News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New hemi conversion wiring and computer questions?

Started by 1st_charger, October 02, 2015, 03:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1st_charger

Who are you using and who does good work? I'm working on this and was thinking of using plum floored but they no longer offer this for retro fits. To be specific I have a 2009 srt challenger with 6 speed and wiring bumper to bumper computer and pedals. Also have the fob and push to start ignition from the challenger that I would like to keep.

Indygenerallee

www.hotwireauto.com I bought my hot rod harness 5.7 from them and had them remove the VATS and EGR function from the PCM. Very nice stuff!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

1st_charger

Rolling_Thunder

made my own wiring harness and then a factory reprogrammed PCM -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1st_charger

I've got all of the wiring from the parts car (2009 srt8 6speed challenger) and the computer. Many all I need is the computer flashed to remove the stuff that I don't need. I'm at the point where I need  to layout the harness where  it's  going to live just need to know what I need to keep and  what I can get rid of. Guess I just need a little push. Rollingthunder I've looked at your thread some what did you use for your fuel system tank, pump,etc. Thanks for your help everyone I really want to crank this thing over next summer.

Rolling_Thunder

1st Charger - check out the link below - it has pretty much all the info on the harness I made - should be a good start

http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?1530-New-Gen-Hemi-stand-alone-harness

As for the PCM - you can go to Johan over on the LX forums or LXmodguy on pro-touring.com and they should be able to halp you get the PCM flashed....   the existing PCM can no be unflashed if security was already enabled. You would beed to purchase a blank PCM and have it programmed for your VIN with no security enabled.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ponch ®

Quote from: Devil on October 05, 2015, 08:34:52 PM
This new harness from Holley is suppose to drop right on almost any 3g Hemi.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/hp_efi/hp_harnesses/parts/558-107

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1501-hemi-engine-swaps-made-simple-with-new-holley-efi-harness/

Ryan

So if im reading that right, the harness is fairly reasonable, but by the time you buy the holley ECU you're looking at $2500 or so?

that's cray cray.

I'd really love to put a 3rd gen hemi in my satellite, but damn, I might as well drop an LS in for a fraction of the cost... :rotz:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 15, 2015, 08:22:07 PM

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/hp_efi/hp_harnesses/parts/558-107

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1501-hemi-engine-swaps-made-simple-with-new-holley-efi-harness/

Ryan

So if im reading that right, the harness is fairly reasonable, but by the time you buy the holley ECU you're looking at $2500 or so?

that's cray cray.

I'd really love to put a 3rd gen hemi in my satellite, but damn, I might as well drop an LS in for a fraction of the cost... :rotz:
oh no you didnt
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

SRT-440

It's expensive for sure..and way more than an LS swap.

For a gas tank and pump, I used Bochillion Performance (spelling?) and they offer a oem style tank with a in-tank pump and baffles..works great.

I can't help with the factory harness and PCM..I'm using FAST XFI 2.0..and it's expensive..but it already came with the motor when I bought it..otherwise I'd run Holley EFI..it's cheaper and easier to setup. Both FAST and Holley harnesses are plug and play..took me 15 minutes to hook mine up and route it.

The biggest problem I ran into with the swap is space..the hemi is wide..much wider than a big block and LS..makes headers, powersteering, and AC a tight fit and you will have to trim things. I had to take a hammer to my new TTI headers so I could run powersteering..LOL..ouch.

I have a 6.1 and it's accessories are mounted on the bottom which caused a lot of headache for me..but like a truck 5.7 where everything is on top (ac compressor, alt.) it would be easier.

I'm not making near the power I was with my 383 (high compression)..but the hemi is so tame on the street and idles perfect, runs cool, and has "wow factor".

My only regret is not using the TR6060 6 speed trans I had (sold it)..it would be perfect with the extra gears..I have a 727 now with 3.91 gears, so it doesn't like to be over 60 mph.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

1st_charger

Thanks I'll check out that place for the tank and pump I was also looking at it think it's tanks Inc if I remember right they have a tank and pump. I just got my dougs headers I'll post how they fit once I get them on. Also thinking about getting everything hooked up with my electrical and seeing if it will run I'll have the up stream o2 but not the down stream and I have the abs block. We will see.

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparstuart on October 15, 2015, 09:05:31 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on October 15, 2015, 08:22:07 PM

Ryan

that's cray cray.

oh no you didnt

:stirthepot:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West