News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini-no-starter

Started by myk, July 24, 2015, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Question fellas:  will I have to retune the 'carb in order to compensate for the headers?  In my layman's opinion the car would be running more lean?  I'm running a 750cfm Edelbrock that is currently jetted two sizes up on the primaries, as well as having the accelerator pump rod in the maximum position.  I'm also guessing that only a drive and scan of the plugs is in order to be sure?  I really wish I had that A/F reader now...

Dino

What the heck are you still running that paperweight for??   :slap:   :lol:

The worst carb you can get for a 440.   :yesnod:  I don't know why I still have mine sitting on a shelf.  I need to get rid of that thing.  I'll send you my 650 and my TQ, you can send me those hrrible hp manifolds.   :D

I don't know if you'd have to retune it quite honestly.  I wouldn't think so on a street car but there's far more knowledgeable people here to answer that.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Yeah I'd hate to get this thing back and then destroy my engine because of a lean condition.  I want to buy a Holley, probably a 4160, or the Proform (or was it another brand?) that Ron and you guys are always talking about, but I've sorta spent all of my disposable income for the year with the full exhaust lol.    

BTW are you guys sure those are HP manifolds that I had?  I didn't think so but I'll look into it.

And it looks like the Dakota starter that I grabbed at Napa went in and started the car up right away, no issues.  Looks like Proform starters might be off of their parts list from now on.

Also, what part of "DYNOMAX ULTRA-FLO'S" do people not understand?  I don't know why the exhuast guys keep trying to push Magnaflos, Flowmasters, and now Dynomax Super Turbos on the car.  ULTRA FLO'S!!!!  Or for God's sake I will drive that car out of there with open headers to a shop that will let me put Flo's on, lol.  Nothing like customer service in the new millenium... :eek2:

Dino

Yeah they want to push their own stuff but don't let them!

Proform is the one they rave about.  I'm going with a Street Demon 1904 myself.  Anything but fhe Eddy 750 brother!   :lol:

Check the numbers, if they are HP's you can make some money, if not, you'll have more paperweights.   :smilielol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68CoronetRT

MYK, are you going to Cruisin Grand at all? I have the Ultra Flows on my car and the DB Electric Starter if you wanted to check them out. Or we should setup a trip up to Julian going up Sunrise Highway. :2thumbs:

myk

Yes the plan is to hit Cruisin Grand this Friday, assuming of course that there are no further complications with the Charger.  What was promised as a 2 day job has become two weeks.  I told them it would take 2 weeks!   :slap:

So does anyone think I'm going to have to retune the car for the headers?

ottawamerc

MYK it's not just the headers but you did the whole thing right? I believe you also put in the 3" pipes. I'm a hack at this at best but yes your car is going to breath a hell of a lot better and probably be leaner, enough to do damage  :shruggy: You should get the shop to weld in a bung while they are at it for a A/F gauge they are awesome engine management tools!

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

myk

Damn I forgot all about having them weld in bungs for the sensors.  Ah well, I'll do the plug read dance for now and hopefully it'll be enough...

myk

Ok I just got back from the exhaust place and honestly.......I'm so excited about how well the setup turned out that I'm practically moved to tears. 

To begin with, I just LOVE how fast that little Dakota starter spins the motor over-that thing looks like it's half the size of the original starter, but spins that much faster. 

Secondly....Oh man...the sound and the feel of when the Charger fires up turns my knees into f**king Jello.  This is how a musclecar is supposed to sound.  THIS is how my Charger is supposed to sound.  Why didn't I do this 20 years ago when I bought the car?!  Like I said I was going to post a video of the car, unfortunately I don't have any friends so I didn't have anyone to help me work the gas pedal and/or film for me, so all I have for now is the idle:

http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/mykranili/IMG_0701_zpsj95nch2z.mp4

Thirdly, driving this car has always brought me to Nirvana but now, with the Doug's headers, 2.5" X-pipe into the Dynomax Ultra-flos leading to the OEM looking exhaust tips?  It's so awesome it's like Christmas every time I press the gas pedal.  Now, with 2" primaries I thought I'd lose some torque but I see the opposite, and now this car pulls harder all the way up to the redline.  And the sound, along with the feel!  I mean, it's the same car I've had for decades, but...it's not anymore.  I will say that even though I didn't go with the 40 series Flowmasters, this setup is loud enough where I won't be able to chat with anyone in the car-not that I care, but I thought I should mention it for those facing exhaust decisions in the future.  Trust me when I say that with headers, X pipe and Dynomax Ultra-flos it's plenty freaking loud, and I've got the CFM to back it up.

Inside the engine compartment is also interesting because spark plug and plug wire access actually looks BETTER to me.  I don't think I'll have ANY trouble changing plugs, wires, or doing anything of that nature.  As a gesture of kindness, the exhaust shop is willing to install the wide-band 02 bungs on the exhaust at no charge.  Then again, they also want me to install electric cut-outs lol. 

In any case, I'll try to post up a video with the car actually going through the RPM range.  I'll also try to take some pictures of the finished setup.  What I can't wait to do is install my CH4B intake manifold and get an 02 reader.  If any of you are pondering the headers or not question, I say DO IT.  My Doug's headers required NO massaging at all, not one tube dinged to get in, there's plenty of clearance around the bottom of the car and the plug/wire access is more than good.  Thanks again to all of you guys: the successes that my car and I enjoy wouldn't happen if it wasn't for this site and its people.  My failures would be that much worse if I didn't have your support to recover.  Thanks to all...

BSB67

It's cool that you are so excited and like the results.  Its a good feeling.  Congrats.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Headers & Ultraflows with an X-pipe is a huge upgrade. The X-pipe actually increases torque and the increased scavenging from the long tube headers will show a nice power increase.  :icon_smile_big:

Glad you stuck to your guns and got the UltraFlow's.....they are the real deal !  :icon_smile_cool:

Looking forward to the vid clip Myk  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

myk

Quote from: BSB67 on July 29, 2015, 07:00:25 PM
It's cool that you are so excited and like the results.  Its a good feeling.  Congrats.

Yeah well the REAL goal is to get this thing dialed in like your car, but that's another thread I guess.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 29, 2015, 07:46:50 PM
Headers & Ultraflows with an X-pipe is a huge upgrade. The X-pipe actually increases torque and the increased scavenging from the long tube headers will show a nice power increase.  :icon_smile_big:

Glad you stuck to your guns and got the UltraFlow's.....they are the real deal !  :icon_smile_cool:

Looking forward to the vid clip Myk  ;)

Ron

I'm glad I listened to you guys as well.  I respect the Magnaflow and like the Flowmasters but they're just not for me or my car.  Now I have to decide on what 02 reader/system to get.  I ALSO have to start planning my engine build.   :popcrn:

Big thanks to you, Ron!

WHITE AND RED 69

Sounds great Myk! Nice to see some products fit as they should (besides the original starter  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Now post some pics of the headers installed   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 30, 2015, 01:57:27 AM
Sounds great Myk! Nice to see some products fit as they should (besides the original starter  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Now post some pics of the headers installed   :cheers:

Yes I'm really bad with taking pictures that matter lol.  Hey what 02 readers are you guys using?  I'll check the other threads but I figured I'd ask while I'm in here...

Back N Black

No question on the ultra flows, they are great mufflers. Did you have to adjust the carb after the upgrades?

myk

Quote from: Back N Black on July 30, 2015, 07:57:33 AM
No question on the ultra flows, they are great mufflers. Did you have to adjust the carb after the upgrades?

That's what I'm going to find out in the next few drives.  I'll pull a plug or two or three and see what my engine gives me.  I really should have planned this better and had the 02 wideband thing already in place.  I couldn't help it.  I wanted the exhaust system pretty badly...

don duick

great to hear a success story. try putting  the video camera on the ground so you can get in the car and rev it. sounds good at idle

69wannabe

Congrat's on your new starter and exhaust system!!!!  :2thumbs: I would like to upgrade to some of those Doug's header's myself sometime in the future. Found out about those mid 90's starter's a few years ago from my local starter and alternator guy.

He built one for me a few years back and built me another one for a spare a couple years later. He called me and said he had another core and if I wanted it he would build it up for me so I figured a spare would be good to have laying around. ;D 

You put that CH4B on there with a good 750 dual line and your smile will be hard to hide!!! Best thing I ever did on my charger was get that edelbrock carb off of it!!!! Don't understand why but all the mopar's that I have ever worked on run better with a holley carb over the carter/eddy style carbs.

myk

Thank you.  I plan to replace the Eddy 750 with a 4160 or similar, possibly with a lower CFM.  I'll paste the CH4B onto the heads after the car show season as I just don't have time with work and all.

For the sake of adding more information to the endless pile of varying experiences with endless exhaust setups, after four days of driving with the Charger my passengers aren't too crazy about the new pipes.  There's a considerable loudness (drone?) from 40 to 70 mph as long as the car is cruising or holding speed.  The ruckus disappears as soon as the car starts to accelerate, but then again that's reported to be loud as well.  Keep in mind that my passengers drive Acura's, Honda's, Nissan's, Prius', Fusion's, Buicks, etc.  Am I a heartless bastard for looking into the rearview mirror and grinning as I watch people with their fingers in their ears?

Now "I" think it's freaking awesome.  I can't remember the last time I've gotten into this thing and wanted to just drive, drive, drive until my gas card runs out of money.  Gas mileage has improved as well, and I'm almost certain underhood temperatures have cooled down a bit, if not remained the same.  Now unless I have problems with this setup I'm done with the exhaust for the time being.  After I take care of the intake and 'carb ideas I'm going to revisit my dash/gauge cluster as well as deciding on a bigger, better disc brake system than the stock one up front; probably Baer's T4.  $$$$$$$$ Fun! $$$$$$$

Kern Dog

Maybe "sound" is just a subjective thing? I have 2" TTI headers, three inch pipes with an X section and the welded Ultra-Flo mufflers and I can speak and hear people in my car just fine. I did add sound deadening in the floors and doors though. These mufflers are far quieter than my Flowmaster 42541s that I had on the car for 8 or 9 years.
I also just switched to a smaller cam to obtain better street manners. No drone, no excessive noise whatsoever. I have full exhaust to the factory style tips like you do. While it is nice if others share your opinion, the real important thing is that YOU are happy with the car. YOU own it, YOU spend YOUR money to maintain it so YOU are what really matters.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: A383Wing on July 24, 2015, 03:59:51 PM
go to local auto parts store and get a starter for a 94 Dakota with V6 or V8.....that's what I put in my car...bolt right in....and not some $300 POS either....mine has a lifetime warranty

YUP I agree with A383wing and firefighter get one at DB electrical (where I got mine) or go to autzone and get the Dakota one.  The DB one is a Dakota one also, but since autozone is local just get one there you will pay a little extra vs DB electrical. 

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 02, 2015, 08:48:26 PM
Maybe "sound" is just a subjective thing? I have 2" TTI headers, three inch pipes with an X section and the welded Ultra-Flo mufflers and I can speak and hear people in my car just fine. I did add sound deadening in the floors and doors though. These mufflers are far quieter than my Flowmaster 42541s that I had on the car for 8 or 9 years.
I also just switched to a smaller cam to obtain better street manners. No drone, no excessive noise whatsoever. I have full exhaust to the factory style tips like you do. While it is nice if others share your opinion, the real important thing is that YOU are happy with the car. YOU own it, YOU spend YOUR money to maintain it so YOU are what really matters.

Lol...uh yeah I don't have any sound deadening on my floors and doors.  You CAN conversate in my car but you've got to talk loudly and the other person needs to really be paying attention.  Looks like you and I have the same setup, pretty much.  I will consider running the sound deadening, but honestly I'm lovin' this thing like it's my honeymoon with a Playboy model...

1974dodgecharger

oh yeah great video man....first time I ever saw video of your charger its a clean setup man.... :2thumbs:

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 03, 2015, 07:07:32 AM
oh yeah great video man....first time I ever saw video of your charger its a clean setup man.... :2thumbs:
'

I need to get a 'vid with me working the gas-just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Anyway, guys like you and others here have the really clean setups.  I'm just trying to catch up...