News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most popular car colors for men and women

Started by wingcar, July 08, 2015, 03:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcar

The Most Popular Car Colors for Men and Women: Orange is the New Black

By Paul A. Eisenstein

One only has to follow fashion to know that men and women typically have very different tastes when it comes to colors. But while guys might tend towards more subdued shades when it comes to the clothes they wear, they're much more open than women to bright, bold and flashy colors for the vehicles they buy.

A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige.

"These study results could suggest that women are more practical in their choices. For the most part, they may just want to buy a reasonably priced car that safely drives them around," said Phong Ly, co-founder of the used vehicle website iSeeCars. "On the other hand, for men, perhaps they may be a bit more idealistic about cars, preferring something that has speed and is fun to drive."

To come up with its color trend study, the website looked at 30 million used vehicle listing, while also analyzing the requests that shoppers made. The results were then broken down by gender.

There have traditionally been some strong differences in color choices. Men have long favored red and black, colors normally associated with the high-performance sports and muscle cars they're far more likely to purchase. Surprisingly, both of those hues fell in popularity this past year, however, from first and third among men to fourth and fifth, respectively.

Even with the muscle car segment growing rapidly, men turned to orange which gained 73.3% in popularity while red dipped by nearly a third.

Orange led the color choices among men, followed by brown and yellow. But men favored a wide palette of nine colors, according to the iSeeCars study. By comparison, women showed a strong preference for only three hues: gold leading the way, followed by silver and beige.

That's in keeping with studies by the top paint suppliers, such as BASF and DuPont, who have found various silver shades one of the perennial leaders in the new car market. But there has been growing demand for more vibrant shades, whether oranges, gold or blues.

While blue is not one of their top choices overall, it's gained traction among women minivan buyers, the study found.
Color choices often come closely linked to the type of car a shopper picks, whatever their gender. Red and black – and now orange – are wildly popular for sports cars, pickups and sporty coupes.
Silver is a favorite shade for sedans, wagons and minivans.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

TruckDriver

I prefer black, blue, red or green colors, but all dark in color too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Baldwinvette77

JB400

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 08, 2015, 07:15:12 PM
No flat black?  :shruggy:
The number of cars you can buy brand new in flat black, is severely limited.  I think BMW is the only manufacturer that will sell a flat paint car in mass production.

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

myk

Women are weird.  They like their cars gold and beige but they wear fluorescent pinks, greens, blues and whatever else for panties and bras...

HPP

The big car manufacturers spend a lot of bucks understanding this and changing their color pallets to support it. It is also a very dynamic science and not only is gender divided but also can change based on personal financial situations, the national economy, global situations, the phese of the moon....

tan top

like reds, white , silver , some blues ,  not keen on black although have had cars in many different colors   , might come as a suprise to many  , don't like yellow , it looks crap on anything except a muscle car ,  looks best on a  on a second generation Charger especially Y2   :icon_smile_tongue: ;) :P  :drool5:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Lord Warlock

Think they are a bit confused. Yellow has never been a popular color. Yes it looks good on muscle cars, but looks strange on SUV's and trucks.  And as much as I love Y2 and Y3 on 2nd gens, and even have a 2010 detonator yellow challenger r/t as a daily driver, I'm one of about 4 yellow challengers in a city of a million people. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.