News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody use Por15?

Started by 70sixpkrt, July 23, 2015, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sixpkrt

Anybody use Por15 to stop rust on their trunk floor?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Mike DC

To cover decent metal?  Yeah.  I've used it.   

It is strong stuff but it has adhesion and sunlight and topcoating issues.  The only way it works is if you take the drastic step of following the directions.     

Would I use POR again?  I dunno.  Depends on what I was doing.  It's good, but so is epoxy primer.  EP has fewer complications & limitations.  I'm not big into trying to cover surface rust with paint either.  Some people are. 

70sixpkrt

I've got some rust from my trunk mat. No holes but want to treat it.

Dreamcar

Look into Chassis Saver. Almost the same as POR, but a little easier prep. Like POR, prep is key.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Canadian1968

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on July 23, 2015, 08:26:55 PM

Sounds like it is pretty minor ? I would take a wire wheel , on the end of drill and remove the rust , or as much as you can . Then spray an epoxy primer on there and top coat if you want . I am a big fan of SPI epoxy , high zinc content , easy to use , hard and a rock once fully cured !

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dreamcar on July 26, 2015, 08:05:40 AM
Look into Chassis Saver. Almost the same as POR, but a little easier prep. Like POR, prep is key.

I also recommend chassis saver.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on July 26, 2015, 08:43:51 AM

is it resistant to brake fluid?  I had brake fluid drip on my POR15 rails and took the POR15 off like butter.

Dreamcar

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 26, 2015, 10:28:52 PM

is it resistant to brake fluid?  I had brake fluid drip on my POR15 rails and took the POR15 off like butter.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

jaak

Quote from: Canadian1968 on July 26, 2015, 08:41:13 AM
Quote from: 70sixpkrt on July 23, 2015, 08:26:55 PM

Sounds like it is pretty minor ? I would take a wire wheel , on the end of drill and remove the rust , or as much as you can . Then spray an epoxy primer on there and top coat if you want . I am a big fan of SPI epoxy , high zinc content , easy to use , hard and a rock once fully cured !

I agree.

Jason

1974dodgecharger

I have bought probably 6 gallons of POR15 each gallon I think was 90 bucks?  Don't remember, but that chassis seems a lot cheaper......
Quote from: Dreamcar on July 27, 2015, 05:31:55 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 26, 2015, 10:28:52 PM

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

Brock Lee

I have used Por15.

As mentioned, it is important to follow directions and the claims it doesn't hold up to UV exposure is absolutely true. I did my floor pans with it 10 years ago. I did not paint over it. I just pulled back the carpet recently and the areas under the carpet look as good as the day I painted it. Areas not covered by carpet getting even residual amounts of UV is flaking off the metal.

70sixpkrt

I'm just using it for small area in the trunk. Don't know what to use but just want to stop the rust from getting bigger.

Dreamcar

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on July 28, 2015, 01:56:05 PM
I'm just using it for small area in the trunk. Don't know what to use but just want to stop the rust from getting bigger.

You might not even need to make this complicated at all if there's no moisture getting in the trunk. You would probably be ok just taking a brass wire wheel on a grinder and removing most of the rust. Then shoot some rustoleum primer and topcoat or something similar, which if I'm not mistaken is made to go over rust anyway. Unless you have something scratching the paint back off or unless your trunk is always submerged, you will likely be ok, all for no more than $20

Old Moparz

Another product to consider is made by PM Industries called Mastercoat. I've used this on many car parts & the rusty steel lally columns in my basement. A friend turned me onto it about 20 years ago & said he likes it better than POR 15.

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/

I bought high temperature coating from them but have not tried it yet. Hope to soon & will see if it's any good.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ACUDANUT

Don't use it for areas that sunlight hits.  :Twocents:

What about rust bullet? It's expensive though

Dreamcar

Quote from: 440 on August 08, 2015, 08:38:18 PM
What about rust bullet? It's expensive though

From what I've read, POR, RB, and CS are all about the same except for a few differences in prep. As mentioned, I tried CS and liked it so far. Their customer service has been second to none. But like I also said, for 70sixpkrt's issue, any one of these may just be overkill and more $ than necessary.

HeavyFuel

The best way I used POR15 was to coat my differential, k frame and front bumper supports in it, wait a few hours for tack-up, then shoot it with SEM Trim Black.

The results are awesome, and bulletproof.

bill440rt

I used POR-15 on my floor pans/undercarriage, interior area, inside the frame rails after removing the trunk floor, etc. This was after sandblasting.
It likes a CLEAN, rough surface to adhere to. If applied over a smooth surface it will peel. This is why they suggest a clean rusty surface (after wire brushing). A clean metal sandblasted surface is ideal as well. Just make sure it is clean & free of oil/contaminants. They do not recommend the use of a solvent-based cleaner, either. You can use their water-based degreaser instead, or similar product.

As mentioned it is UV sensitive & must be topcoated. On many areas that needed to be painted I applied their self-etching primer over the cured POR-15 (it's intended purpose), & then topcoated with paint. It's held up great so far now going 8 years.

Just be sure to read their tech sheets & follow them closely.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lord Warlock

I used it on the entire interior floor after grinding/buffing all the surface rust off (after taking out the carpeting and pads there was a lot of minor rust that came off easily.  A little tends to go a long way, follow directions and don't get any on you or you'll wear it for a few days afterwards.   (wear gloves)
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Cncguy

Alright, I've been thinking this over for about two weeks wondering. If I paint the insides of my frame rails with por-15 or rust bullet what happens when you weld on them? Welding the floor pans to the rails will generate some heat. So won't this damage the coating?

68charger440

Quote from: Cncguy on September 01, 2015, 09:16:31 AM
Alright, I've been thinking this over for about two weeks wondering. If I paint the insides of my frame rails with por-15 or rust bullet what happens when you weld on them? Welding the floor pans to the rails will generate some heat. So won't this damage the coating?
Yes, you will have to reapply for a couple of inches around the area after welding, but the mating metal you are welding should be free of rust to begin with so you are just reapplying to anything that is close to the weld that has been treated.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

pipeliner

Quote from: HeavyFuel on August 24, 2015, 09:27:52 PM
The best way I used POR15 was to coat my differential, k frame and front bumper supports in it, wait a few hours for tack-up, then shoot it with SEM Trim Black.

The results are awesome, and bulletproof.

That's how I use Port 15 with awesome results. I've used Rust Bullet also and it Does not work nothing like it says it does. I used some of it as a natural metal color with 3 coats and rust is coming through it after I sand blasted it lol

stripedelete

Save some money.     1:3 penetrol to boiled linseed oil. 
Brush it onto (wire brushed rusty surface).  Then paint.   I use rustoluem.

Skeptical?  I was too.   Try it on a trailer or a piece of equipement.