News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Center console door

Started by hotrod05, May 17, 2015, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod05

On the center glove box door there are 5 posts that are suppose to be attached to the metal flange with 5 self tapping nuts. All 5 posts are stripped and the nuts do not catch the posts anymore. Any suggestions on how I am fix this without buying a new door. Thanks for the help.

kab69440

Did you try new nuts? The threads are not terribly deep to begin with and those stamped nuts will not take much torque to strip.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

cdr

i dont remember what size , but i taped them & put regular nuts on them  #6, 8, or 10 not sure
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hotrod05

I did try new nuts, the post are not long enough to catch the nut anymore. I am going to try to tap them and put on regular nuts and a small washer. The cast aluminum is very soft so I'll see what happens. Thanks for the advise.

Brock Lee

I did what you are thinking about doing. Tapped the stems for real nuts. It has been working fine so far. I do think I had to use lock washers with them as with the flat washers, the nuts loosened up over time. It was 10 years ago, so I am not 100% on that, but I seem to remember having to make that change.

mopar0166