News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve Guide Seals - leaking Exhaust

Started by RollinThunder, April 19, 2015, 11:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollinThunder

I have what appears to be a #8 leaking exhaust valve guide.  Passenger exhaust tip is oil fouled and the #8 exhaust manifold port has oil all around the port.  Drivers side exh pipe tip is dry, as well as the #8 spark plug, are dry.  Compression is very good.  I am using a quart of oil every 600 miles.  It appears to me that oil is being pushed out from the #8 cylinder, via the exhaust valve guide.
Heads using stock type valve guide seals.  My question is, can I put an intake valve guide seal on this exhaust valve?  In an attempt to control oil usage. 

cdr

i think there is more than just a valve stem seal problem,possible cracked guide ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RollinThunder

Heads are reconditioned 452 with new iron guides (supposedly - I did not disassemble to verify).  I will check for cracked guide when the OTC 4573 spring compressor arrives.  Can there be a leak between the guide and the head casting?  If so, could it be fixed on the car with some Indian Head Shellac?  Maybe worth a try?

John_Kunkel

Do you know what type of stem seals were installed, if any?

Early motors used the same umbrella seal on the intake and exhaust but many modern gasket sets use a shorter seal on the exhaust, the theory being that the lack of vacuum on the exhaust means it needs less seal. So, if the short seal is on the exhaust, there's no reason you couldn't use the longer intake seal.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Your terminology is a little confusing.  

Does the motor smoke?  It is hard to imagine that you would have oil at the tailpipe without it smoking.  Guess it might be possible.

I guess you came to this conclusion because the plug is clean.  Did you pull all of the plugs and check them?  If there is oil around the outside of the exhaust manifold port, it is probably a leaking valve cover gasket.  If it is just black, it is probably an exhaust leak.

When were the reconditioned heads installed.  And when did the oil consumption problem begin......same time?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

RollinThunder

Thanks John and BSB67.

Currently has the modern seals with the short seals on the exhaust valve stems.

All plugs are dry.  Motor smokes during an initial hot restart.  Oil leaking out is black.

Waiting for the OTC-4573 to arrive.  I'll keep you posted.

RollinThunder

Pulled the valve spring off. Everything looks fine.  I can see the new iron guide insert.  Passed the wiggle test with flying colors.  No cracks seen/found.  Went ahead and replaced the long umbrella stem seal with an intake valve stem seal (on #8 exhaust).  I'll have to get a few miles on it to see if it fixes/helps.

RollinThunder

Just an update.  Now have 700 miles since putting an intake vale stem seal on the #8 exhaust.  Instead of adding a quart of oil, I am happy to report the passenger side tail pipe is dry and I have used only a 1/4 quart of oil.    ;)