News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger 440 -- Adding Vintage or Classic AC/Run Hoses Through Fender

Started by Pedal2Metal, June 13, 2015, 11:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedal2Metal

I haven't seen a discussion on this. Preferably the compressor would be mounted below the alternator for a cleaner look, not critical, although I do want to run the hoses through the fender. The issue is where they come out inside the cabin, presumably at kick panel, and routing from there. Will need to close up stock heater hose holes in firewall. This is a non/ac car so the ducting and vents will be a bit of a project..do not like vents mounted under dash. Classic Auto Air now has a center vent assembly that goes in the stock location, but side vents still an issue, I think a new dash is necessary too. Plus the largest condenser I can fit, etc. I'm starting to think it would be best to farm this out to a pro! Any suggestions are appreciated.
32 Oakland V8, 42 Hudson Pickup, 58 Messerschmitt KR200, 60 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz Vert, 65 Ford GT40 351/Webers (CAV), 69 Shelby GT500, 68 Charger 440 R/T, 71 Hemi Cuda Vert 4-Speed Tribute

Dino

Good news!  There's lots of room to play with so you should be able to do what you want, including having the compressor below the alt.  From there it's a short run into the fender and from there you can pretty much run the hoses where you want.  You don't have to exit near the kickpanel, you can run the hoses high in the fender and make a turn where the antenna would be.  Now it's a straight shot into the side of the dash so you can route the hoses any way you want.  The new a/c and heater box will tell you where to run them, meaning it'll show itself.  You don't have to have an a/c dash, you can cut yours, but either way I would install stock a/c vents and that center vent you mention.  It's been hot and humid here lately and I just love going for a drive with the a/c keeping me very comfy.   :2thumbs:

By the way, you don't have to go all nuts with this bigger, better stuff.  That's just blabla to get more of your dough.  I run a stock replacement condenser with a used sanden style compressor, new barrier hoses, new expansion valve, and new drier, and the original evaporator and a/c hardliner atop the inner fender.  This thing gets so cold that it turns the car into a fridge in no time.

I also run a 70's c body 3 core radiator and fan shroud with a 195 degree thermostat and the car never runs hot.  Bigger is not always better, but properly tuned is.  Now if only I could get my carb to understand that.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

:iagree:

i have the same set up & this thing will FREEZE ya out!! & i am in south Texas.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

rebby

I'm actually working on installing my Vintage Air system right now. For the most part, the install is pretty straight forward. The hose routing for this system is exactly as you described through the fender and it does look very clean. My compressor is mounted up top and I do agree that it would be nicer to have it mounted down below (I'm running a mechanical fuel pump at the moment). I'll grab some pics tomorrow and post them up so that you can check it out. I still have the whole front end off the car (including the fenders) so it's easy to see what is going on w/the hoses.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

rebby

Here are a few pics of my setup. As you can see, I still have 2 hoses to run but since I can't crimp them myself, they're staying off until I get the car to the A/C shop for charging. Please excuse the low quality, dark, cell phone pics. I didn't have much time before I left for work this morning. Pics are quite large so I'll just link to them rather than embedding them.

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/image4.jpeg

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/image5.jpeg

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/image6.jpeg

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/image7.jpeg
Curt Rebelein, Junior

Pedal2Metal

Thanks for the info. I like Rebby's setup. Go low from the compressor into the fender and then go high into the passenger side for maximum hide-away. Cap or close the original inlet holes for a clean firewall. I will try to mount the compressor below the alternator. And I still worry about how cold these systems get...or don't get. My 70 Charger R/T shown here (gone now) had a VA system, dynamat, white interior but no tinted glass, stayed too hot in the afternoon here in GA. Now I'm going to a 68 440 triple black...with dynamat again and all glass tinted...so we'll see. Classic Auto Air also has a high-end sister company, Restomod Air, as you may know, that uses a Spal fan that claims highest airflow, but expensive, and there are other bells and whistles I appreciate...but don't need. There is a mag article on a Camaro in Death Valley in the summer with the occupants freezing their butts off...the car had not one but two (one in the trunk) RestoMod systems in it.  Would appreciate Rebby posting more pics as he completes his install. I will do the same when I get to this phase. And other advice/pics welcome from all ! 
32 Oakland V8, 42 Hudson Pickup, 58 Messerschmitt KR200, 60 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz Vert, 65 Ford GT40 351/Webers (CAV), 69 Shelby GT500, 68 Charger 440 R/T, 71 Hemi Cuda Vert 4-Speed Tribute

rebby

I'm at about 90% with my install, just need to finish the wiring and run the duct work. I'll probably get a little more done with that tomorrow before shifting gears to run fuel lines and getting the Sure-Grip installed. I do want to have the wiring finished up before reinstalling the fenders and front clip though.

I can't believe that I forgot about the firewall plate. Here are some more crappy cell phone pics (you get the general idea, no pun intended, one of these days I'll get the SLR out and take some real pics).

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/IMG_0945.JPG

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/IMG_0946.JPG

This is an original A/C car which is obvious from an earlier pic.

https://rebby.com/tmp/charger/GL/IMG_0859.JPG

I'm actually really happy with the final appearance of the Vintage Air kit. If it works as good as it looks/fits, I'll be a happy camper in the end.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

oldcarnut

I'm in the middle of installing my CAA system.  My 70 RR was a non ac car.  I cut the dash and installed factory ac side vents.  Didn't want the under dash vents.  I also used the center dash pad vents.  I took the chrome faced under dash vents and switched them with the unpainted in dash pc's.  Not to complicated at all.  My hoses will be under the hood as I wonder with them mounted under the fender like that, are you exposing them to possible damages from blown tire, road debris, thrown rocks, or whatever trash the tires kick up?  Or, are you going to fab some protective covers for them.

Pedal2Metal

I was going to either leave them exposed (since the car won't be driven all that much) or run them through a flexible plastic conduit like what is used for power cables. Just don't want to bulk up too much under there...