News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original 6 red cap battery?

Started by 400sforever, June 15, 2015, 10:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400sforever

So I bought an original looking 6 red cap mopar battery thinking it was going to add a nice touch to my 74 charger. Upon its arrival I couldn't believe how freaking heavy it was especially for the outrageous 299 I paid. I can't stand the thought of putting that in my car now. Anybody know something I dont? Does someone make a lighter weight original looking battery?
1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

BananaDan

Did you get an AGM battery? This is what I have in my car. Yeah, it's a bit heavy but not out of the norm when speaking about car batteries. :shruggy:

http://www.manciniracing.com/reba.html
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

400sforever

Yes that's the exact battery. I had a diehard gold battery in it which was much lighter But didn't look the part of course.Does anyone make a lighter version? My cars suspension moves when I set that monster in there

ODZKing

Yes, I did as well.  My 67 battery I purchased on 2007 finally wouldn't hold enough cranking to start the car so I had to replace it.
Turns out Turbo start sold off the company to another. All their stock went to places like Mancini and Classic Industries. Also Summit who had a GREAT deal. $229 free shipping.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anp-s27mre/overview/
Yes, that sucker is heavy, 35 lbs is what I believe the shipping manifest said.
One of the best batteries you can buy though. No leaking, last a long time. 8 years (seasons) on the other one I had. Just keep it charged in the off-season.

Dans 68

I just ordered one from Summit (thanks for the link!). Good deal from what I can see. And it's weight is 59 lbs according to the website. Gotta keep that front end on the road!  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

charge69

If you think that one is heavy, try a "Group 27" size model !  That is what I needed in my Hemicar! 

One of the big benefits of an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery is they are completely sealed. No sulfuric acid vapors to ruin your paint or cause the battery tray to rust!  Obviously, not a feature I need but, they can also be mounted in any position, even upside down and you still have no worries of leaks or vapors!.

Yes, they are heavy but, worth the extra cost and weight to me. No troubles whatsoever with mine but it has only been installed for about 2 years.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup my Group 27 is lighter by a whole lot!  ;)

28 lbs vs. 59lbs!

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

I just ordered a new AGM for mine last week.

The one it replaces was bought back in March '06.  I need to find the receipt.
Turbo Start had just bought the outfit making them & had no way of accepting money so they sent the battery to me & asked that I pay later.  They trusted me from our phone conversation.
Happens all the time right?

9 years?  I'd say that's pretty damn good.  If it wasn't for both our rigs having new ones it almost makes a person want to replace them with AGM Group 27's.   ;)

Sounds like I didn't do anything special to prolong it as I've been hearing more stories like mine & ODZKing's.
The night before I go cruisin' I'll plug the battery in on the lowest setting for the night.  Here I thought I discovered the trick to longevity.   :icon_smile_big:

400sforever

Did you make that lightweight version yourself , just 6t9 Chgr?

ODZKing

Hmm, I probably mis-read the weight on mine.  It was the group 27 as pictured in the link.  One way or another the damn thing was HEAVY.
And yeah, all I did with mine is put it on the Battery Tender when I know it wont get used for some days.  The tender supposedly guarantees it won't over charge the battery as the AGMs are apparently prone to that if you are not careful.
I still have my old group 27 6T9 if you want to experiment more.  Probably cost a fortune to get it to you though.

472 R/T SE

Or you could be a super special friend & gut it for whoever you're sending it to drastically reducing the weight.

Can any of the guts be recycled?