News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake fluid leak

Started by ws23rt, October 16, 2014, 09:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

As I was changing my tires I noticed brake fluid on the passenger side rotor and inside the wheel.  The master cylinder front brake chamber was almost empty.

This is my 69 coronet with bendix disc brakes. Their is now about 100 miles on the car as well as the rebuilt calipers.
So I wiped all down clean and dry and pulled the caliper off. Added a spacer the same as the rotor thickness to the caliper so I could apply break pressure to trace the leak.
Repeated and hard pressure on the system showed no leak. All dry at caliper split line as well as the puck seals. :shruggy:
I am left with putting it back together as I can not see where the leak came from.  I will watch the level and check that area for the time being.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?  A part time leak?

moparnation74

I have never had a brake leak disappear.

My first thought related to the piston seal but you pressure tested it and there was no leak.  Maybe give it 24hours and see if it expels any fluid.   Then take it for a short test drive and see if it pulls, when you brake.

68 RT

The front is for the back brakes.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 16, 2014, 10:59:10 PM

The leak will disappear when the MC goes dry.  :icon_smile_big:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ws23rt

Quote from: 68 RT on October 17, 2014, 10:58:48 AM
The front is for the back brakes.

That's right. That chamber stayed full.  The one for the front brakes (the rear one :lol:) is the one that was low.

ws23rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 17, 2014, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: moparnation74 on October 16, 2014, 10:59:10 PM

The leak will disappear when the MC goes dry.  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks John-- :slap:   This is not an old Harley-davidson  MC :lol:

TylerCharger69

Try applying pressure with the car running, assuming you have power brakes. Might just give that extra pressure for the leak to rear its ugly head.

ws23rt

It's been a while since I posted about a leak in my front brakes. That leak appeared at around 100 miles driven.
Yesterday I got it back on the road for more break in adjusting. --The carbs.---
Another 50 miles or so and still no sign of a leak in the front passenger side. The MC is full. :shruggy:

I know that when a leak happens it's because the system had a failure. The first 100 miles driven were leak free and then I lost almost a MC chamber's worth of fluid in just a few miles on one side. It's now holding full and no leak.

So My next step is to check the MC level often and scratch my head. I like puzzles and this one has an answer that I haven't yet solved. :scratchchin: