much quieter.  It will probably prolong their life span.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K8M9HM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00