News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brake lights

Started by red72chrgr, June 24, 2015, 04:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red72chrgr

Hey guys, I've got a 3rd gen(72) and am working on the brake lights. Do I need the key on to get the brake lights to work or will they work with it off? They never worked since I've owned it( I didnt drive it on the roads after I bought it) and I know part of the problem could be in the turn signal switch. the turn signals worked and so did the parking/running lights. Thanks for any help. I just really need to know about the key on or off thing.
Nothing personal, just business

Bronzedodge

The brake lights should come on as soon as you press the brake pedal, key on or not.  Someone will have a wiring diagram, all I have is '69, likely different.
Mopar forever!

Bronzedodge

On second thought.  found it.   Brake circuit in text.  From fuse block.  Battery feed buss bar - always hot.  3 20 A fuses from bar.  Bottom is 20 Amp cigar lighter, next up is 20 Amp 2 feed - D21-18BK to Hazard flasher and D3-18P  ( so that is pink ) to Stop Lamp....D3-18P goes to stop lamp switch, this is the brake pedal switch under the dash.  Out from switch as D4-18W ( so it is white now instead of pink)  then to column turn switch - here's where I am unsure of the column turn switch - out as 18BR right rear AND 18DGN left rear, D7 and D8.   (brown and dark green)  Both to six cavity body connector, D7-18BR and D8-18DGN are cavity 6 and 3 respectively.  Straight back to taillights.  Good luck
Mopar forever!