News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mystery Thunk Sound -FIXED

Started by HeavyFuel, May 21, 2015, 06:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Ok guys.  Can you  help me identify the source of this sound?

It's a thunking sound that occurs in the front suspension...or brakes.  

It happens when I'm backing up, most of the time when applying the brakes, but not aways.  I haven't been able to nail down a distinct pattern yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=200p-OuK5ng&feature=youtu.be

Baldwinvette77

It sounds like it could be the brakes, something sticking?  :shruggy:, idunno,  :think:

Ghoste

HeavyFuel

Spec torqued the struts already.

The other day I was on level ground, maneuvering around in the street to move the car to another stall and it popped like five times.   :eek2:

green69rt

Does it usually happen when you first apply the brake?

HeavyFuel

Quote from: green69rt on May 21, 2015, 09:56:46 PM
Does it usually happen when you first apply the brake?

Yes, most of the time.   :scratchchin:

JB400

Only when you back up?

polywideblock

sounds like your pads are hanging up on the slides, leaving a gap between piston and back of pad

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

HeavyFuel

Not just when I back up, but I'd say a majority of the time its when backing.   

Slow speeds mainly......slowly applying the brakes.  Does it a few times, then quiet.  Till the next time I go slow or stop, then it starts over.  But not all the time.    :shruggy:

skip68

I'm going with brakes, wheel bearings or possibly a steering bushing or shock bushing.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

HeavyFuel

Quote from: skip68 on May 21, 2015, 11:31:50 PM
I'm going with brakes, wheel bearings or possibly a steering bushing or shock bushing.   

All that stuff is new...

JB400

I'm thinking something with the brake adjusters is binding, then breaking loose, causing the popping.

green69rt

Just did a brake job with new pads (disc brakes?)   Maybe something loose, get back in there and make sure everything was installed correctly and all the bolts and pins are tight.

Next, on a new disc brake job there is a thing to be nstalled that prevents the pads from thumping, clicking,clacking (waht ever sound you car makes) when the brakes are first applied.  It's usally looks like some kind of rubber band.   Many mechanics leave them out for what ever reason.

in the pic below it's called an "o" ring.  Really needs to be installed.  If it's not there, on both sides, you could get the darndest clunking that will drive you crazy trying to find.

For more info look at B5blue's thread...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116494.msg1444405.html#msg1444405

HeavyFuel

Interesting.    :scratchchin:    But I don't think my calipers have any thing like that, or a way to put them on.

Responding to the inquiry of 'new' brake job, it's a couple years old.  Every wear part north of the firewall was replaced during the rebuild, which was completed in July 13.

So the pads and calipers have about 3,000 miles on them.  No noise front the brake or front end until this spring.

Well, I have to take something back.......the only thing that I didn't replace on the front end is the disk rotor and bearings.  It looked like the car had a brake job done in the mid-late 1970's, before it was put into semi-retirement.

Could the caliper pistons be hanging up in the cylinders and then releasing and clacking against the disk rotor?  The goofy thing is, sometimes the sound happens when pressing the brake pedal, sometimes it happens when I'm not on the brakes.

:brickwall:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95015.msg1200826.html#msg1200826

HeavyFuel

Richard E. put out this information, so it's probably not the pistons/cylinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOoncW9kB_I

DeltaV

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

paironines

I've heard it before in my old 69 but it had drum brakes. I never found out what it was but I assumed it was the drums and shoes or the torsion bar clunking because of the push/pull of the brakes.

70 sublime

Is it any different if you are going straight or turning ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

2fast4u

Sounds like a drum brake shoe popping back into place!    :Twocents:
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Challenger340

Upper Control Arm Bushing ?

usually heard when in reverse, and you apply Brakes for the first time in rewind.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Back N Black

Check where the lower control arm pivots on the K frame, they are known to crack in that location. :Twocents:

rt green

disconnect the sway bar and see if it goes away.  another thought was control arm bushing
third string oil changer

69wannabe

My charger does this sometimes too!!! Front end is completely rebuilt with new upper and lower ball joints and upper and lower control arm bushings. Also new strut rod bushing's and new front shock's. The sway bar is an addco replacement and it is new too. It doesn't happen alot but it happens sometimes and only when backing up as I mash the brake pedal. Been making that little popping sound for years but the front end is tight so I haven't really worried much with it.

HeavyFuel

Thanks for the tips.  :yesnod:

The next couple weeks are booked solid.....but after that I'm definitely going to get to the source of this noise.   :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 24, 2015, 11:01:01 AM
Is it any different if you are going straight or turning ?

It seems more consistant if I'm turning and going backward and braking at the same time.   :scratchchin: