News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ebay/confederate flag ban

Started by jar1292, June 23, 2015, 08:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteWalmart is putting stickers over the front license plates of Bandit 1 on their Smokey and the Bandit movies.  But, if you go into the magazine section, you can buy a Civil War magazine with the flag being displayed loud and proud on the cover.  No plastic cover on it.

If we protest this, they will deal with the discrepancy by hiding the Civil War magazine too.   

skip68

I don't know about all that but I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop saying that "C" word.  "Confederate"   
It offends me.    :nana:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Bobs69

It's all Bullshit.   A bad joke.  Normally I just politely laugh when I hear a bad joke.  These fuckers want to take away all my child hood memories or what.

If some have their way "Dixie" will be gone too.

ACUDANUT

We used to have a Confederate Air Force club here in the Midwest and abroad.  They had to change the name to Commemorative Air Force Because "Confederate" was considered offensive.  If you like vintage planes/WWII, check us out. We have the only flying B-29 called FIFI.

DeltaV

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 13, 2015, 01:45:07 PM
We used to have a Confederate Air Force club here in the Midwest and abroad.  They had to change the name to Commemorative Air Force Because "Confederate" was considered offensive.  If you like vintage planes/WWII, check us out. We have the only flying B-29 called FIFI.

This ad is in my top 3 of all time:

https://youtu.be/XlFD0Zyl_f0
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

wingcar

Here in Arizona they have their B-17G "Sentimental Journey" based at Falcon Field in Mesa.  I remember when they changed their name to be more PC...  Sad that they felt the need to do so, but they wanted to avoid any issues that have since come up regarding anything connected to the Confederacy.

You wait, it will not be long until some group trys to put a stop to their "A-bomb/B-29" ending of the annual airshow they do......(some have already tried, but to the the credit of the organization, they still do the show)

This whole subject has made me want to buy a Confederate flag.  Even though I have never had a desire to own one in the past...
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

oldcarnut

[/quote]

This whole subject has made me want to buy a Confederate flag.  Even though I have never had a desire to own one in the past...
[/quote].  I felt the same way when I bought my AR15 when the gun ban talk started

People just need to get over themselves and stop crying when something doesn't suit them.

el dub

check this out:  http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/full-interview-ken-burns-august-23/  very interesting outlook.

edited: an excerpt:          But Burns recommended that Americans read South Carolina's Articles of Secession to get the real story on why the states went to war against each other.

"[T]hey do not mention states' rights. They mention slavery, slavery, slavery," he pointed out. "And that we have to remember. It is much more complicated than that, but essentially the reason why we murdered each other -- more than 2 percent of our population, 750,000 Americans died; that's more than all the wars from the Revolution through Afghanistan combined -- was over essentially the issue of slavery."
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mike DC

Yes.  

"The Civil War was not about slavery" argument didn't show up until decades later. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: DeltaV on August 25, 2015, 09:57:39 PM

This ad is in my top 3 of all time:

https://youtu.be/XlFD0Zyl_f0

:2thumbs: :cheers:

JB400

Any wagers on how long Mississippi will hold out?  https://news.yahoo.com/last-wave-could-confederate-battle-flag-furl-mississippi-185731335.html

And yes, I spelled Mississippi right the first time :yesnod:

el dub

they will hold out until they realize they are a bunch of racist assholes. Which shouldn't take too long.  How long can you beat a dead horse.

DeltaV

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

Let's just rewrite history books and pretend nothing happened....

ws23rt

Quote from: 440 on October 26, 2015, 09:36:18 PM
Let's just rewrite history books and pretend nothing happened....

:2thumbs: That is what this is all about.

A gambit of emotions that come from interpretations (misguided or not) of history-- fuel the current move to put it out of our minds.
To think about what happened in the past could cause discomfort. It could cause one to think we are still the same creatures and sh"t could happen again. :eek2:

So the move today is to banish symbols of our history from view?  With the motivation being that we as a group will be better for it? :scratchchin:

Do we to remove other references of history in order to (perhaps) protect those to come (our kids) from our past??

This movement IMO feels like a passing political correctness thing and stuff like this does not last long. Those with narrow/twisted views of the way things are (or should be) age at the same rate as the rest of us.

I'm hopeful that the emerging group that will soon speak for us-- gain something from the obvious stupidity we are surrounded with.

They just need to get over the obstacle that perhaps their parents just grew up in a time that did not speak well for for them. :Twocents:

Brass

No one wants to pretend the civil war didn't happen.  Quite the contrary.  They're saying the flag belongs in history books – not displayed as an official symbol of government.  Here is what a West Point historian has to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

Brass

Quote from: 440 on August 26, 2015, 09:07:03 AM
People just need to get over themselves and stop crying when something doesn't suit them.

Agreed but probably not how you think. 

skip68

I wonder just how proud he is of that blue uniform that slaughtered Indians.   You can't pick and choose mistakes from the past and say what's appropriate for today.   It's all or nothing.   That blue uniform has more blood on it than he'd like you to think.  
I do agree with him on several points but for that man to say he's proud of that uniform knowing that that uniform has slaughtered innocent people and children in the past is no different than the south being proud of their ancestors.  
Kinda hypocritical wouldn't you say?   If you're going to acknowledge and throw stones at one sides evil mistakes then you'd better make sure your shit doesn't stink either.  
We all have things to be proud of with our past and things we aren't proud of.   Flags mean lots of things to different people.   Therefore it's not my position or right to tell you what that flag means to you.   Especially if it's not my flag.    :Twocents:  

So, how the hell has the Indians managed to go on with life with the American flag everywhere?    How do they manage to live without crying racism and remove or change the American flag because of the evil it meant to their ancestors?   Why not?   Why just stop with the confederate flag?    If we want to play this righteousness politically correct game then we need to start erasing all symbols that any given group finds offensive. 

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Brass

Quote from: skip68 on October 27, 2015, 01:39:33 PM
I wonder just how proud he is of that blue uniform that slaughtered Indians.   You can't pick and choose mistakes from the past and say what's appropriate for today.   It's all or nothing.   That blue uniform has more blood on it than he'd like you to think.  
I do agree with him on several points but for that man to say he's proud of that uniform knowing that that uniform has slaughtered innocent people and children in the past is no different than the south being proud of their ancestors.  
Kinda hypocritical wouldn't you say?   If you're going to acknowledge and throw stones at one sides evil mistakes then you'd better make sure your shit doesn't stink either.  
We all have things to be proud of with our past and things we aren't proud of.   Flags mean lots of things to different people.   Therefore it's not my position or right to tell you what that flag means to you.   Especially if it's not my flag.    :Twocents:  

So, how the hell has the Indians managed to go on with life with the American flag everywhere?    How do they manage to live without crying racism and remove or change the American flag because of the evil it meant to their ancestors?   Why not?   Why just stop with the confederate flag?    If we want to play this righteousness politically correct game then we need to start erasing all symbols that any given group finds offensive. 

Let's stay on point.  I'm not saying I disagree entirely, but the blue uniform is a separate topic and doesn't detract from the Colonel's message.  And to suggest/question whether the US flag should be handled similarly because of how native Americans were treated is a slippery slope argument and an appeal to extremes.  The US flag is the US flag.   We're talking about the Confederate flag here.

skip68

To me they're one in the same and I consider them linked.   I know the core of the subject and reasoning behind it.       The slippery slope started the moment this flag stuff started.   

Brass

You're still conflating issues.  The difference is the US flag is the flag of our nation; which *includes* the native Americans.  Tribal sovereignty is a form of parallel sovereignty within the US Constitutional framework, and native Americans are US citizens.  On the other hand, there is no confederacy - it doesn't exist.  So why should there be a confederate flag displayed in any official capacity by the US government?  Who is it representing?  While most confederates were pardoned - there are no confederates anymore.  Except maybe the whack jobs.

el dub

And there is a lot of them in the South. And no picking on the blue uniform. They didn't make a move without orders from headquarters. So bash the govt. Or the police, they have blue uniforms.

Removing the flag and dismantling monuments is taking things way to far in my opinion, digging up and removing soldiers remains? I thought war memorials were protected, why should confederate memorials be exempt from this?