News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird on ebay restored with finish paint under the car

Started by kiwitrev, July 17, 2015, 11:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwitrev

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 22, 2015, 02:02:46 PM
Mopar's were all dipped in a tank of dip primer, the exterior hosed off, baked dry, primed and painted. Whatever paint got on the bottom got on the bottom. The painters weren't killing themselves to try and get any paint on the underneath. The "dip primer" was usually a gray color - except at the LA plant where a lot of the cars used a black dip. Here is the u/side of one of my Daytona's - you can clearly see the gray dip color as well as the paint overspray.
this is exactly what I was getting at so a "correct" restoration should look like this not the "rotisserie finish paint" that is being done by most restoration shops. I personally think restored means as per factory or as per delivered to the first buyer, with dealer installed options or undercoating.
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

maxwellwedge

maxwellwedge

Quote from: kiwitrev on July 22, 2015, 04:54:55 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 22, 2015, 02:02:46 PM
Mopar's were all dipped in a tank of dip primer, the exterior hosed off, baked dry, primed and painted. Whatever paint got on the bottom got on the bottom. The painters weren't killing themselves to try and get any paint on the underneath. The "dip primer" was usually a gray color - except at the LA plant where a lot of the cars used a black dip. Here is the u/side of one of my Daytona's - you can clearly see the gray dip color as well as the paint overspray.
this is exactly what I was getting at so a "correct" restoration should look like this not the "rotisserie finish paint" that is being done by most restoration shops. I personally think restored means as per factory or as per delivered to the first buyer, with dealer installed options or undercoating.

Before people like Roger Gibson started restoring cars - People were painting the bottom like the top.....a very common and accepted practice.....Lots of older OE Gold cars were certified this way during that era. Roger upped the bar substantially with his restorations - regardless of brand. He studied and noted every aspect of the car and its finishes - even the smallest of inspection marks and put them back exactly as he documented them. It actually ticked some of the current restorers off.....because now they had to up there game as well.