News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Block 727 Transmission

Started by mopar0166, May 21, 2015, 08:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

OK,

after a successful road trip to OCMD and back I now have to deal with the issue from my transmission that started when driving down the NJ parkway last week.  Car Specs - 1969 charger, 440 ( est 550 hp), TCI super street fighter transmission) B&M torque converter. about 650 miles on new trans mission and converter.

the transmission began to squeal during the 2-3 shift and wont do it when id let off the gas and shifted it manually.  then I noticed once and a while the reverse was slipping.  1-2 seemed OK, but I had to baby it a bit to get me home.  checked fluids etc all seemed good. 

Wrote TCI and email today and expressed my displeasure on the crappy performance of their product. 

I guess my questions are  , 1 - whats the best performing and strong trans/converter setup for a stout 440?  I know through reading many of the threads that this is not a new issue with TCI, any suggestions to proceed? 

If I buy another transmission, I want the best cause I actually wanna drive the car and not just look at it. 

thanks in advance   :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

Sounds like a sealing problem in the front clutch (sealing rings/rubber seals), a rather easy fix. You might want to have it repaired rather than replace the whole works.

If you decide to go with all new John Cope at Cope Racing Transmissions has a good rep among the Mopar crowd..

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/index.php?cPath=97&osCsid=689d3e5f592b211b8d27c0edc0c37fb2
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar0166

I was looking at his stuff yesterday, then claimed down talked to my buddies in the biz and then decided to try to adjust the bands, and then use better fluid then TCI originally recommended. I don't think theier tech dept is to tech savy on their own product.  I was thinking of getting the type f fluid,  people with built 727 transmissions are raving about it , any thoughts? 

If that fails I think I will be calling them .    What's even funnier is TCI doesn't even make 727 super street fighters any more. 

Can John cope build a transmission to take power and last with excited driving.  any idea on what a super street fighter equalivant cost for something that can handle 550+ hp?

Thanks Again. 

John_Kunkel

Band adjustment won't help 3rd gear slippage nor will a different fluid.

ACUDANUT

john108

I got John Copes 727-3CRT Transmission.  Automatic shift for a 550 HP engine.
It was $2600 which included upgraded parts: ultimate sprage, billet drum, other parts as listed on his website, Core charge, shipping box, shipping.
My car is not ready and I still have it in the box.

mopar0166

ill update ya when I get done servicing it this week, I didn't have time over the weekend

the cope transmission looks good. 

I wont say it was slipping, but it made a short quick squeal when shifting

TCI wont help me and even told me the fluid they originally recommeneds was wrong.  I sent them the emails that I had documenting it but still say it should of been there fluid or nothing

What BS

BSB67

Quote from: mopar0166 on May 21, 2015, 08:12:26 AM

1 - whats the best....... strong trans/converter setup for a stout 440? 

I'm always curious what people mean when they say this?  The ultimate sprag and a billet drum probably makes sense for non-low band apply and/or auto shift trannys.

Probably most of what John sells is stuff either made by or designed by Rick Allison at A&A Transmission near Indy.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

mopar0166

I was just saying if im buying another transmission, I need something that will take a good beating and keep going.  I don't race it at the track but I like to have fun.    the tci transmission was suppose to do this and well it didn't even get to 1k miles . 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: mopar0166 on May 26, 2015, 03:43:52 PM
I wont say it was slipping, but it made a short quick squeal when shifting

Your statement "1-2 seemed OK, but I had to baby it a bit to get me home" was a little ambiguous.

Calif240

I have an A&A tranny... some of the best $$ spent on my Charger, and super nice and knowledgeable guys. If you tell them what you're looking for, they're pretty honest about telling you what you need and don't need and where to invest extra in terms of durability and performance. Great product.
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.