News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New post about an old problem

Started by RECHRGD, May 19, 2015, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don duick

I have same problem with my MSD 6AL when  my voltage drops below 12V. Relay fixed the problem. On another occasion my wire from the alternator fell off and when the battery voltage dropped the problem came back.

RECHRGD

Note to self:  if you have a defective part, do not throw it back in your parts box.  Waisted time today trying my old voltage regulator out.  It was bad and I should have known.  NAPA has a new one coming for me.  To be continued.....
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

OK, went to get the VR from NAPA. It was the stronger unit that was suggested (VR34?) but was not a physical match for mounting as expected.  I decided to get the standard unit (VR32) because of the physical compatibility and just for testing purposes.  Upon further reflection, I decided to research getting another electronic restoration unit like the one that has been in use for over ten years.  Keep in mind that about four or five years ago I upgraded to a high amp alternator (68amp at idle and 103amp at cruising speed).  When finding some tech info on the electronic unit, I discovered that it is not rated for alternators over 65amp.  I realize that the amp rating on any alternator is only what it is capable of, depending on demand.  Over the last several years I may have reached the limit of the electronic unit with the use of an electric fan (no longer installed) and upgraded stereo.  The electronic unit may have been degraded during during those events.  So there lies the problem, do I just get another electronic unit and carry on without the fan or what?
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Went ahead and installed the OEM mechanical VR today just to see what would happen.  Started the car up and the voltmeter was at a little under 13 volts, but it slowly crept up to a little above 13.  I checked the voltage at the battery and it read 14.2, so I was good to go.  Keep in mind that with the electronic VR the voltmeter would instantly jump to 13+ volts when started.  I took the car for a good long drive and no dropouts even under the conditions that it would have before.  The goofy thing is, the voltmeter would read higher than before (close to 15 or better) when going down the road above 2000rpm and drop to under 13 at slow speeds or idle.  The electronic unit was always rock steady at 13+ volts.  After driving for over an hour and heading home at 25mph it dropped out a couple of times with the voltmeter reading low.  The battery is probably over five years old.  Seems to me that that big ol alternator should be keeping the volts up even at idle.  Maybe get a new battery and have the alternator checked.  Anything else come to mind guys?
13.53 @ 105.32