News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel fouling plugs easily on my stroker

Started by 68charger440, July 15, 2015, 08:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSB67

Quote from: 68charger440 on July 18, 2015, 03:07:11 PM
To be fair, that plug has been cleaned and reused and has been in for a few weeks before the car acted up to the point of fouling them out so badly that the car wouldn't start again. Typically what happens is If I put in new plugs it will start easier for a short while, but unless I take it out for a ride every time I start it to really heat it and burn them clean it will act up and start to foul them much quicker than any car I have had in 40 some odd years of driving.  The idle circuit is loading it up and I can't get it to lean out.  It runs great once you take it out and blow the cobs out, but the idle is just way to finicky for me.  I want to be able to play around with it idling in the garage without having to take it out for a full cruise to burn it clean every time.

Okay.  This is way different than what you stated in your original message.....and makes more sense.  So, it is possible that the carb is too lean on the idle circuit.  This is why it takes so long to warm up and idle, as a rich idle will idle nicely when cold, why it stinks, why the plugs get black, and if you have an 02 meter, why shows lean at idle.  It could also cause part throttle detonation.  Could be the carb (likely) or could be a vacuum leak.

Just maybe.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

69wannabe

I tried one of the 670 street avenger carb's on my 383 several years back and it took me awhile of tuning and jetting to get it to run "OK". Not a fan of the street avenger carbs either....

68charger440

Yea, I've heard that more times than I can count now.  Too bad I didn't hear it before I bought it.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!