News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Defroster delete plate on instrument cluster

Started by john108, June 30, 2015, 07:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

My Defroster delete plate, on instrument cluster, should have 4 tabs for snapping onto the cluster face.
Two of my tabs are broken off.
Is there a fix for this?
I don't plan on installing a rear window defroster.
Has anyone used this location for something else?
Is an acceptable option to epoxy the plate in place??
I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Dino

Do you have the broken tabs or do you have a scrap piece of ABS plastic to make some?  You can '"weld" the tabs back on with a soldering iron.  Just hold the tab against the plate and touch both with the soldering iron to make it stick.  Then just use a criss cross pattern with the iron to meld it all together. This way it'll retain enough flex to reuse it.  It can still break, but not as easily as if it were glued.

I sometimes see these plates on ebay and I'm sure others here will have one for sale in case it doesn't work.

You could also use some double sided carpet tape, trim tape, or velcro to hold it in place.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

john108

Dino
I don't have the Tabs!  They probably had hook ends like the two that are still there.
My patience and skill level would probably make plastic welding impossible.
The double sided tape sounds good to me.  The gap with Velcro would probably be noticed.
Epoxy may be too permanent, but maybe that is OK?
Thank you.

DC_1

Put a few dabs of silicone on the back where the tabs are missing and it makes contact with the bezel. It will hold the plate in place but still allow you to pop it off in the future if need be.

Dino

I wouldn't use epoxy as you stand to lose more than the delete plate should you ever need to remove it. DC's idea will work but be aware that it will mess up any fresh paint in the vicinity.  Real silicone anyway.

I''d go with double sided tape first, you can layer it so the plate is flush with the bezel and you can remove the plate and reinstall it without having to replace the tape.

Troy

Those little covers are reproduced now. Several years ago I remember paying $65 for an NOS one! Even in good shape they tend to rattle around a bit. I don't think there's a gap - ie. it should pretty much sit tight against the bezel. In the past I've used that "dum dum" stuff made for sticking posters on the wall to hold my cars together. It doesn't harm any surfaces.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

john108

All good options.
I did a google search for dum dum and all that came up was candy!

Dino

What you're looking for is strip caulk.  A gooey but solid roll of black goodness!  I've used that stuff for tons of applications, including using it on the end of a screwdriver so the screw would stick to it and not fall into the door or something.  Great stuff!

Troy

That may work also but it's not the same stuff I was referring to. The last time I hung posters I found some new strips from 3M that are removable and they work way better (for that purpose) than the old stuff.
http://elmers.com/product/detail/e1531

Heck, have you tried good old masking tape or Scotch tape? Those covers don't weigh anything.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.