News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on using a shorter than stock 4-speed input shaft

Started by troy.70R/T, June 23, 2015, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have a A-833 4-speed that someone cut the end off of to use in a Chevy. I am aware that using the bearing for 94-2000 Dakota trucks (p# 53009180) installed in the torque converter spot on the crank will allow me to use a shortened input shaft if it is not to short. This method is also used on cranks that did not have the Pilot bushing hole drilled in the crank. I need to know what length the shorter shaft can be cut to. I am hoping mine is not to short. I have no way to check to see  how far it could be cut down.
     I measured a stock length input shaft and it is 11.190 overall length. The one that I have that is cut off is 10.140 overall length. Both were measured while out of the transmission and sitting on a surface plate using a height gauge. This is an A-body transmission and I want to sell it without having to buy another input shaft. However I want to make sure I can explain why I KNOW the short input shaft will work. I don't want to screw anyone over. Anybody shortened theirs???????? :shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

So they cut an inch off?  You'll be fine.  You can cut it down to there's about 2" of shaft past the splines and you should be fine.  I've seen them hacked off with cutoff wheels. If it's apart take it to a machinist to do it right
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

troy.70R/T

There is 1.180 before it starts to hit the taper that goes up to the splines.

troy.70R/T

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: troy.70R/T on July 01, 2015, 10:22:24 PM
the pic in this like to the wanted section is the shaft that I have cut off.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118359.msg1468111.html#msg1468111

you have to shorten them anyways that much if your crank was not intended for a 4 speed...I cut mine off also like inch and half or so don't exactly remember.  if you don't then what happens under 3k miles is you will ruin your engine it starts to grind into the crank and then engine blows up.....YAH I saw it happen a chevy builder built his first mopar in his life didn't cut the input shaft and BAM engine busted and there was a fine grooved into the crank caused by too long of input shaft.

troy.70R/T

Thanks 1974dodgegharger. I wish you could remember exactly how much you shortened it. I think it used to be in the mopar tech archives but I cant find it now. :brickwall:

1974dodgecharger

actually the sticky above tells you...the forum member mentions it.... :icon_smile_big:

Ill check my facebook I remember a photo album I did reparing my 4 speed...

Here is my 4 speed measure yours where its at and then minus how much is needed should not be much.  Remember each crank is different.....I have a 68 steel crank for a 383.