News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what holley carb do you guys suggest?

Started by Stegs, June 08, 2015, 06:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

went looking at holley 750 or 770 carbs...the have all different models

what do you suggest

demon, street demon, avenger...etc?

XH29N0G

Other's can give better advice, but I can guess about a few questions that will be important.  From another post, I see you have a 440 and a 600 cfm carburetor and assume you will mostly drive on the street.  What transmission and gearing do you have?  How much do you plan on putting into setting up the carburetor? 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Stegs

Quote from: XH29N0G on June 08, 2015, 07:04:53 AM
Other's can give better advice, but I can guess about a few questions that will be important.  From another post, I see you have a 440 and a 600 cfm carburetor and assume you will mostly drive on the street.  What transmission and gearing do you have?  How much do you plan on putting into setting up the carburetor? 

727 trans, and as far as setting up a carb...from what i see these holley carbs are bolt on and go? are they not?

Ghoste

Largely.  I like the old tried and true 750 with vacuum secondaries but many (most?) on here like the double pumper with mechanical secondaries.  The Pro Form bodies have a lot of endorsers here too.

Back N Black

I have the 770 Avenger and like it, no problems and great trottle response.

Stegs

Quote from: Back N Black on June 08, 2015, 08:58:00 AM

are they bolt on and go? or require alot of tuning out of the box?

Also, will i be able to use the linkage i have now with a eddy carb? do i need to order a adaptor of some kind to fit the holley?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Stegs on June 08, 2015, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on June 08, 2015, 08:58:00 AM

are they bolt on and go? or require alot of tuning out of the box?

Also, will i be able to use the linkage i have now with a eddy carb? do i need to order a adaptor of some kind to fit the holley?
Throttle lever #20-7
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: Ghoste on June 08, 2015, 07:31:53 AM
Largely.  I like the old tried and true 750 with vacuum secondaries but many (most?) on here like the double pumper with mechanical secondaries.  The Pro Form bodies have a lot of endorsers here too.

I agree with Ghoste. More than likely you are going to be cruising this on the street where the vacuum secondaries are the most efficient IMO. Where the Holley 750/780 double pumper vacuum secondaries work great.

I had a 68 Charger with a 440 268XE Comp Cam, headers, automatic, 3.23 sure grip that ran great and posted best 13.98 et at 102 mph Zmax Charlotte. This car had a blueprinted 650 Holley with mechanical secondaries. I always felt like the 750 with vacuum secondaries would have given the car a little more mid and top end, but never tested it to be sure. I would go with the vacuum secondaries if I had to do it all over again.

ACUDANUT

XH29N0G

My understanding is that they can be pretty close out of the box, but sometimes there are things you will want to do.  They cannot be ideally suited for all engines, but my understanding is they come pretty close.  The adjustments are not difficult and if there is an issue you can post and get thoughts.  I had to adjust the pump cam  and jets slightly on a 670 street avenger to deal with a slight hesitation when initially on the throttle.  I recently had to adjust jets on another to deal with a rich situation.  Calling the carb companies can often get you just what you need if anything. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: XH29N0G on June 08, 2015, 04:17:33 PM
My understanding is that they can be pretty close out of the box, but sometimes there are things you will want to do.  They cannot be ideally suited for all engines, but my understanding is they come pretty close.  The adjustments are not difficult and if there is an issue you can post and get thoughts.  I had to adjust the pump cam  and jets slightly on a 670 street avenger to deal with a slight hesitation when initially on the throttle.  I recently had to adjust jets on another to deal with a rich situation.  Calling the carb companies can often get you just what you need if anything. 

Never heard of a pump cam ?  :scratchchin:

XH29N0G

Maybe used the wrong term - by pump cam I meant the little plastic pieces that operator the lever on the accelerator pump.

Or maybe it protects us. 

cdr

i just put a 750 street demon on my 512, it runs awesome.  easy to tune.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

69wannabe

Quote from: Ghoste on June 08, 2015, 07:31:53 AM

X2 Ghoste!!!! The old 3310's are hard to beat in my book. I like these and the 4779 double pumper carbs too. I have used the street avenger carb's and they seem to work ok but had to do some jetting on a 670 street avenger to get it to run decent on my old 383. Had to jet it up six or seven jet sizes to get the off idle stumble out of it. I still wonder if the summit brand carbs are any good?? they are very decently priced and I have read some good review's but haven't seen one on anything around here...

ACUDANUT

Ain't Demons just overpriced Holleys ?

Charger-Bodie

I have a summit 750 vac secondaries for sale. Nice carb ,but i went bigger. Id give you a hell of a deal on it. its basically new.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ACUDANUT

I'll take it if the price is right. What are you asking ? Any pic's ?

myk

Summit has their own brand of 'carbs?

69wannabe

Quote from: myk on June 10, 2015, 09:47:45 AM
Summit has their own brand of 'carbs?

Yes, they bought out an old holley design and improved on it from my understanding. They offer 600 and 750 vacuum secondary and a mechanical secondary 750 cfm. I have read several review's online and most seem to be positive. Be a good performance replacement for a mild street engine I bet!!!!

myk

I wonder what Holley 'carb the Summit one is based on...

XH29N0G

The material I see indicates the 4010 series.

Quote from: myk on June 11, 2015, 07:33:59 PM
I wonder what Holley 'carb the Summit one is based on...

Or maybe it protects us. 

69wannabe

Yeah, it's based on the old 4010 and 4011 series carbs that just didn't catch on back when they were released. It was actually a good design but to swap jets you have to take the top of the carb off instead of the regular holley just popping the bowl of the front or rear and doing a quick jet swap and bolting the bowl back on. I would like to try one on my dad's old ford truck but the old eddy 600 still works pretty good for now.

myk

I've always wanted a 4160, been thinking about it for a while.  You make your decision yet, OP?

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ACUDANUT

Good info, but it's a different carb than I was talking about.  The one you pointed out looks more like a carter design.  I know Demon also sells a Holley type too.  :scratchchin: