News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto gear shift knob removal

Started by NZCharger, July 04, 2015, 09:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZCharger

I need to reinstall my console on my 69 charger ,i have used the allen key to loosen screw on the wooden knob but
the knob dosent want to come off , feels like theres a cable in there preventing its removal

A383Wing

loosen set screw, then unscrew knob until it comes off the cable threads

NZCharger

Does the chrome button  come away with the wooden knob , or does the chrome button stay in place ?

70 sublime

The chrome button is threaded onto the end of the shifter cable that goes down the curved part of the handle
There is a spring under the button that keeps it poped up
After you un screw it all the way it should just fall apart
Only problem is some times the button is stuck at the threaded part and when you try to un screw it it will un wind the cable also but it is the only way to get it off
That is why the knob will try to rewind when you let go (if it is stuck)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Chrome??  The wooden shifter has a black button, the older style chrome shifter has a big chrome button.  You have a wooden shifter knob with chrome button?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NZCharger

your right it is a black button , sorry my mistake

Dino

No biggie.   :2thumbs:

Yeah just unscrew the black button, if it binds because the cable turns then go the other way first (tighten) followed by a quick turn ccw, that should do it.  The cables can stick a bit.

A383Wing

you DO NOT just unscrew the black button, you have to unscrew the woodgrain knob and the black button as a unit.....

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on July 06, 2015, 10:08:14 PM
you DO NOT just unscrew the black button, you have to unscrew the woodgrain knob and the black button as a unit.....

You're right, my bad!

NZCharger

Thanks for all your help guys !  :2thumbs:

VegasCharger

I'm pretty sure 68's are the same :cheers:

NZCharger

Thanks for your help and pics , have got it sorted