News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear shock upper bolts

Started by johnnycharger, June 23, 2015, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi guys
what the hell am I missing? :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
why can't I get these upper bolts out of my shocks???
I can't get the nuts off (insert dirty joke here). I have the car on stands and I can get my impact gun on the bolt heads but I can't fit anything in to hold the nuts (another dirty joke opportunity ). The flange prevents a box end from working and a ratchet won't fit! :brickwall: :shruggy:

1974dodgecharger

rachet should fit up there that's how I got mine out????  You will have to compress the shock by hand a little bit to create wiggle room to remove bolt....

johnnycharger

Thanks. I  have the jack under the axle so that I can move it up and down as needed. I have tried a 3/8 drive ratchet as well as a breaker bar. The head can't get over the bolt to get to the nut. It seems I must be missing something. ..

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 23, 2015, 11:54:19 PM
rachet should fit up there that's how I got mine out????  You will have to compress the shock by hand a little bit to create wiggle room to remove bolt....

Me too.  It's a tight fit but I got my tools up there.  Insert dirty joke?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

johnnycharger

Quote from: myk on June 24, 2015, 09:26:00 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 23, 2015, 11:54:19 PM

Me too.  It's a tight fit but I got my tools up there.  Insert dirty joke?

Several beers and swear words later I got them out. I had to saw off the lower washers. I am hoping I can fix the threads with a die.
Any recommendations on locating replacement  washers?

Lennard

You guys are a funny bunch!   :lol:    You can get washers at any hardware store.

ACUDANUT

I would have used a 1/2 inch drive impact air socket with a swivel.   :Twocents:

johnnycharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 25, 2015, 02:59:16 PM
I would have used a 1/2 inch drive impact air socket with a swivel.   :Twocents:

Yea.... that would probably have been better. Now I am just trying to find the appropriate washers. Seems everyone says they come with the new shocks but mine didn't.

ACUDANUT

Moparparts

I have the correct original cupped washers available used. The center hole in the washer is larger diameter for the inside washer and smaller diameter for the outside washer on the lower shock mount PM or e-mail me if interested