News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Roadrunner rm21 to rm23,coupe into hardtop?

Started by cavemanno1, July 04, 2015, 05:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

I was just wondering if you could make the rm21 coded coupe 1970 roadrunner into a rm23 hardtop!
I believe the only difference is between them is the back side window is fixed on the coupe and it rolls down on the hardtop!Am i correct?What would it take to make it a hardtop?

Thanks

polywideblock

I would suggest you go over to the roadrunner nest and ask the  people who are really into these cars and will know all the ins and outs  :yesnod:  :cheers:

http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/

edit : my bad wrong year model       :slap:                       

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

birdsandbees

Why... I love the coupe and it's rarity compared to "hardtops". It's lack of vinyl roof, the neat flip out window etc gives the car a neater look IMHO. What sets you on this "path"??  :shruggy:

That said, door window glass is shorter on the coupe by a good inch. The door window sweeps/wipers are the same (shorter) and I could never find new ones when I repainted my 'Bee in 1989. Also couldn't make the body shop buy me a new drivers window glass from when they soda blasted the key hole with the friggin window down, as there were none available back then!

You'd need the entire window mechanism etc for the rears, new glass for the doors, possibly different tracks/guides. May have to slot the quarter panel for the window to come up thru at the door frame, I can't remember if the coupe just has a rubber filler there with the stainless post or not. If I get time tomorrow I'll open my container and have a peak at my 'Bee and compare it to by 'Bird.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cavemanno1

Thanks guys!

Since i'm not be abke to find a '68 r/t 4 speed i thought i might get a '70 rr.I like the hardtops look when the window is down where as the coupe's just flip out!

Toying with the idea to get one for a bit and i just strated to learn about their code rm 21,23 abd differences!
Found a coupe one for an decent price and just wanted to what would it take to make those windows roll down!
But i guess i'll leave it as is if i buy it!

Thank you!

birdsandbees

I always thought the 'Coupe looked less "family car" !  :icon_smile_big: :popcrn:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

kab69440

If you're pulling your pop-outs, I know a guy that wants to buy them.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

68X426

The reason for the coupe design originally, for 1968, was that the proposed hardtop for the first Road Runners had structurally flaws and the engineers had to re-design the roof for safety (the roofs were from the Belvedere line but not rigid enough for the RR without the post).  The hardtop was not available until March of the '68 production year.  Hence the post (coupe) of August '67 to March '68, and you could not make a '68 coupe into a hardtop without significant work (entire new roof). The post mattered in '68.

Is the entire roof structure of a '70 hardtop the same as the roof structure of a '70 coupe?  To re-phrase this, you need to know if a '70 coupe was purely cosmetic with the post - or - did the post actually serve a structural purpose.  If the answer is cosmetic, then I think it would be easy to modify with good body man.

My vote - coupe!

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Kern Dog

I find it strange that so many automakers had two roof designs like this. What was the logic in this? It obviously cost more money to tool for the different styles, stamp different parts, train workers on the different assembly procedures, stock different parts for both new car builds and crash replacement....
GM did it, Ma Mopar did it... Did Ford??

cavemanno1

Now i missed that car as well,got sold!Bugger,i can not buy anything from here!
It was a nice driver with 4 speed,non original dana 60!
If i bought it i wouldn't change that being rarer then hardtop,accirding to birdsandbees.

Ford did the different roof styl as well,fastback and coupe on their mustang line!

Oh well,the search continuous  :'(

Thanks guy!

Peter

polywideblock

just a word of advise   :yesnod:    don't just settle for "something" , find the one you really  want (just like women ) its worth the wait  :Twocents:

or if its just a case of "I want a 68 -70 b body" you have already narrowed the search down some  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

cavemanno1

Well i know what i want and that's a '68 r/t 4 speed charger!However i became fond of the '68-70 roarrunners and i would love to own one for a bit!I just don't want to wait any longer.Hopefully next year i'll get sponsored so can finally relocate there and find my charger!But in the meantime i try thr rr's out.If i dob't like them could just sell her hete in Europe.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: cavemanno1 on July 04, 2015, 05:50:40 PM
I was just wondering if you could make the rm21 coded coupe 1970 roadrunner into a rm23 hardtop!
I believe the only difference is between them is the back side window is fixed on the coupe and it rolls down on the hardtop!Am i correct?What would it take to make it a hardtop?

Download a copy of the '68 parts manual from mymopar.com, go to section 23 and compare the various parts between the coupe and hardtop (very time-consuming)...you might be surprised at all the parts that are different.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=107
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.