News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C Receiver-Drier Disconnect

Started by VegasCharger, July 11, 2015, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Hello I have a 1973 B Body A/C set-up in the begining stages of removal of the underhood assembly. Surprisingly it still had freon in it. I know this because I went to start the removal of the lines at the firewall. When I cracked the line with a big cresent wrench I heard the hiss sound. I wasn't expecting this as I thought it would've been empty. Anyway I immediately closed the line back up.

My question is that I've heard when you remove the receiver-drier (pics below) it can be damaged if not treated properly after releasing the freon. Something to do with moisture getting inside. So what is the proper way of handling this matter? Do you seal it off right away? If so what's the best thing to use? Are there any other measures to the other underhood A/C parts?

Thanks in advance :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Bryan

A383Wing

you can cap off the ends of receiver drier with rubber or plastic caps...but yer gonna put a new one on anyway, so why bother

Dino

Yeah no point in it, the drier needs replacing. I got a 4 seasons drier for $20 or so, but they're different for 2nd gens are they not?

If there's still freon in there then it needs to be evacuated.  I don't know if this will be an issue with R12 but what can you do?  Once the system is vacumed cap the evaporator and condensor.  Drier,expansions valve and rubber hoses should be replaced, hard lines can be cleaned out and capped.  Evaporator and condensor should be flushed I guess but I'm not sure what the protocol is.

Time to visit the friendly neighborhoood a/c shop!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

VegasCharger

So basically the drier is worthless once removed from it's original existance? Meaning once the A/C system fails and it being 40+ years old. Plus relatively cheap to replace unless going for correct restoration (in my case I am not).

Thanks for the replies thus far :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete in NH

Hi,

As others have said, I would just scrap the old dryer and replace it when you reassemble the system. Dryers have the capacity to absorb about 100 drops of water and I would say over 40 years that one has done its duty.

On storing the other components in the system- I would make up some inlet and outlet metal cover plates with rubber gaskets for the RV-2 compressor and bolt them in place. That will keep the oil in and moisture out. The fact that there is still R-12 in the system is a very good sign. You may have difficulty finding a shop to recover the R-12 as almost no one wants to deal with R-12 anymore and has recovery equipment for it. The EPA will get very upset if you just vent it off and it's illegal to do so.

Cap or plug all the lines, expansion valve,  evaporator and condenser ports to store the parts, you want to keep dirt out until you flush them out with A/C flush solvent.

What are your future plans for the system? Will you be keeping the R-12 or converting to R-134A? How you recondition the old parts depends on the refrigerant. In any case I would plan on rebuilding those 40 year old rubber lines. Since the system still had freon in it, the compressor is likely in good shape and some new seals will likely be all in needs.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Pete in NH on July 12, 2015, 08:39:01 AM
Hi,

As others have said, I would just scrap the old dryer and replace it when you reassemble the system. Dryers have the capacity to absorb about 100 drops of water and I would say over 40 years that one has done its duty.

On storing the other components in the system- I would make up some inlet and outlet metal cover plates with rubber gaskets for the RV-2 compressor and bolt them in place. That will keep the oil in and moisture out. The fact that there is still R-12 in the system is a very good sign. You may have difficulty finding a shop to recover the R-12 as almost no one wants to deal with R-12 anymore and has recovery equipment for it. The EPA will get very upset if you just vent it off and it's illegal to do so.

Cap or plug all the lines, expansion valve,  evaporator and condenser ports to store the parts, you want to keep dirt out until you flush them out with A/C flush solvent.

What are your future plans for the system? Will you be keeping the R-12 or converting to R-134A? How you recondition the old parts depends on the refrigerant. In any case I would plan on rebuilding those 40 year old rubber lines. Since the system still had freon in it, the compressor is likely in good shape and some new seals will likely be all in needs.

Thanks Pete for your input. Actually I am removing these components for someone who is going to use the complete A/C system to put in his 73 Charger. Complete in everything, A/C heater box, A/C heater control & cable, all of the A/C lines, A/C compressor & brackets, water valve, condensor, vents, ducts, the whole system. The car I'm removing it from is a '73 Satellite 400 BB. It will not need the A/C as it's going to be either a track car or parted out.

However when it comes time to do my 68 Charger's A/C system I'll be sure to post in here as there is plenty of member help in here especially you as I see you in here a lot when regarding A/C tech terms.

Thanks  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Bryan