News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help requested for exhaust build. What system sounds better?

Started by Jduv10007, June 17, 2015, 11:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jduv10007

Hello all. New to the forum but not new to the charger world. I have a 71 charger se with a 318. Nothing special but love her. Anyways it needed a lot of work and she is getting it. I am in the military and away from home so can't do all the work myself. So sad :brickwall: so I put a 383 in her and did a lot of other thing anyways. Here is my question.

I am looking to install a new exhaust system on my 71 charger 383 with tti headers and I am not sure what I am looking for but I want a strong sound. And volume doesn't bother me. What should I be looking for? And what do you recommend? Thanks guys

Jason

Lighthorseman

You're not the only one who wants to know.  I'll be watching for replies too.   :2thumbs:

Thanks for your service, by the way.

twodko

Personally I think the best sound for a stock system is installing new a OEM
system from a company like Accurate Exhaust. This is what I put on my stock
69 440 R/T. IMO there is no sound as sweet as a big block factory system.

With that said, if your car is a resto mod DynoFlow or Borla or
Flow Master 400 series are all very popular.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Yatzee

I prefer the sound of Borla mufflers to the Dynomax or Flowmaster 40's which I had on previously. It's a crap shoot because you have to install them to appreciate their sound. Dynomax to loud and droney, Flowmasters online sound was way off and they were too raspy but Borla's sounded great when you needed them too but very quiet when cruising. There's an online sight you can search that gives the tone and volume comparisons of the most popular brands. Borla's are not listed for your car specifically but you can get the dimensions and orientation information on their sight.

ikbrown

I'd give this recent thread a look since it's exactly what you're asking as well: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,117947.0/topicseen.html

I posted in there but for kicks, I'll tell ya what I have. 383 with hooker headers and I had an exhaust shop create a 3" exhaust using Flowmasters (not sure what series) for the mufflers. They are a general size flowmaster and are just a chamber style muffler without any muffling material in it. I really like the sound.

RDC

I had Dynomax mufflers and didn't like the loud drone while cruising. Switched to Magnaflow mufflers a the car sounds awesome now.

Jduv10007

Quote from: Yatzee on June 17, 2015, 12:39:01 PM
I prefer the sound of Borla mufflers to the Dynomax or Flowmaster 40's which I had on previously. It's a crap shoot because you have to install them to appreciate their sound. Dynomax to loud and droney, Flowmasters online sound was way off and they were too raspy but Borla's sounded great when you needed them too but very quiet when cruising. There's an online sight you can search that gives the tone and volume comparisons of the most popular brands. Borla's are not listed for your car specifically but you can get the dimensions and orientation information on their sight.

I heard from a lot of people that the Flowmaster system is to raspy. I will look into the Borla's system. Thanks for all the responses.