News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird ~ Items under carpet

Started by PettyMower, July 24, 2015, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PettyMower

Took the front bench out for the first time for a re-cover. Took a peak under the seam in the carpet and found (3) items.

It still had it's original vinyl top until recently, and under the carpet was a 1/2 circle of vinyl top material. So, the carpet was installed after the vinyl top.

The second item appears to be a headliner clip. So, the headliner was probably installed before the carpet as well.

And last was the I.D. tag adhered under the back section of the carpet that reads:

10  14  69
COLL IN
AIKMAN
24  0400
1704CX8
CHRY  B R BEN
BLACK

And hand written with ink:  B 70 or B-10 (of course it's probably B 70 for B-body 1970)

Arnie Cunningham

I too was fortunate enough to be the first person to remove the carpet in my car.  I also found a swatch of the vinyl top material.  And, there was a mangled tor-red paperclip that I assume was used to hang the fender tag inside the car.  And, I found the diamond shaped tag that came with one of the original keys - it has the key code stamped on it.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

PettyMower

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 24, 2015, 06:09:00 PM
I too was fortunate enough to be the first person to remove the carpet in my car.  I also found a swatch of the vinyl top material.  And, there was a mangled tor-red paperclip that I assume was used to hang the fender tag inside the car.  And, I found the diamond shaped tag that came with one of the original keys - it has the key code stamped on it.

Cool findings!

I've still not removed the carpet. I found those (3) items by lifting up and peaking under. Who knows what else I'll find under there.

hemi68charger

Albeit it wasn't an aero car, when I pulled back the carpet on my survivor '71 Charger R/T, I too found cool stuff on the passenger front floor pan; an IBM QC card, broadcast sheet and vinyl top swath...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

62 Max

All I ever found was dried up candy and loose change !:confused:

Arnie Cunningham

After working in a wrecking yard I became convinced that cars left the factory with at least one 22 shell and a red plastic Conoco token/poker chip under the carpets.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 62 Max on July 24, 2015, 07:57:15 PM
All I ever found was dried up candy and loose change !:confused:

Those assembly line workers weren't supposed to eat on the assembly line and guess they didn't like their spare change....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

SBBob

When I did the first right side quarter panel replacement (1985) we found an unopened can of ham (6 oz size).  I don't think it was from the factory line, but someone eating there lunch at Creative Industries working on the rear plug as it had slipped down under the glass.  Did not think about it then, but should have kept it just for the fun of it.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

hemi68charger

Quote from: SBBob on July 25, 2015, 10:02:02 AM
When I did the first right side quarter panel replacement (1985) we found an unopened can of ham (6 oz size).  I don't think it was from the factory line, but someone eating there lunch at Creative Industries working on the rear plug as it had slipped down under the glass.  Did not think about it then, but should have kept it just for the fun of it.

I was under the impression that the special components were built at Creative, but the cars themselves were all assembled at the production plant, no?

Troy

SBBob

I am not sure how it really worked.  If they were done at the factory then someone was eating their lunch on the line.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

A383Wing

when I pulled the original carpet on my cream 66, I found 15 NOS drip rail corner chrome connector pieces under there...these are the pieces at the top of the front of the car

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 25, 2015, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: SBBob on July 25, 2015, 10:02:02 AM
When I did the first right side quarter panel replacement (1985) we found an unopened can of ham (6 oz size).  I don't think it was from the factory line, but someone eating there lunch at Creative Industries working on the rear plug as it had slipped down under the glass.  Did not think about it then, but should have kept it just for the fun of it.

I was under the impression that the special components were built at Creative, but the cars themselves were all assembled at the production plant, no?

Chrysler management decided to have Lynch Road build running, completed SuperBirds, minus the wing and the nose cone assemblies. The cars would then be transported to the nearby Clairpointe Pre-Production facility for completion. Most special SuperBird parts were to be supplied by the custom-specialty firm Creative Industries, which either made these parts or purchased them from outside vendors.

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RallyeMike

The coolest thing I ever found was an inspection reject report that sent the car back around to have the vinyl top corrected (72 Roadrunner). I've never seen another.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/