News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 rebuild

Started by justcruisin, May 07, 2015, 06:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justcruisin

I have recently been bitten by the drag racing bug. I am intending fitting up some drag radials and a 3.91 gear. The trans shifts well for a stock trans and doesn't over heat and as far as I know is untouched. It is the original matching numbers trans on my 71 R/T Charger. I don't want to grenade it if at all possible. I have rebuilt the engine and the rear myself but have never opened a trans bar a filter change. I Have intended to pull it down before but I think know is the time. Can I have some suggestions on what to do to it so it will handle a bit of abuse. ( I am looking to run mid to low 12's). Also what is a good source of info. Thanks.

Mopar Nut

Monster transmissions or TCI transmissions, both have rebuild kits or rebuild services.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

John_Kunkel

I'd recommend Bulkpart for the parts.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A727

Their performance kit with red-lined bands and a Transgo TF-2 kit if you're going to retain the auto shift.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

justcruisin

Thanks for the reply's, I have ordered Carl Munroe's book on 727's. I'm sure I will have questions to ask as I go.

grdprx

Great book!  I'm a novice, and I've gutted my 727 with this book. Steered me right every time.

John_Kunkel

Munroe's book is a great reference but, for the novice builder, I still think the FSM for your exact year is better because it includes all the subtle nuances that can change from year-to-year.

c00nhunterjoe

If you are mechanicly inclined, then get the fsm and go for it yourself. They are not that bad. Be sure you have a big CLEAN table to work on so you can spread everything out in order to make your life easier. There are a few special tools you need but they can be made, ie pump puller, seal guards. Be sure to air check it before you lut the valve body back on and button it up.

justcruisin

I will pull the trans in about two weeks as I want to use it this weekend, from looking at the location of the pressure test port it is a 71 trans. From memory it's the original for the car. Where is the best source for a service manual. Is there any difference in the trans when behind the 440 magnum in a 71 R/T.

c00nhunterjoe

There is a part number stamped in the case on the left side in the pan rail lip, right above the pan seam, almost centered below the shifter lever. Decode the trans using that.

John_Kunkel

The only way to know if it's original to the car is the partial VIN stamped in the raised boss on the passenger side of the bellhousing.

justcruisin

This is the cars Vin - WS23U1A149299

Trans # PK3515848L  3435  2394

Right side has the partial vin - 1A149299

At least that's what I can make out from laying on the ground.

Stegs

i highly recommend a tf-2 shift kit

made a very nice improvement on my trans....i feel like this is how they should have left the factory!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: justcruisin on May 11, 2015, 02:23:19 PM
This is the cars Vin - WS23U1A149299

Trans # PK3515848L  3435  2394

Right side has the partial vin - 1A149299

At least that's what I can make out from laying on the ground.

Your trans is correct and numbers matching original.

You can download a '71 Plymouth FSM at the link below, the transmission section will be the same as Dodge.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

ACUDANUT

Does a numbers matching Tranny help when you want to make it a dragster. ?  I would say no.  :Twocents:

justcruisin

Thanks for the info John.

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 12, 2015, 02:14:36 PM
Does a numbers matching Tranny help when you want to make it a dragster. ?  I would say no.  :Twocents:

Quite right, but that's not what this about, John was helping me with identifying the trans so I can access the correct info for the overhaul.

Good to verify that the car has all its original running gear all the same.

Bronzedodge

I'll second what John said.  I have both Carl Munroe's book and the FSM for my '69.  You do really need both.
Mopar forever!

justcruisin

I have striped the trans down and found the front drum is damaged, it looks like it has been dropped at some stage. Is this reason for concern in a street/strip situation?

All else seems to be in good condition, anything I should be looking for before I order parts and at what point should a steel front planet be considered?

John_Kunkel

You could smooth out the area with a rotary burr/sanding drum but the missing chunk could cause balance problems...I'd replace it.

justcruisin

It has been in the car like this for some time and I have had no vibration issues, but I think left in there a failure will allways be on my mind.

justcruisin

My reaction shaft appears to have been changed, the number on it is 246685 which I think is a 78 and up shaft. In Munroe's book it covers a mod to allow more oil to the front clutch piston for the 71 and up shaft. This shaft appears to be different than described, is the feed hole in my shaft OK as it is?

justcruisin