News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console Chrome Restoration

Started by B5 Charger, March 31, 2006, 12:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

I recently started to restore the chrome on my '69 auto console.  I thought I would post some pics in case anyone was interested.  The first thing I did was to send all of the chrome to the platers (3 top plates, back plate, courtesy light housings & carpet trim).  I used A & A chrome plating in Independence MO.  Now that they are back I am starting the detail painting.  I decided to start with the back plate because I figured it would be the most difficult with all of it's tiny fins.

First I had to use some dental picks to clean all of the polishing compound out of the fins.  Then I used Eastwood's PRE painting prep and a toothbrush to clean all of the wax and grease off the piece.  The first picture shows the piece before masking.  I had to decide whether to paint the grooves between the fins with a brush or a spray can.  I decided it would have a much smoother finish with a spray can so I had to mask it off.  I knew I would need some really skinny tape to mask off the fins so I went to the auto body paint store and bought some 3M 1/16" fine line tape.  I used that to mask all the fins and around the edges of the fin opening.  To get the big areas I used regular blue painters tape from Lowe's.  The second pic shows the piece after masking.  Next it was time to paint.  I decided that regular Krylon semi-flat black would do the trick.  I sprayed the first coat dry and than followed it with three more wet coates.  The third pic is during the paint process.  I think it turned out great.  All together it cost me between $75 - $100 to do the back plate including chrome paint and supplies.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks great!   

Another way you could have done it is to lightly coat each rib with Vaseline with a Q-tip.

Paint the piece, then wipe iff the Vaseline.....the paint wont stick to it!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Good job on that. I was thinking something similar to Chris but instead I would do the same kind of prep as you but then just spray the whole thing and then wipe the paint off the tops of the ridges and surround with Goof Off after it dries. I'd go nuts trying to mask off all the edges on a '68 top plate and console cover. :icon_smile_tongue:

B5 Charger

I thought about the Vasaline trick but I thought I would get cleaner results with the tape.  All in all it only took me about 1/2 hour to mask it off.  Having the right tape helped a lot.  But at $8 a roll it should be helpfull.  Anyway, I got it mounted to the console and it looks even better.  Check out the pics.  Now on to the top plates.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ghoste

That looks fantastic.  I used the vaseline method on my back plate and I think between application and cleanup I had darn near as much time as you did into masking so I'm not sure that one method is better or worse than the other.

Shakey

Good stuff B5!  Looks great.

Thanks for the how to with photos.  Very helpful for the do it yourself guys.

B5 Charger

Bull was asking about this thread so I'm bringing it back.  I will post some other pictures later.   ;D

runningman

looks good, I am going to have mine do soon also.  Are you happy with the quality?  Mind if ask how much?  thanks  matt

bull

Thanks for posting the pictures. Sorry I didn't get back to you but I couldn't remember where I found the thread. It was one of those times when I was just browsing around and ran across it. Did the plating process goof up the ribs/fins (whatever) at all?

B5 Charger

It was $320.00 to have all three top plates and tne back plate done.  The ribs looked great on top but the grooves between didn't look so hot.  It looked great once I got paint in the grooves.  Better than factory.   :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: B5 Charger on July 20, 2006, 11:45:26 PM
It was $320.00 to have all three top plates and tne back plate done.  The ribs looked great on top but the grooves between didn't look so hot.  It looked great once I got paint in the grooves.  Better than factory.   :icon_smile_big:

Pardon my ignorance on the '69 console but I gather the rear plate you have pictured is the only piece that's similar to the '68s, correct? In order to do what you did on mine I would have to tape off that piece plus all the fins/ribs across the top of the top plate and console lid too, not to mention that little piece that curves up and the back of the top. Yeesh! But that sounds like a good price on the chroming. I assume also that the piece you're starting with has to be semi decent to begin with.

B5 Charger

My pieces were decent to start with.  The '69 console has a woodgrain inlay where the '68 had the ribs.  Good luck.  I personally would mask and spray it but I know some people don't have my patience.  What I didn't say before is I actually masked mine off, sprayed it, unmasked it and screwed up the paint.  Then I had to strip it and start all over again.  The second time I got it right.  Patience is the key and a lot of free time.   ;D