News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini-no-starter

Started by myk, July 24, 2015, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Well, the GREAT news is that my shiny new Doug's headers went in without having to ding any tubes.  Also, there's tons of clearance around everything including the fat Hotchkis pieces, and that's with 2 inch primaries into a 3 inch collector.  Great ground clearance too!  

But...the Proform mini starter that also went in isn't engaging the flywheel.  Now as far as I'm concerned starters are just a bolt in deal, right?  Is there something we might've missed while trying to finagle this thing in?  I was running a stock starter before and had no issues at all.  Any ideas guys?  Thanks in advance...

six-tee-nine

In most cases starters have a fixed position in the bellhousing opening due to a collar on the strater housing. Meaning if you have the correct one it fits and there is no adjustment or movement possible.

What coulb be possible is that you simply have the wrong starter (maybe for an application with a larger flywheel then yours).

Maybe pull the starter and compare the number of teeth on the pinion with your old OEM part.

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

myk

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

Are the starters the same for all of the Chrysler engines?  I'm pretty sure they are?

ottawamerc

Yes I believe they are as well, if it's not engaging could be it's not in all the way (doubt that) or defective (plausible). Great to hear about the new headers thats a BIG victory right there :cheers:

Scott
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

myk

So that Proform starter just doesn't fit........right.  Looking at other car forums it seems that there're all sorts of quality control/fitment/reliability issues, so if any of you guys are in the market for a mini-starter you might want to consider anyone but Proform.  

In any case, here's the left header after it was pulled out AGAIN...

NO I'm not getting Flowmasters, lol.  I just rested the header on the nearest boxes I could find.  I'm going with short bodied Dynomax Ultraflo's, even though I have to admit that I love the Flowmaster noise and drone; I decided that the exhaust flow was more important than the "look at me and think I'm cool please" factor, even though that is important to me also.   :slap:

My X-pipe:

A Mopar Performance branded mini-starter is on its way; let's hope that the Chinese got this one right.  And why is it almost $300?!.. :eek2:

ACUDANUT

if your going with headers, I'll take the factory HP manifolds.

firefighter3931

Myk, you should have asked before ordering a mini starter.....$300 is crazy !  :eek2:

I've recommended the DB electrical starter to dozens of members and run the same starter on my car. They run about $75 on E-bay and are top shelf. That thing spins my 572 over like a 4 cylinder  :icon_smile_big:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Charger-Cuda-Hemi-440-NEW-Mini-Hi-Torque-Starter-/360477279074?hash=item53ee1ec362&vxp=mtr

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

Quote from: six-tee-nine on July 24, 2015, 05:42:18 AM
In most cases starters have a fixed position in the bellhousing opening due to a collar on the strater housing. Meaning if you have the correct one it fits and there is no adjustment or movement possible.

What coulb be possible is that you simply have the wrong starter (maybe for an application with a larger flywheel then yours).

Maybe pull the starter and compare the number of teeth on the pinion with your old OEM part.

"Maybe pull the starter and compare the number of teeth on the pinion with your old OEM part"  I thought this was only a myth ? :shruggy: :scratchchin:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 24, 2015, 02:39:23 PM
Myk, you should have asked before ordering a mini starter.....$300 is crazy !  :eek2:

I've recommended the DB electrical starter to dozens of members and run the same starter on my car. They run about $75 on E-bay and are top shelf. That thing spins my 572 over like a 4 cylinder  :icon_smile_big:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Charger-Cuda-Hemi-440-NEW-Mini-Hi-Torque-Starter-/360477279074?hash=item53ee1ec362&vxp=mtr

Ron

$300 bucks for a starter! Ouch.

I'm running the same DB starter as Ron, not a single issue with it.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Yeah that's my mistake.  I told the shop to just order it-they told me it was a lot more than the Pro-form but I said I didn't care-I wanted it NOW, I just didn't figure it was almost $100 more.  Plus I figure if this starter craps out down the road they'll be on the hook for having to take the exhaust apart and replacing everything...

A383Wing

go to local auto parts store and get a starter for a 94 Dakota with V6 or V8.....that's what I put in my car...bolt right in....and not some $300 POS either....mine has a lifetime warranty

myk

Yeah screw it-I'm canceling that Mopar starter and going to NAPA for the Dakota one...

Dino

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2015, 02:38:55 PM

You beat me to it.  I'm thinking of ditching my headers.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ws23rt

Quote from: Dino on July 24, 2015, 09:23:27 PM

You beat me to it.  I'm thinking of ditching my headers.

:2thumbs: I've been thinking that for years. :lol:  I acquired a set of headers for my 70 charger and put them on just because they were headers. The first thing I noticed was nothing. :shruggy: The second thing I noticed was it was a bitch to get to the starter.

We can add many things to our cars for many reasons.---Is it for show? ---is it because others do it?---
If one put's headers on their car, where does the satisfaction come from? I do know what cool is all about and I spend much for it :shruggy:

I'm just talking to myself as well as others. :icon_smile_wink:

Dino

Quote from: ws23rt on July 24, 2015, 09:38:30 PM

:2thumbs: I've been thinking that for years. :lol:  I acquired a set of headers for my 70 charger and put them on just because they were headers. The first thing I noticed was nothing. :shruggy: The second thing I noticed was it was a bitch to get to the starter.

We can add many things to our cars for many reasons.---Is it for show? ---is it because others do it?---
If one put's headers on their car, where does the satisfaction come from? I do know what cool is all about and I spend much for it :shruggy:

Hey I hear ya  :icon_smile_big:

I have never bought headers, they're just always on the car when I get it.  Not only do they make access a pain, and raise the underhood temps, my main beef with them is the sound they make.  It sometimes drives me crazy to hear that typical header thin metal sound come from under the car.  And since I'm not needing the supposed HP increase, I think I'd be much happer with HP manifolds.  Add a heat stove and I can finally use that dual snorkel I've had on the shelf for so long.   :yesnod:

Too bad people want your first born for the damn things.

Chargerguy74

Some info I came across just before purchasing a mini starter last week.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

ws23rt

Quote from: Dino on July 24, 2015, 09:46:27 PM

Hey I hear ya  :icon_smile_big:

I have never bought headers, they're just always on the car when I get it.  Not only do they make access a pain, and raise the underhood temps, my main beef with them is the sound they make.  It sometimes drives me crazy to hear that typical header thin metal sound come from under the car.  And since I'm not needing the supposed HP increase, I think I'd be much happer with HP manifolds.  Add a heat stove and I can finally use that dual snorkel I've had on the shelf for so long.   :yesnod:

Too bad people want your first born for the damn things.

:cheers:---There is a constant push pull with these old cars.  I personally like them the way they were made. When one starts to modify them it becomes a different beast. :2thumbs:

Dino

My sentiments exactly.  Either go all out or leave it alone.  I now have a low comp engine with a mismatched cam that went out of style 20 years ago, some cheap headers, and a stupid performer intake.  Yeah that worked out.   :lol:

My engine is a 71 so in the boxes of parts that came with the car was the 71 only intake manifold, the good one!  That's going back on with a street demon carb and a slightly hotter than stock cam.  I can't wait!  HP manifolds would be awesome but I don't know if I'll have the funds for them.  I'd also have to modify the exhaust to fit the manifolds.  These headers actually never gave me issues, temps are not too hot, and the stock starter even fits...but that sound... :eek2:

Of course without the headers the sound coming out the back may not be as nice anymore, but the cam will change that as well.  As cool as this beast sounds, I'm sure I won't miss it for very long when the car is running as it should.

I thought about heatwrap to muffle them under the hood but that's just a band aid.

A383Wing

never wrap headers...they will rust out from the moisture trapped in the asbestos heat wrap

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on July 24, 2015, 10:10:31 PM
never wrap headers...they will rust out from the moisture trapped in the asbestos heat wrap

Good to know!   :cheers:

myk

You beat me to it.  I'm thinking of ditching my headers.

:2thumbs: I've been thinking that for years. :lol:  I acquired a set of headers for my 70 charger and put them on just because they were headers. The first thing I noticed was nothing. :shruggy: The second thing I noticed was it was a bitch to get to the starter.

Faster, louder, better.  That's my agenda for the car... :2thumbs:

Although lately all I've encountered is pricier and more annoying...

don duick

Myk

please let us know how your new exhaust sounds and if it is loud drone etc. I just put a pair of dynomax VT mufflers and they sound great and have no drone.

myk

Quote from: don duick on July 25, 2015, 03:21:00 AM
Myk

please let us know how your new exhaust sounds and if it is loud drone etc. I just put a pair of dynomax VT mufflers and they sound great and have no drone.

Yes, despite the pressure to mount Magnaflows or Flowmaster 40's I am sticking with Dynomax Ultra-flos, although in a short body style because I want it as loud as possible, but not THAT loud....for the neighbors...I'll let you guys know and post a video/sound clip when and if I can..

BSB67

Quote from: myk on July 24, 2015, 12:19:21 AM
........with 2 inch primaries into a 3 inch collector.  

Seems like an odd size

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

myk

Yeah I'm a little worried about the size.  Guess I'll just have to go and get a bigger engine to go with the headers...