News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 headlight doors

Started by Gabycharger, July 21, 2015, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabycharger

Hey everyone,
Im having a problem with my 1970's headlight doors.
I did the headlight relay upgrade, and ever since the doors have been acting weird and i cannot find the problem.
With the ignition on and the switch on the doors pop up, but when i go to turn it all off. the doors remain open.
It is only when i turn the ignition BACK on, the doors then CLOSE!.
I cannot figure out why its acting like this, hoping someone can point me in a good direction to start testing.
Thanks!

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

68 RT

You need a single pole double throw relay. If you bought the one in the link it is a single throw.

Gabycharger

i didnt change the relay for the headlight door motor though, i only upgraded the headlight relays. that's the puzzling part.

LaOtto70Charger

Do your low/high beams work properly?  My floor switch went bad and that somehow was messing with my door relays.

Gabycharger

I noticed my highs seemed somewhat dimmer then usual.
As for the floor switch.. they seem to be able to command the headlight doors to open and close on its own.

b5blue

If you turn the key off before turning the lights off I believe it's normal that the doors remain open. (Something about the feed back loop?)  :scratchchin: 

Gabycharger

Okay well i just went back to the car. its acting somewhat different i have no idea what happened, but here's what shes doing.
If i keep the ignition OFF, the lights work as they should ( with the light switch ).
The minute i put the key on ignition, things mess up.... turn the ignition ON, turn the lights on, they go on, but if i try and turn the lights off with the light switch they wont turn off.
They only turn off when i turn the ignition off...
A similar thing happens with the headlight doors. the headlight doors only CLOSE with the FLOOR switch....
any ideas what the hells going on here?!

LaOtto70Charger

Are you sure the new wiring is correct? May to try a new switch since they are cheap.  The floor switch should change high to low beam.  It should not affect the doors.  My switch went bad and for some reason doors would go up when the I turned on car I think.  It was last year :) anyway if working right doors should only go up when lights are turned on and back down when switched off. 

Gabycharger

i checked the wiring it seems fine. what could cause this sort of problem in the wiring?!