News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

are my tires too wide for my rims

Started by lukedukem, June 10, 2015, 03:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Heck I drive older tires than 1988. But they seldom see the sun, and that's what kills the tires.

ikbrown

Older than 1998 or 1988?? Cuz that's a big difference. Ha. I'm having to replace the tires on the front of my Charger for the first time since buying it back in 2005. Not sure the date on the tires but they were on it when we bought the car. Been garaged since then though so the tires look fine. My fronts got killed by a lack of an alignment and some serious negative camber on my driver side front. Whoops! Getting that fixed this month.

Luke, I think those tires look good!

ACUDANUT

lukedukem

Thanks guys. Just wasn't sure about the height and being close to the fender. But they will work.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

nicjasno

Anything older than 6 years is ancient in terms of tires. The rubber gets hard as plastic. I have a spare tire in my bmw that is 26 years old. Never used, but it's as if its made out of plastic. If i mounted 4 of those to the car, it would be an accident waiting to happen.

375instroke

Some tire manufacturers list 7" as the minimum for a 275/60-15.  Some list wider minimums.  If you want that mounted, just go to a different tire store.  Someone will do it for you.  I've run that size before in back, but the pressure was down to 18psi in order for it to sit flat.  I had a 235/60-15 on a 15X6.5 with 35psi in front.  Both tires looked too big for the rims.  I see your tires are wearing in the middle, a sign of overinflation.  That being said, ideally, that tire is too big for a 7" rim.  Here are some pics I just took of my car.  35psi front and rear.  The 245 may still be too big for a 7" rim.

275/60-15 on a 15X8

245/60-15 on a 15X7